Sideways Eight Ukes. mostly just finished

mrhandy

Reaction score
HI All I decided to update this post with what is still available and add a new uke to the listing. please feel free to ask for more info on any of my ukes I would be happy to send more pics and info.

Still for sale,

Mahogany Soprano, asking $550 shipped

Guanacaste or Ear Tree Tenor, currently strung Low g... played in video high g. Asking $800 shipped. SOLD!

Camphor Tenor with pickup, asking $850 shipped.

NEW! Eucalyptus Tenor solid Body Electric with matching Mini Amp! Asking $850 shipped. Video of this one coming up.

[video]www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=629559083119[/video]

002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg

More pics and Videos in post 2 below...

Last edited:
More Pics and Video sound sample.

007.jpg008.jpg009.jpg

Yes it is raining outside and there is a little thunder at a couple points, welcome to Sunny Florida! I'm not complaining we have been in drought for a good 5-6 years.

[video=facebook;627295175009]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=627295175009[/video]

Last edited:
Beautiful sounding ukes and rain! I really like the sound of those ukes--would have a hard time selecting my favorite. That being said, I sure wish we could get some of that rain in Illinois!!!!

Hey!

Just my 2 cents...

I played and inspected a Tenor Sideways 8 Uke at a recent TBUS jam, and it was well made, great sounding and great looking.

I have not been compensated for my opinion, but that being said. Andrew... wink wink.. :)

Seriously, I was really impressed! The sound hole smelled great too!

JT

Thanks for the Kind words JT, but i'm not sure how to take that sound hole comment... :p

JT-its not just me that's weird?
First thing I do with a Uke acquisition: Stick my nose in the soundhole !
Old ones/new ones -doesn't matter

JT-its not just me that's weird?
First thing I do with a Uke acquisition: Stick my nose in the soundhole !
Old ones/new ones -doesn't matter

Heck no! sound hole smell is important! Eddy Finn ukes even uses special oils to sent theirs.

:)

I was being Serious. Ask your wife Andrew! She was showing me your uke when you got pulled away to help that guy with whatever, I took a good snoot full of sound hole :)

JT

I believe you JT, I have seen lots of people do this. And the Camphor has to be one of the best smelling woods for this, at least IMO.
I was actually a little scared when I first started building with it that it would be overpowering but it is perfect and is nice and mild... I have milled big camphor trees and let me tell you after 4 hours standing shin deep in camphor saw dust it can get to you, headaches and it can make you a little loopy, especially if you don't drink enough water and it's 95* and sunny.

We cut a camphor tree that had a bee hive in it, the whole center of the tree was hollow and full of bee hive and honey. All the wood surriunding the hive was high figure and smelled like vicks and honey, it would have made an absolutely amazing uke... it's a shame most of it went to the wood turners... at least to a luthier it is.

Ouch! got bit by my Jointer today and tore up my left index finger... luckly didn't get the bone and should heal on its own, but no woodworking for at least a few days and no playing till I can fret again with the finger... now I could really stand to get these ukes out of my sight, and pay off the doctors...
Ooh well at least a week of being board, no ukes, no golf, no beach, no gym, I'm gunna go crazy.

I had a request for more pixs of the sycamore uke so here they are...
001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg

The Sycamore uke is sold. and it went to a home not far from me at all... so maybe it will visit. :)

I'm the one who bought the Sycamore tenor. I got it for several reasons. First I had never heard of sycamore being used for instruments and I thought it would be cool to have one made of it. Second, it was so totally different from my other ukes, mostly koa or mahogany. The sycamore kinda looks like maple but is more mellow with good projection. Finally, I think this young man has a real future in ukulele's. I checked his other tenors and was really tempted with the Camphor. It really sounded great and smelled great, too!
He has been using alot of Florida woods which is interesting. I am very pleased with this tenor.

Wow - joiners and planers are so dangerous. Sounds like you didn't lose anything permanently. Take good care of the wound and try to relax for a week or so - that happened to me so many times when I was a carpenter (for 20 years, 20 years ago). It will pass, be grateful it's not worse. I'm very fortunate that I still have all my digits - albeit with minor damage.

Mr. Handy Dude, very nice! do you make ever Koa sopranos? I am in the market for one (if you could ship to Costa Rica!) gracias puraviddddaa

Mr. Handy Dude, very nice! do you make ever Koa sopranos? I am in the market for one (if you could ship to Costa Rica!) gracias puraviddddaa

Chica, sorry for the delay in responding to you. I didn't see your post until now...
I do not have a good source for Koa right now. As you know it is quite expensive and I feel varies considerable in quality. I try to build with locally available woods as much as possible, as I am in the position to be involved in the milling of the trees because of my involvement with a company called Viable Lumber...

I feel there are so many excellent builders that have better access to Koa that it would be better for the buyer to source a instrument from one of them. If you are set on having me build you an instrument, I would be happy to try to source some Koa and get you a price quote.

Here is a Video of a friend of mine Playing my Ele Uke last night...

[video]http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=630493295949[/video]

Having trouble getting my videos to come up in the post...

Top Bottom