PDA

View Full Version : Ohana ukuleles needs your advice

Uke Republic
07-19-2012, 08:27 AM
Ohana's new Cedar/ Spruce model should arrive later in the year. Ohana is a little on the fence about the headstock. Should they stick with a traditional style (3 point) or keep the curvy figure 8 headstock?
Your input is greatly appreciated.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=40479&d=1342721779
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=40481&d=1342721779
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=40480&d=1342721779

The Big Kahuna
07-19-2012, 08:36 AM
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=40479&d=1342721779

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/zig-and-zag-590x350.jpg

I think I've made my point. I'll be off now...

The Big Kahuna
07-19-2012, 08:38 AM
Why can't more manufacturers experiment with 4-a-side headstock designs? Especially with cutaway Ukes.

Pueo
07-19-2012, 08:40 AM
It does have a different look, which echoes the body. The rounded top does remind me of the Big Island Honu series.
Once upon a time I heard that an ukulele headstock is supposed to suggest a wave, so I suppose that this could just be a swell. I do personally prefer a bit more complexity, with the exception of the concert Kamaka, that is simple, suggests a wave, and is not a three-point design.

So I guess my opinion is that I don't love it.

bazmaz
07-19-2012, 08:49 AM
Love the body. DON'T love the headstock. Sorry Ohana!

Pukulele Pete
07-19-2012, 08:51 AM
I would never buy a uke with that style headstock. The way a uke looks is very important to me , I like the traditional style .
And please , only friction tuners on sopranos.

luluwrites
07-19-2012, 08:53 AM
Stick with the one what brung ya'.

I love the body. Love it. But the headstock should look like an Ohana headstock, and this does not.
(You can keep the pretty stripe -- it is the shape that looks odd.)

Steedy
07-19-2012, 08:55 AM
It's a beautiful instrument, except for that amorphous headstock.

SailingUke
07-19-2012, 09:03 AM
I like the prototypes, but I wish they would get some of the current models produced.
Seems like so many models are out of stock.

ChrisRCovington
07-19-2012, 09:06 AM
Here's my 2 cents for what it's worth: The headstock reminds me of the first Portugese ukuleles by Nunes, Santos and Dias, but maybe a little more simplified (see the first photo here of this awesome Nunes collection: http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/91885). This odd headstock might be more suited to the rope bound Nunes style they came out with. I think it looks VERY old fashioned. The cedar/spruce top otherwise has a very modern look to it. I'd say save the odd headstock for a different throwback ukulele like a Dias styled one (they already make a Martin style with the 38 and the new Nunes style, why not a Dias?) and go with the three pointed crown. Or put it on the rope bound one.

flyingv8
07-19-2012, 09:12 AM
The curvy figure 8 looks funny to me. I haven't been playing the ukulele very long but my first impression of this is please make it go away.

uke42
07-19-2012, 09:36 AM
Keep the figure 8 headstock. I like it. Gives it character. Makes it stand out. You could always build two versions kind of like how some builders make a regular headstock and slotted headstock. Hey you could make three versions (traditional, figure 8, slotted).

Caught2
07-19-2012, 09:50 AM
I like the figure eight - it is a little different. Variety is said to be the spice of life. It is cool to be a little different/unique. When I visit Uke Republic's site I always click the pineapple/unique ukulele link.

kvehe
07-19-2012, 09:57 AM
I absolutely love it (headstock and body), and would buy it in a nanosecond - even though another uke is absolutely the last thing I need.

Edit - yes, those who suggested Peghed or friction tuners are correct. I was so taken by the whole package that I didn't even notice it at first, but now that I have, it would drive me nuts having those little ears sticking out and spoiling the look.

Kathryn

ksiegel
07-19-2012, 10:04 AM
Ohana's new Cedar/ Spruce model should arrive later in the year. Ohana is a little on the fence about the headstock. Should they stick with a traditional style (3 point) or keep the curvy figure 8 headstock?

I LOVE!!!!!!!! This Headstock!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did I mention how much I like this headstock? All hyperbole aside, that is.

But I'd go with either PegHed or Friction tuners.

-Kurt

Skrik
07-19-2012, 10:05 AM
It would be nice to see something really new that gave visual interest, whilst retaining the simplicity and utility of the traditional patterns.

Gmoney
07-19-2012, 10:23 AM
I LOVE!!!!!!!! This Headstock!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did I mention how much I like this headstock? All hyperbole aside, that is.

But I'd go with either PegHed or Friction tuners.

-Kurt

YES! My sentiments exactly right down to friction or peghed tuners.

The Big Kahuna
07-19-2012, 10:34 AM
I find the vast majority of Ukulele headstocks to be unimaginative. Whether people just feel that anything other than a traditional design is heresy, or that a headstock is just something to put the tuners and logo on, I don't know.

The headstock "finishes off" the instrument, and is as important as the design of the body and decoration in imparting a sense of "movement" to the whole. Aesthetically, I find a headstock which tapers away from the neck to be much more pleasing, and 4-a-side headstocks also give a feeling of "completeness" to a design.

http://www.mcnaughtguitars.com/100_5727.jpg
http://divine-jones.com/jones_iO_longhorn_hs01.jpg

phil_doleman
07-19-2012, 10:37 AM
I like the shape- I have two ukes with a similar shape, one a recent handmade soprano, and the other a 1930s Slingerland banjo uke. I do agree that maybe friction tuners would work better with it though.

Freeda
07-19-2012, 10:39 AM
I find the vast majority of Ukulele headstocks to be unimaginative. Whether people just feel that anything other than a traditional design is heresy, or that a headstock is just something to put the tuners and logo on, I don't know.

The headstock "finishes off" the instrument, and is as important as the design of the body and decoration in imparting a sense of "movement" to the whole. Aesthetically, I find a headstock which tapers away from the neck to be much more pleasing, and 4-a-side headstocks also give a feeling of "completeness" to a design.

http://www.mcnaughtguitars.com/100_5727.jpg
http://divine-jones.com/jones_iO_longhorn_hs01.jpg
Ooh, those are yummy.

I like "different", but I don't really care for the figure 8 shown. It doesn't have a lot of panache.

philrab66
07-19-2012, 10:42 AM
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=40481&d=1342721779
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=40480&d=1342721779

I think it looks like a child has designed it and made it (headstock) I really do not like it and would not buy one.

beautifulsoup
07-19-2012, 11:24 AM
What looks weird to me is the combination of the "Figure 8" with geared tuners. Noob questions: Is this a tenor ukulele? Can a tenor have friction tuners?

So: Figure 8 with friction tuners, or 3-point with geared or friction tuners.

That's my nUUb 2 cents.

PhilUSAFRet
07-19-2012, 11:24 AM
I think a slotted headstock might look killer on this uke

beautifulsoup
07-19-2012, 11:25 AM

Yes! :drool:

Garydavkra
07-19-2012, 11:57 AM
Visually, it looks too heavy and like someone else said, it looks old fashion. I think the head stock you use now looks okay but, it would look better if it were shorter and maybe a little wider, in my opinion.

lozarkman
07-19-2012, 12:28 PM
At first I didn't like it at all, but the more I look at it the more I like it. However, what really turns me off is the color. It just doesn't seem to go with the body. Too much contrast? The shape is ok, but like said, reminiscent of old fashioned, but lighten it up and more in line with body color, might be a winner. Lozark

OldePhart
07-19-2012, 12:44 PM
I think the figure 8 headstock (you could also call it the "woman" headstock) is fairly attractive but I wouldn't buy a uke because of it. It's potentially a little lighter without losing strength...though they turn around and screw that up by putting those stinking geared tuners on it. In fact, that might be why so many people are saying they don't like the shape - it just makes those tuner "ears" that much more prominent. I think that headstock shape in particular should really only have friction tuners on it.

Of course, I'm not likely to be in the market for one anyway so the point is probably moot. :)

John

mo9090x
07-19-2012, 01:14 PM
The short answer from me is don't keep it exactly as is. I like that it is a different shape from traditional (or current Ohana) but I wouldn't want it to be too thick or too heavy looking. I agree that maybe friction or better yet, Peghed tuners might be better on that style. In the photo at an angle the headstock looks much thicker than the uke next to it, that would be displeasing to me if that were the case. I'm all for non-traditional, however. I think traditional can be found when wanted... it's nice to have other options. Thanks for the chance to give input!

beautifulsoup
07-19-2012, 01:27 PM
I also wonder how the Ohana "logo" would look on the figure 8 headstock...

rem50
07-19-2012, 01:30 PM
I think you should keep it. For example, when I first saw a mya moe headstock I did not like the design at all but after all I have seen and heard I would not one without one. It is a signature. Stick to what you want and let the sound speak for itself.

mm stan
07-19-2012, 01:41 PM
I would keep it on for 6 months then decide how well it is received...It has the traditional old vintage style hawaiian design and of the old mainland banjo ukuleles..rolando, swingerland etc.
For me the protype headstock was too dark in the middle, maybe if you lighten it to the body back and sides to make a connection...intresting the contrasting lighter color wood on the wings of
the headstock...yes always keep pushing the envelope forward in research and design till you find creative ones that grabs us .....thank you for sharing and your constant desire to move forward
in designs and a for better product and asking for our input....

greyghost
07-19-2012, 02:17 PM
That is one of the nicest-looking instruments I've ever seen, except for the headstock. Replace that ugly thing with something more traditional, and I've found my next upgrade!

greyghost
07-19-2012, 02:19 PM

A thousand times yes!

Mason671
07-19-2012, 04:01 PM
I agree with Phil on this one. I prefer slotted headstocks on my 'ukulele and guitars (Kala ASAC-T & Lakewood A-32 CP). Although the slotted headstock should only be on the Tenors and Baritones as it may be too heavy on a soprano or a concert IMHO.

Lori
07-19-2012, 06:45 PM
I am not a big fan of the round topped Headstocks (Honu). I think the stripe design could be finessed a bit more. The dark stripe seems too wide, making the side stripes feel too thin. It is a matter of proportions. I like the idea of carrying the 3 piece design up into the headstock, but it would work well on a 3 point HS as well. Right now the dark center stripe feels a bit random, but if it was the same width and color as the fingerboard, it might make more sense. It is hard to know without seeing it first.
–Lori

Fermin
07-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Isn't it funny how some of the people that don't like it say you should use a more traditional headstock, and the ones that like it say it looks traditional?

I think you should keep it, and make a three pointed body to go with it! In the spirit of this bass guitar:

Jokes aside, I like it as it is, although I'm curious about what it would look like in a lighter colour, like if the stripe went all the way from the body.

Ukeval
07-19-2012, 09:09 PM
This form of head had already be done by uke makers, and beautifully, but with friction pegs (even real wooden peg... like on older instruments). Look for the Stradelele by Joel Eckhaus of Earnest Ukes...
beautiful one used by the late John King...
But with geared tuners NO !!!

ukuloonie
07-19-2012, 09:15 PM
like the shape of the head stock not too keen on the bi colour
Friction tuners would look great too.

Skrik
07-19-2012, 09:51 PM
It would be nice to see something really new that gave visual interest, whilst retaining the simplicity and utility of the traditional patterns.

People have mentioned the Honu range by Big Island.

I find the shape interesting -- it fits the name of the ukulele (turtle), and is refreshingly different from the usual Martin or banjo copies.

Ehm... friction tuners, though, please.

Hippie Dribble
07-19-2012, 09:56 PM
um....did anyone mention the uke should have friction tuners yet? :p

Quite seriously, the only reason I've never bought an Ohana is for the simple fact that I've never found one that comes set up with friction tuners...were there some Ohana models sans geared tuners I daresay I would already own more than one by now...

Plainsong
07-19-2012, 11:40 PM
Why can't more manufacturers experiment with 4-a-side headstock designs? Especially with cutaway Ukes.

Yes yes yes 1 million times yes. Certainly a Fender style headstock can be done that doesn't approach infringement on Fender. More brands and builders need to be offering this.

The Big Kahuna
07-20-2012, 12:24 AM
Yes yes yes 1 million times yes. Certainly a Fender style headstock can be done that doesn't approach infringement on Fender. More brands and builders need to be offering this.

The headstock on my Nohea is just one of the many things I love about it. Glad they went with a Tele' head and not a Strat' one though. There's just something about this style headstock that "works" on a small instrument such as a Uke'. Be interesting to see one with friction style tuners (I assume they're the ones that don't show from the front).

Pukulele Pete
07-20-2012, 01:50 AM
The first thing I did when I got my Ohana SK-20S was rip off those geared tuners and put on friction tuners.

Skitzic
07-20-2012, 02:36 AM
I'd like to see the figure 8 shape stay. I also like the stripe. I think it is a thoughtful touch on an unusual looking uke.

stevepetergal
07-20-2012, 04:49 AM
I like both, but if I was looking for a new instrument, I'd undoubtedly prefer the new headstock.

Garydavkra
07-20-2012, 05:07 AM
I think the headstock should be the natural wood color also. It's the darkest color on the uke and makes it look top heavy. I just figured out why I don't like the shape of the headstock. It looks like Homer Simpson's head!

ukekobold
07-20-2012, 06:02 AM
I definitely do not like it, but I am not as informed as the experts above. I would find the eight shape quite nice if it wasn't made of "white curves" and a "brown center beam". Seems like they did not manage to have it one piece. I know it's not true, but that's what I feel : so cheap compared to the body. Ohana could and should do much better.

NatalieS
07-20-2012, 06:29 AM
I love the rest of the uke but absolutely hate the figure-8 headstock. Sorry to be brutally honest!

OldePhart
07-20-2012, 07:01 AM

Probably because in-line tuners on such a small instrument mean you either have very little room for fingers or a headstock that is large in relation to the body and possibly unbalanced unless the body is quite heavy - and heavy bodies are never a good thing (says the fat guy with a wink).

I find that there is barely adequate room with 2 X 2 tuners on some sopranos when one of the buttons winds up "pointing at" an adjacent tuner.

Ethan
07-20-2012, 07:10 AM
I am a bit ambivalent on the shape but do not like the coloring of the headstock. I stink at graphic design but I think I would try one color, either of the ones in the body. I also found what ChrisCovington posted very compelling- maybe a good idea but for another uke.

hammer40
07-20-2012, 07:30 AM
I like it the shape, I say keep it.

Skitzic
07-20-2012, 08:48 AM
If the head stock is changed for the production models I call dibs on the prototype.

Someone write that down.

scothut
07-20-2012, 09:37 AM
I'm liking the 3 point better.

v30
07-20-2012, 09:38 AM
I vote for traditional 3 point, but keep the same color scheme as the body. What's on there now is too dark.
....and I agree with the person who said to put that figure 8 style on the vintage looking (kumalae or nunes repro) one.

Nickie
07-20-2012, 05:34 PM
Well, I don't know very much about ukuleles yet, but I'm learning. I do know what I like, though, and I love the way this uke looks... yes. with he figure 8 headstock.

Garydavkra
07-21-2012, 06:58 AM
The headstock on my Nohea is just one of the many things I love about it. Glad they went with a Tele' head and not a Strat' one though. There's just something about this style headstock that "works" on a small instrument such as a Uke'. Be interesting to see one with friction style tuners (I assume they're the ones that don't show from the front).

I also have the Fender Nohea but, I stayed away from it because, I didn't like the headstock. My brother said that it's suppose to resemble the headstock of an upright bass. I'm assuming as viewed from the side. The owner of my favorite music shop just told me to stick a sock over it and we both laughed.;) I have the tenor and I do like the sound though. It's funny how we all like something different for different reasons.

The Big Kahuna
07-21-2012, 07:32 AM
The Nohea has the Fender Telecaster headstock.

Geno
07-21-2012, 10:08 AM
The traditional 3 point gets my vote. The other one makes me think of a banjo (nothing against banjos, I like 'em).

hibiscus
07-21-2012, 10:32 AM
I'm getting used to the prototype and like it. So count another vote toward it, since I already voted the other way. It looks a little large to me, but I like the curvy idea very much!

G Hill
07-21-2012, 11:49 AM
Stick with the standard headstock shape. The rest of the uke is real pretty
cheers
Gary

zac987
07-21-2012, 11:15 PM
I prefer the 3-point over this. Though it would be interesting to see a more banjo-styled headstock. I always thought they looked pretty.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0K70sLCgQbE/TD8ofnAeiXI/AAAAAAAAHF4/3b-tei9EHQc/s1600/stewart0002.jpg

singh44s
07-22-2012, 12:11 PM
I like the figure-8 shape, but am completely against the proportions of the prototype's striping.

Either remove the stripe completely, or just look at how the rest of the stringed-instrument world shows off their compound necks with a narrow mid-stripe (plain or contrast highlighted).

vanflynn
07-22-2012, 04:12 PM
Hey Mike. I knee jerked and did thumbs down because it looks like a banjo. I would love a nice full Monty front shot of the Uke. Haven't seen a good far shot to make a final decision.

bpedaci
07-23-2012, 09:51 AM
I think the headstock looks oversized compared to the body. Based on the stylish body and after hearing a bit of a sound demo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_U0IUMQVyY&t=57), I'm very intrigued. The headstock design wouldn't put me off buying it, but it doesn't feel like a unified design. I wonder if it would work to have the headstock echo the back of the uke, with the trapezoid of spruce in the middle and the darker wood on the outside.