Wrist Problems when strumming

MeJane

Reaction score
It doesn't seem to matter where on the Uke I strum whenever I start strumming my wrist arches and the more I strum the further my hand moves down toward the bridge. However I hold the Uke it doesn't seem comfortable, I try to play at the neck but my hand wont' stay there and my wrist aches from arching.

How do I keep my wrist straight yet loose?

It doesn't seem to matter where on the Uke I strum whenever I start strumming my wrist arches and the more I strum the further my hand moves down toward the bridge. However I hold the Uke it doesn't seem comfortable, I try to play at the neck but my hand wont' stay there and my wrist aches from arching.

How do I keep my wrist straight yet loose?

I have a couple of these lil buggers because I get tendonitis. WHO-Prefab-red.jpg

Oh, and keeping your elbow away from your body seems to help.

Last edited:
I have a couple of these lil buggers because I get tendonitis. View attachment 40348

Oh, and keeping your elbow away from your body seems to help.

I have the same problem and I sleep in one of those every night.

I'll try the tip as well Freeda!

Please DO NOT go the wrist brace route without seeing a physiotherapist (or whatever they are called where you are). I did this once, and it only made the problem much, much worse. I'm not trying to say that they don't work (because they clearly do for the above two posters), just be careful before you go and buy one.

I often have wrist pain, though mostly in my left wrist.

My physiotherapist suggested that I build strength through stretching each wrist thoroughly before playing. Then, if it flares up, ice it or take an anti-inflammatory (Advil). However, please take my suggestions with a grain of salt - i'm not doctor, these have just been my experiences.

My doctor prescribed me the wrist brace. And the insurance covered the cost of the fitting and the brace itself. They're horribly expensive otherwise, and for stuff like this, you have to have a prescription, otherwise they're really skeptical. But that's the German Health System.

I agree...have it checked out. I've heard of several people who continued to use a slightly injured wrist to the point that they ended up with a far more seriously injured one. Could have been avoided if they had known "what was wrong with it" in the first place. Could be repetitive motion injury....keyboard, cellphone, tablet, etc.

I think you did the right thing in having your wrist checked out.
Preventative care for your hands and arms are 10 times more valuable then trying to fix it after the fact.
Try to not stress the wrist, and try to do as recommended earlier.. try different positions for the elbow it might help you quite a lot.
If your wrist hurts, take a short break and try to reposition your arm for the next session.
"Playing through the pain" Never helped anyone.

Lots of useful information, thanks!
I have one of those braces from when they thought I had carpal tunnel syndrome; might have to find where I have it stashed away.
I find when I practice just a bit each day I'm fine. But last Sat I played/practiced for about 3 hours ... today is the first day my wrist wasn't tender.

Top Bottom