PDA

View Full Version : What's your "party piece" ?

The Big Kahuna
07-17-2012, 09:05 PM
This is prompted by something I posted in another thread, which took me back to my younger, guitar playing days, when everyone would have something impressive in their repertoire, for those occasions when it was necessary to impress a bunch of people (ok, I admit it...babes, not people).

Back then, it would probably be the tapping from Eruption by Van Halen, or something tasty by Randy Rhoads, perhaps "Dee".

So...you're at a party, someone happens to have a Uke' hanging on the wall as a decoration, by some small miracle it has a decent set of strings and is nicely set up.

What do you play to get the babe ? *

* Of course, if you're female, you can imagine Brad Pitt/Johnny Depp has just walked into the room.

kalanz808
07-17-2012, 09:08 PM
Jack Johnson's "Flake"

The Big Kahuna
07-17-2012, 09:22 PM
Feel free to post Youtube links.

Patrick Madsen
07-17-2012, 10:10 PM
Plywood Jesus written by Tim,WhenDogsSong, Enterline. I play that song continually.

CasanovaGuy
07-17-2012, 10:15 PM
Hmm, I'd like to see what other people answer, since my username is CasanovaGuy xD

Anyways, if I'm by myself, it would be Jake's version of Cyndi Lauper's Time After Time.
But if I'm with my friends (which I would prefer much, much more than playing by myself), it would be AJ Rafael's She Was Mine, Alicia Key's If I Ain't Got You, or Lateeya's Lullaby. Damn, them falsettos :O

lol what am I doing with my life, replying to this thread...

Rick Turner
07-18-2012, 03:39 AM
Duke Ellington's "The Mooche" linked to Django Reinhardt's "Tears" or Charlie Christian/Benny Goodman's "Airmail Special".

stevepetergal
07-18-2012, 04:00 AM
I'm old. It's Fly Me to the Moon.

Pukulele Pete
07-18-2012, 04:26 AM
The song I play when I want to show off is " Bye Bye Blues " . I wouldnt be able to play it if it werent for Matthew Richards exlnt tutorial on YouTube . Sometimes I can even play it without any mistakes. It is a great song for the ukulele .

spookefoote
07-18-2012, 05:27 AM
Here Comes The Sun

WhenDogsSing
07-18-2012, 09:54 AM
Plywood Jesus written by Tim,WhenDogsSong, Enterline. I play that song continually.

You gotta be kiddin'...Lord help you...!!!

mds725
07-18-2012, 10:27 AM
I haven't had to deal with this situation in real life, but if I was at a gathering and someone asked me to play my ukulele and there was a woman there I wanted to impress, I might play "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow." It's not a complicated song or anything (although I can play it with several different strums), but I imagine that a woman might be impressed that a man would wonder about stuff like that.

Kem
07-18-2012, 12:24 PM
I would mostly likely play one of my own songs, especially if it were an extremely geeky party. If not, I do have a few non-geeky songs.

ksiegel
07-18-2012, 12:47 PM
How do I get the babe? I simply turn to my wife and say, "Whenever you want to leave, darling."

I got the babe 19 years ago, and I'm as happy as I can be about it.

Of course, the last time I was at a convention party surrounded by women, I played "Different Drum" as my opening piece... and then took requests for the next 2 hours.

-Kurt

Nickie
07-18-2012, 01:21 PM
LOL, you guys kill me!

SweetWaterBlue
07-18-2012, 01:33 PM
I just freeze like a deer in the headlights. One of the great failings or relying too much on sheet music, tabs, or fake books, is we often never memorize a song well enough to perform it without that crutch.

the_katter
07-18-2012, 01:42 PM
It's nothing impressive, but I usually play Ride Wit Me by Nelly. Usually gets the people goin' haha

webby
07-18-2012, 03:55 PM
Mine changes frequently, I usually have piece i've just mastered and because it's fresh that will be the thing i proudly play.

Currently it's an old calypso song, "Great dreams from heaven".

itsme
07-18-2012, 04:05 PM
So...you're at a party, someone happens to have a Uke' hanging on the wall as a decoration, by some small miracle it has a decent set of strings and is nicely set up.
I have never found myself in that situation, and it's not a likely scenario for me.

But I would most likely play something classical, since that's what I play most anyway. :)

Hippie Dribble
07-18-2012, 04:55 PM
any cheesy ol love song out of Tin Pan Alley usually works on them 70+ yr old babes he he :)

rasputinsghost
07-18-2012, 05:08 PM
Dream a Little Dream of Me.

jackwhale
07-18-2012, 05:45 PM
I'll be seeing you.
Dream a little dream of me.
Both sound 'dreamy' on the baritone.

But I'd sure hang around to hear Ric T play those three songs.

Skrik
07-19-2012, 10:17 AM
My party piece used to be drinking too much, crying on the shoulder of the poor sap who didn't know better than to try to comfort me, then puking in the gutter on the way home.

I know better than to go to parties, these days.

OldePhart
07-19-2012, 12:53 PM
I don't think of it as a "party piece" and I'm way beyond trying to impress the "babes" (my wife of 34 years knows me too well to be impressed and, what, I need more trouble in my life by chasing t'womens??)

But, in your scenario of miraculously finding a decently set up uke hanging on someone's wall I usually go to an instrumental of "Hotel California" - either the "real" chords for it or my own arrangement that, while not "correct," actually supports the melody as well or better than the "right" chords do...

John

uke4ia
07-19-2012, 01:09 PM
Probably either a chunk out of "Ukephoria" (say, 2:55 to 4:35 in the video) or my Harry Potter opus "No One Cool Ever Came from Hufflepuff." If it was a nerdy enough crowd, maybe a bit of my Close to the Edge/Supper's Ready medley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kliIGzW6d5I

mm stan
07-19-2012, 01:49 PM
I believe it is an individual thing or preference.. I'd choose from the popular selection and one that shows your style and taste that you like....Happy Strummings..

mattydee
07-19-2012, 02:42 PM
I usually play the opening riff to Swet Child O Mine, and then once everyone is bored of the actual song, I move into the standards of the 30s: Paper Moon, Pennies From Heaven, Bye Bye Blues, etc. Crazy G is always good. I have some other mega hits of the 80s that I play as an icebreaker: Eye Of The Tiger being one. Also, of course, Stairway.

Ron
07-19-2012, 04:33 PM
We do an original "Tits Up". (for those without an New Zealand connection it's a phrase - when something goes tits up it has broken, become problematical, failed to meet expectations - "turned to custard", "chucked a sprocket", "shit itself" and "packed a sad" are similar colloquialisms in the lyrics).
tAaanywaaay....The song has a blistering solo from Terry and it's turned into our theme song and I guess our party piece.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBTpwB6CUuY&feature=plcp

~dave~~wave~
07-20-2012, 02:30 AM
One of the great failings or relying too much on sheet music, tabs, or fake books, is we often never memorize a song well enough to perform it without that crutch.

I found myself in this situation a while back.
It seemed ridiculous that I couldn't sit on the porch and play without a songbook.
I decided that wasn't the kind of player I wanted to be, and made an effort to memorize more songs.

In social situations, there's often a guitar picker around, and it's fun being able to call out the chords to a few easy tunes and play together.

My big solo number right now is Richard G's version of Girl From Ipanema.

OldePhart
07-20-2012, 07:06 AM
We do an original "Tits Up". (for those without an New Zealand connection it's a phrase ...

That's a pretty common expression on this side of the pond, too. In the military we often said, "tango uniform" :)

coolkayaker1
07-20-2012, 08:58 AM
The theme from The Jeffersons.

patico
07-20-2012, 09:36 AM
i've never found a ukulele in a party, but guitars yes.

i'd normally play something soft and easy listening, like "Romance Anonimo" or a known bolero "Besame Mucho"
people like more something easy to listen, which they can follow along.
after that, play whatever.

bonesigh
07-20-2012, 12:33 PM
What?! You went to a party WITHOUT a uke????

Ron
07-20-2012, 12:34 PM
That's a pretty common expression on this side of the pond, too. In the military we often said, "tango uniform" :)
I'm so pleased we have accros cultural understanding!

Tootler
07-20-2012, 02:22 PM
One of the great failings or relying too much on sheet music, tabs, or fake books, is we often never memorize a song well enough to perform it without that crutch.

I found myself in this situation a while back.
It seemed ridiculous that I couldn't sit on the porch and play without a songbook.

Good point. I will play from books and song sheets at home but if I'm going to "play a song out", I make the effort to learn it.

My main problem is learning the chords. I usually get the words memorised before the chords. I have most of my songs in my smart phone so I can do a quick check just before I sing.

Freeda
07-20-2012, 02:35 PM
Baby, I AM the party!

webby
07-20-2012, 11:11 PM
It's been hard to get over my addiction to the hokey cokey but I've turned myself around and that's what it's all about !

Dan Uke
07-21-2012, 04:53 AM
The key is to play something that most know unless you are at a uke party, then you play the fanciest thing

molokinirum
07-22-2012, 03:40 AM
Margaritaville!!!

The Big Kahuna
07-22-2012, 03:58 AM
Actually, I just remembered that my party piece was to fill my Zippo to the brim, shake my hand vigorously until it was covered in lighter fuel, flick the Zippo so my entire hand caught fire, light my cigarette then blow my hand out.

Now, if I can somehow combine that with the Ukulele, I might have a chance of winning next years Britain's Got Talent.

webby
07-22-2012, 11:53 AM
Actually, I just remembered that my party piece was to fill my Zippo to the brim, shake my hand vigorously until it was covered in lighter fuel, flick the Zippo so my entire hand caught fire, light my cigarette then blow my hand out.

WOW, post a vid of you doing THAT !!!! that's just the kind of insanity that we love down under.

OldePhart
07-22-2012, 01:03 PM
Back in the 80's I was in the military and a technician on a flight simulator development team. One of our guys used to fill his mouth with lighter fluid and then spew flames as far as he could blow the stuff out of his mouth. We were taking pictures of him in the hotel parking lot one night when he "dribbled" and his whole upper body was briefly on fire. Our team chief back in California (we were TDY in upstate New York) was not amused when he saw the pictures...

Alcohol was involved...

Now, if I can somehow combine that with the Ukulele, I might have a chance of winning next years Britain's Got Talent.

OldePhart
07-22-2012, 01:05 PM
Baby, I AM the party!

I've heard that about you... :)

coolkayaker1
07-24-2012, 02:25 PM
The theme from The Jeffersons.

Notice that I posted this before Sherman Hemsley croaked.

nix
07-25-2012, 04:39 AM
This is a great thread. I only have 3 songs memorized and I don't think Pearly Shells, Glory of Love or Jambalaya would impress a guy. The last time I actually tried to impress a guy at a party involving a uke, he was playing and I sang Fire. With my current level of uke skills, the only prayer I have of impressing a guy is with my voice. Must get off the boards and go practice!

Nix

seeso
07-25-2012, 04:46 AM
Great thread! Usually, I'll play one of my originals. Oddly enough, the one that seems to maximize moisture is the song I wrote about wearing women's clothes:

http://youtu.be/SuxasHevIBU
http://youtu.be/SuxasHevIBU

If I go with a cover it's usually "Waterfalls," by TLC (http://youtu.be/q34mxV-6pDo).

The Big Kahuna
07-25-2012, 05:42 AM
the one that seems to maximize moisture

Ok, on the basis that Seeso is a Super Mod, I think we know where the line is now :biglaugh:

TDedmon
07-25-2012, 07:15 AM
I like to play Come on, Eileen by Dexys Midnight Runners.

It's one that everyone knows and will get people singing.

Pueo
07-25-2012, 08:11 AM
What?! You went to a party WITHOUT a uke????
OMFG This!
I usually bring one, but don't always whip it out unless someone asks, and someone usually asks.
For show-offy purposes I have an instrumental version of "Something" that I am pretty proud of.
As for songs to sing, it depends on the crowd. I have a few Hawaiian songs that I really enjoy playing. I also love to play "Deal" by Jerry Garcia/Grateful Dead.
As far as songs to get the girl, I would play the song I wrote for my wife Nanilei. I gave it to her for her birthday a couple of years ago. She cried. I did not know the song was THAT terrible, sheesh! :biglaugh:

Pueo
07-25-2012, 08:32 AM
I've seen Seeso play "I'm a Queen" at UWC. It was awesome!

Kristoff
07-25-2012, 08:50 AM
Probably Holiday In Cambodia by The Dead Kennedy's, I use block strumming to play the melody so it can blag peoples heads how I'm playing individual notes whilst thrashing the fook out of my uke

coolkayaker1
07-25-2012, 01:47 PM
I've seen Seeso play "I'm a Queen" at UWC. It was awesome!

Did he use a lowly guitar at UWC, too? lol

seeso
07-26-2012, 05:22 AM
Did he use a lowly guitar at UWC, too? lol

You have shamed me, sir!

And, no - I didn't!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj0uw9QP9bw

coolkayaker1
07-27-2012, 04:23 AM
You have shamed me, sir!

And, no - I didn't!

That's freakin' raw, seeso. You have a "hit" song on your hands, judging from the crowd response.

Now if you can just get that unskilled poser next to you in the hat to get off the stage and give you you're space, you'd have nailed it. lol -- Steve

I like the low voice part.

kbublaird
07-27-2012, 09:16 PM
I'll usually play Avett Brothers tunes. Doesn't matter if anybody there knows them, they're still fun to play and I can actually sing the parts.

Cornfield
07-28-2012, 01:35 AM
IIf I can sing and get loud, Avocado by Pete Norman. I try to get people to spell out Avocado likr the Village People do with YMCA.

The song is already funny without adding the spelling. Lots of breaks in the song to mug and tell jokes.