Hudson HU-10C Concert Ukulele

bodhran

Reaction score
Having now had the Hudson for a couple of weeks I thought I should write a brief 'overview':

The Hudson HU-10C was bought from Cranes of Cardiff on an 'impulse'. It is a very plain looking laminate ukulele at a relatively low price point. Personally I like the way it looks (I don't like 'bling'). The finish is ok and has no major flaws.

Hudson.jpg

The spec is as follows:

Scale Length: 384mm
Nut Width: 36mm
Width: 196mm
Saddle: Solid Bone
Nut: Solid Bone
No. Of Frets: 19
Machine Heads: Geared
Strings: Aquila Nylgut

When i got it the action was a tad high for my taste so i had it set up. The chap who did the setup reported no major issues - he did a little work on the nut, made sure the frets were level ( A couple were a little high but nothing drastic) and adjusted the saddle height.

While it does not compare to expensive solid bodied ukuleles (at the price it is i would not expect it to) it is a nice sounding instrument with no major intonation issues or nasty buzzes etc. It took about two weeks for the Aquila strings to settle down and it now holds tuning very well. I played it for about 3 hours yesterday and it was still in tune this morning. The machine heads are cheap but they work well enough. The nut appears to be well fitted with no gaps. The only real yardstick I have to measure this ukulele against is my Makala Dolphin (with a setup done and Aquila strings fitted). I prefer the sound of the Hudson to that of the Dolphin and find it easier to play - i guess mostly due to it being concert size and me having large (read fat!) fingers.

In short it is a basic but very playable concert ukulele at a very reasonable price and I think is a good choice if, like me, you are a novice on a tight budget.

The gentleman in Cranes who served me was very informative, knowledgeable and polite. I was looking for a concert ukulele but had not considered a Hudson but this one just 'clicked' with me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom