Living Water Strings on KoAloha?

hibiscus

Reaction score
Have you tried these new strings on your KoAloha? I'm thinking about putting them on my new Concert. I love the sound of it now, but the strings feel a little too stiff for me, and I'm wondering if the Living Water strings feel any different to you? And of course any comments on the sound would be welcome.
Also planning on exchanging the Worth Clears on my Mainland Mango. It is really a big job for me (arthritis), so I am curious as to your impressions.
Thank you,
hibiscus

I just put some on a Koaloha concert and while the t2s will always have a special place in my heart, the C string doesn't fit in the hole in the (older standard) bridge, so it's unsightly. Not saying I won't put t2s on again though. I think the Living Water strings are very fluorocarbon, but don't suffer from a "C string and friends" syndrome, and are instead very balanced. I don't find them at all hard on the fingers. They're nice, balanced, worth a try!

I just got some Living Water strings today but they went on my Kanilea. They sound very clear and have a nice feel and good volume. I have not tried them on my KoAloha, as I am quite happy with my PhD strings on that uke. Both of those brands are quite good and worth a try.

Have a concert set on a Koaloha long neck soprano. Really nice. As said before, very balanced across set. And tone-wise a good balance between warm and bright.

My son just put a set on his Eleulke (Bushman Jenny solid mahogany) and he loves them.) Talk to Southcoast Ukes about strings and describe the feel you are looking for. I have some soft lights on my Koa Mele Tenor and they are nearly too soft, especially the e strong (I believe they put a harder string on that set now). Lovely tone....surprised me Soft? Lights? But the Hawaiian guys in my meetup group like them too.

I've tried southcoast medium and medium softs on the Koaloha, and didn't have much luck at all, but YMMV. They're all worth trying, but for fluros, I'm happy to give Ken the business. :)

Thank you for your comments. I hope my strings arrive today! I'll probably try them on my Ohana Soprano first. My Mango sounds just wonderful with the Worth Clears. We are lucky to have so many choices! And I appreciate your not bashing one set of strings to promote another~that's not what I'm after:)

I just wanted to resurrect this thread to note that I just put a set of Living Water strings (low g tenor) on my KoAloha. So far, I am quite pleased. They retain the clarity and volume of the PhD set I previously had on it, but they are a bit smoother and more well rounded sounding. They are not quite as bright as the PhD set, but that typical KoAloha brightness in tone still shines through.

It looks as though I may need to order even more sets as they might be used on the KoAloha as well as my Kanilea now.

Resurrecting an old thread again..
I usually love Living water strings, and have got (or tried) them on all my ukes: but too me, they didn't work 'that well' on my Koaloha Soprano.
Surprisingly I found them a little dull compared to Worth clear.
I soon changed back.

I guess it is becoming evident to me that strings 'work' differently on different ukes.
You just need to change and try them all to find what YOU like most?

Living Water on Pono MCD anyone???

Yeah, I ended up putting the PhD back on after all that. I love Living Water to death on the Kanilea, the only strings for that uke for me. But for KoAloha, I still like PhD and Worth.

I have worth browns on my Koaloha concert, but I have a spare set of PHD laying around. Although I've been reasonably satisfied with the worths, I think I will try the PHDs on WickedWahines suggestion.

I still have living waters on my kamaka soprano. I think they sound really good they are sized properly for the nut slots (no buzz). They make that instrument sound like what I think it should sound like. I guess I am still looking for that type of fit with my concert.

Put the PHD strings on and let them settle in. It's a big improvement. I really like the way they ring and keep on ringing. Nice sound, not too pingy. They have a good balance from string to string. All in all, I think they sound really good on the Koaloha.

Putting Living Water strings on a Koaloha is like putting dandruff shampoo on a Yeti.

As a huge fan of Living water stings I have them on my mainland soprano, mainland concert and big Island tenor and I think they are fantastic,
but on my KTM-OO and KoAloha six string I will stick with worth clears I just think there best suited, to my ears anyway.
Steve.

Has anyone tried Fremont Blacklines on a KoAloha tenor (low G)? ck1, I think I remember you writing that you have Fremonts on all your ukes.

If you want that chime on a re-entrant on your KoAloha, try a set of Oasis strings. I had Ph.D and Living Waters on it over the past year and recently put Oasis on and they have a very distinct sound compared to the Ph.D and Living waters which I do like and use on my other ukes as well. This thin body KoAloha I have really sings with the Oasis re-entrant set. Great note separation and clarity. Seems there are a lot of good strings now on the market. I have found what works the best for my ear and am sticking with the set that achieves the sound I am looking for. I am definitely sticking with the Fremont Soloist for the low G. Still have not found anything that is as silent as that string without the booming nature of that low G.

I appreciate the foregoing thoughts on what strings might or might not work -- interesting comments. I just acquired a KoAloha KTM-00, and while I am initially happy with the Worth Clears that HMS strung the instrument with, I do know that over time I’ll want to change string brands to see if something sounds better and fresh. It's always fun to hunt and try new things (although not always inexpensive) and strings are a great way to do that without spending hundreds of $$$.

Last edited:
i rock worth browns...low g on my ktm-00...I have LWs waiting in the wings...but am too pake to switch until i need to.

Has anyone tried Fremont Blacklines on a KoAloha tenor (low G)? ck1, I think I remember you writing that you have Fremonts on all your ukes.
DaveY, you have a memory!

Yes, I did put Fremont Blacklines (*cannot recall if hard or medium)on my Koaloha tenor, but they were, alas, high G. So, I cannot speak to Koaloha's intended low G with Fremonts.

I will say that I like the Fremonts on the Koaloha because it just barely took the edge off the brashness. The tenors, as we all know, from KoALoha have much less harshness of sound compared to the smaller KoAlohas right from the get-go--but, if one finds the tenor a tad brusk, the FBL stepped it down a notch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom