Ohana ukuleles needs your advice

What headstock should Ohana offer for the New Cedar Rosewood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Uke Republic

Reaction score
Ohana's new Cedar/ Spruce model should arrive later in the year. Ohana is a little on the fence about the headstock. Should they stick with a traditional style (3 point) or keep the curvy figure 8 headstock?
Your input is greatly appreciated.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Why can't more manufacturers experiment with 4-a-side headstock designs? Especially with cutaway Ukes.

It does have a different look, which echoes the body. The rounded top does remind me of the Big Island Honu series.
Once upon a time I heard that an ukulele headstock is supposed to suggest a wave, so I suppose that this could just be a swell. I do personally prefer a bit more complexity, with the exception of the concert Kamaka, that is simple, suggests a wave, and is not a three-point design.

So I guess my opinion is that I don't love it.

I would never buy a uke with that style headstock. The way a uke looks is very important to me , I like the traditional style .
And please , only friction tuners on sopranos.

Stick with the one what brung ya'.

I love the body. Love it. But the headstock should look like an Ohana headstock, and this does not.
(You can keep the pretty stripe -- it is the shape that looks odd.)

It's a beautiful instrument, except for that amorphous headstock.

I like the prototypes, but I wish they would get some of the current models produced.
Seems like so many models are out of stock.

Here's my 2 cents for what it's worth: The headstock reminds me of the first Portugese ukuleles by Nunes, Santos and Dias, but maybe a little more simplified (see the first photo here of this awesome Nunes collection: http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/91885). This odd headstock might be more suited to the rope bound Nunes style they came out with. I think it looks VERY old fashioned. The cedar/spruce top otherwise has a very modern look to it. I'd say save the odd headstock for a different throwback ukulele like a Dias styled one (they already make a Martin style with the 38 and the new Nunes style, why not a Dias?) and go with the three pointed crown. Or put it on the rope bound one.

The curvy figure 8 looks funny to me. I haven't been playing the ukulele very long but my first impression of this is please make it go away.

Keep the figure 8 headstock. I like it. Gives it character. Makes it stand out. You could always build two versions kind of like how some builders make a regular headstock and slotted headstock. Hey you could make three versions (traditional, figure 8, slotted).

I like the figure eight - it is a little different. Variety is said to be the spice of life. It is cool to be a little different/unique. When I visit Uke Republic's site I always click the pineapple/unique ukulele link.

I absolutely love it (headstock and body), and would buy it in a nanosecond - even though another uke is absolutely the last thing I need.

Edit - yes, those who suggested Peghed or friction tuners are correct. I was so taken by the whole package that I didn't even notice it at first, but now that I have, it would drive me nuts having those little ears sticking out and spoiling the look.

Kathryn

Last edited:
Ohana's new Cedar/ Spruce model should arrive later in the year. Ohana is a little on the fence about the headstock. Should they stick with a traditional style (3 point) or keep the curvy figure 8 headstock?
Your input is greatly appreciated.
attachment.php

I LOVE!!!!!!!! This Headstock!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did I mention how much I like this headstock? All hyperbole aside, that is.

But I'd go with either PegHed or Friction tuners.

-Kurt​

Last edited:
It would be nice to see something really new that gave visual interest, whilst retaining the simplicity and utility of the traditional patterns.

I LOVE!!!!!!!! This Headstock!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did I mention how much I like this headstock? All hyperbole aside, that is.

But I'd go with either PegHed or Friction tuners.

-Kurt​

YES! My sentiments exactly right down to friction or peghed tuners.

I find the vast majority of Ukulele headstocks to be unimaginative. Whether people just feel that anything other than a traditional design is heresy, or that a headstock is just something to put the tuners and logo on, I don't know.

The headstock "finishes off" the instrument, and is as important as the design of the body and decoration in imparting a sense of "movement" to the whole. Aesthetically, I find a headstock which tapers away from the neck to be much more pleasing, and 4-a-side headstocks also give a feeling of "completeness" to a design.

100_5727.jpg

jones_iO_longhorn_hs01.jpg

I find the vast majority of Ukulele headstocks to be unimaginative. Whether people just feel that anything other than a traditional design is heresy, or that a headstock is just something to put the tuners and logo on, I don't know.

The headstock "finishes off" the instrument, and is as important as the design of the body and decoration in imparting a sense of "movement" to the whole. Aesthetically, I find a headstock which tapers away from the neck to be much more pleasing, and 4-a-side headstocks also give a feeling of "completeness" to a design.

100_5727.jpg

jones_iO_longhorn_hs01.jpg
Ooh, those are yummy.

I like "different", but I don't really care for the figure 8 shown. It doesn't have a lot of panache.

Top Bottom