FS - Ko'olau Model 200 Tenor - Spruce/Figured Koa, Rope Binding, Satin

Telperion

Reaction score
SOLD - Ko'olau Model 200 Tenor - Spruce/Figured Koa, Rope Binding, Satin

SOLD
Greetings, Everyone. I have another nice ukulele for sale. This one is a Ko'oalu Model 200 Tenor. It has a beautiful sitka spruce top that has nice figure to it. Sides and back are highly figured koa. The top of the instrument is rope bound, but there is no back binding. Abalone rosette and a nice label signed by John, Noa, and Andrew. Finish is satin. It is currently strung with a brand new set of Ko'olau Gold regular strings, which really seem to match the uke well. There are no electronics or any other aftermarket modifications to the instrument. This is a wonderful playing uke. The build is fairly light, the action is great, the neck is smooth. It is one of the easiest to play ukes I have ever owned. Excellent volume and projection. The spruce creates a clear and vibrant tone that I think will continue to get better over time.

I'm selling this to help cover some of the cost of a custom build that will be completed later this year. I purchased it locally from the original owner in the fall of 2011. who purchased it brand new from Gryphon Strings in 2008. The original owner was an avid guitar and mando player, but didn't really play uke. However, he loved his instruments and always kept this one properly stored and humidified (as I have since). It's in excellent condition overall, with only a few minor cosmetic blemishes. The first issue (which I could not capture in a photo) is some light nail strumming marks in the finish on the upper bout. These are faint and only show when held at a certain angle under bright light. The second issue is a slight discoloration in the rope binding at the joint on the bottom edge. It is very small and probably pretty nit-picky, but I want to point it out nonetheless. There is no separation or anything like that, I think it is just that the joint is visible and not quite as clean as it could be. The last issue is that there is a ~1-2mm ding on the top on the bottom bout (right side, if facing the uke). This appears to be in the finish only, but again shows up in the right light. These last two issues are detailed in the fourth photograph. To me, all of these things are quite minor, but I know many of you are extremely particular with condition, so I want to make sure there is full disclosure.

Overall, great example of a 'K' brand uke. This Ko'olau was purchased for SOLD new, and I think it would still be a great value today at SOLD in it's used state. It's really a high caliber instrument and will hold its own with the best. I'm asking SOLD, which will include the original Ko'olau hardshell case (in great condition), an Oasis uke humidifier, and an extra (new) set of Aquila Nylgut strings. I will also pay for PayPal fees and shipping costs within the CONUS.

Thanks for looking and please get in touch with any questions or comments.

Koolau 1.jpgKoolau Back.jpgKoolau Back 2.jpgKoolau Blemishes.jpg

Last edited:
Here are a few more photos.... a good one of the top. The figured sitka shows up well in this one.

koolau front 2.jpgP1080641.jpgKoolau Label.jpgKoolau with UU Sign.jpg

Whoa, yet another great uke at a great price.

Nice uke...I want it! Gotta sound sample? Also, where are you located?
Glenn

Glenn,

I live in central MA. I don't have a sound sample for this uke, and I'm not well set up to do one at the moment. On top of that, the strings literally are brand new. I just put them on today, so there will be a break-in period. I can say that whoever purchases the uke can have it for a few days to make sure they are happy with it. If not, I'll accept a return for any reason, so long as it comes back in the same shape and the buyer pays the return shipping. I'm pretty sure that the buyer will be happy with the sound though. Some of you know that one of my reasons for selling is that I just got a Moore Bettah tenor a couple months back and that's mostly what I've been playing. However, I've picked up the Ko'olau a few times since then, and it stands up pretty well. I actually had to stop picking it up because every time I do I start thinking "maybe I should just keep it." It's a really sweet player. Whatever the case, I want to make sure that whoever buys it is happy and has no regrets. Hope this helps.

-Steve

The Ko'olau has been sold. Thanks to everyone for their interest and comments.

-Steve

Top Bottom