Figuring out Strumming Patterns = Headache

TorontoUKER

Reaction score
Hey! so ive come to realize and feel free to correct me if im wrong but the strumming pattern of a song seems to be extremly important and very hard to figure out by ear alone and even when u can see the artist playing the song it is hard to see exactly how they are strumming.

i find myself guessing the stum pattern for the songs i want to learn but i never actually think its correct, is there a method or certain things to either listen or watch for when doing this? i guess im sort of asking for a strumming pattern 101. thanks

A good strumming pattern to start out with (that covers multitudes of songs) is...

DOWN, DOWN, UP, UP, DOWN

There are literally hundreds of songs that can use that strum pattern (Drop Baby Drop, Honey Baby, Somewhere Over he Rainbow, White Sandy Beach just to name a few) - and changing the speed at which you strum also changes the sound of the song as well. Experiment and have fun!

Strumming is an integral part, but it's not set in stone. Someone can strum a certain way to a song and another person can strum a totally different way and it's still the same song. You gotta find one that fits the rhythm and tempo of the tune. Anyway, here's a list of strum patterns . . .
I've seen alot of people asking for strum pattrens...

Here is something I put together from my lessons so far. I don't think I listed any twice.

t=triplet
r=rest
c=carry (like the notes have the little curve above them)

add chunk's, pinkie mutes,turn the rests into mutes, rolls and that slow thumb stroke Aldrine does from Waiting In Vain as you see fit!!!

D DUc UDU

DU DDU DU DDU

D UD UD UD U

r U r U r U r U

r DU r DU r DU r DU

D DU r DUD DU r DU

D D DU

U D D D

D DU DU

DU r U DU

U DUDt U D

U DU DD

U DD U DD

D U DUDU D U D U

DDUD DUDD DDUD DUDD

r D r D r D r D

r DU r DU r DU r DU

r DU r D r DU r D

r DU r DU r

r U DU r U DU

D D D UDU

D D UDU

D D DUDU

now if only I could use them!!!!

Thanks sooo much Brah!!!!! thats a crazy list of strums, cant wait to put it to use. it did however breed some curiosity, hehehe.

pinki mutes, carry, rests, and triplets.

just to be clear when i was taught to strum (4,4 time,,,1&2&3&4) all the D strokes are numbers like 1234 and the U strokes are the &'s. im assuming:

Mutes are when u use the side of your palm to mute the strings after a D or U stroke

carry's are when u let the chord/note carry, so example only strumming the D strokes or U strokes

rests, im not really sure but would guess thats a longer carry? perhaps a 2 count.

Triplets and pinkie strokes i have no clue.

When I hear a strumming pattern, I think of it as a rhythm first. I think about the beats and accents without thinking about the chords and notes. How would I tap out the strumming rhythm if I were just hitting a conga, for example? Then I translate this rhythm into a strum. Usually, whatever comes naturally (as far as up, down, chunks, etc) when I'm strumming to match the rhythm in my head is what is correct for me.

A triplet is a style of strumming I'm not sure how to explain it I don't right yet, sometimes you will see on sheet music a #3 above a group of notes that means it's a triplet you play the 3 notes in the time of 2 notes I think.

The pinkie mute isn't a strum it when you use your pinkie on your fretting hand to mute the strings.

A "rest" can be played several different ways from doing nothing to including a "Chunk".

Top Bottom