Anyone dabble in using a Slide for an uke?

watrr

Reaction score
I was just playing on a bench yesterday here at lajolla shores, san diego when an old dude came skating by and was stoaked. talked a bit then he came back with his guitar and a slide on his finger. we jammed for two hours, and he was teaching me blues!!! he let me try the slide on my uke and I fell in love with the sound subsequently buying three different kinds on my phone right after he left. anybody play slide on their uke that could help me with some tips?? BLUES!!!

I was just playing on a bench yesterday here at lajolla shores, san diego when an old dude came skating by and was stoaked. talked a bit then he came back with his guitar and a slide on his finger. we jammed for two hours, and he was teaching me blues!!! he let me try the slide on my uke and I fell in love with the sound subsequently buying three different kinds on my phone right after he left. anybody play slide on their uke that could help me with some tips?? BLUES!!!

Tune to an open chord such as C, G, D, E. Each will be different and you'll find the one you like the best. I use a glass Coricidin bottle for a slide, I think glass sounds the best.

I've fooled around with one a bit. It's pretty tough on nylon strings. I'm going to try again one of these days after putting some heavier strings on my coffee can resonator uke.

Of course, I've never been able to play slide worth a darn on guitar, either!

One thing about playing slide on ukuleles is that the shorter scale length of a ukulele doesn't give you as much "wiggle room" in hitting notes correctly. It does require a little more precision and control in your slide hand.

I use a dobro tone bar to slide on the eleuke.

Last edited:
yeh it's not ideal for it, just have to find the right amount of pressure to not hit the frets, i found putting tenor aquilas not concerts on it really helped.

this is kind of the stuff i wanna learn to play.

thanks for the tip whendogsing, i'll mos def try that out! i actually pulled a scrap piece from a friends bicycle handlebar and been using it to play around with on sliding

actually pulled a scrap piece from a friends bicycle handlebar and been using it to play around with on sliding

I have this mental image of the look on your friend's face as he's riding down the street when the fork drops out of the downtube and he flips end over end... :)

John

Mark Nelson is really good with slide, and has several slide songs/tabs in one of his books. Check out his site and CD's. Good stuff!!! http://mark-o.com/ Lozark

playing slide on regular uke with nylon strings just does'nt give the right tone to my ears...That's why I decide to go with a squareneck lap steel uke with acoustic guitar strings and very high action....and fretless of course....and it gives something like this....

I too, bought a glass slide. I didn't care for the way it sounded on my uke. It looks nice on my shelf, though...

Top Bottom