Contemplating an 8 string

mrhandy

Reaction score
Hi all. I am currently working on my first solid body electric tenor, and i have been thinking about building an 8 string next.
I am interested to hear peoples opinion on string spacing in an 8 string uke.
My standard spacing that I am happy with is 3/8" at the nut and 5/8" at the saddle... this yields a 1-1/2" wide fingerboard at the nut with 3/16" space between the edge of the fingerboard and the string. i'm also building with radiused fingerboards with 12" radius.

I've been sitting here drawing nut spacings for the strings and I seem to be falling somewhere in the range of 3/32" between pairs, and 5/16" spacing. This would give an overall string spread of 1-3/8" and at a nut width of either 1-5/8" or 1-3/4"
that would also yield a 2-1/8" string spread at the saddle with the same taper as my standard spacing. ...

Sorry to all the non Americans here, I think in imperial measure not metric... feel free to respond in metric I can keep up and convert as needed. I am wondering what others have done ore experienced... I have no experience with an 8 string, I have never even seen one.

Last edited:
Here is a link to a .pdf document that gives mandolin spacings. I don't know if this will help you or not.

I have only done eight string mandolins, so I can't say what it would be on a uke. I'd suggest searching for actual string spacings on an eight string uke or find string spacing for a twelve string guitar and use it as a comparison.

Sorry to all the non Americans here, I think in imperial measure not metric...

Don't apologise, we invented imperial. We know what you mean :)

Last edited:
Hi all. I am currently working on my first solid body electric tenor, and i have been thinking about building an 8 string next.
I am interested to hear peoples opinion on string spacing in an 8 string uke.
My standard spacing that I am happy with is 3/8" at the nut and 5/8" at the saddle... this yields a 1-1/2" wide fingerboard at the nut with 3/16" space between the edge of the fingerboard and the string. i'm also building with radiused fingerboards with 12" radius.

I've been sitting here drawing nut spacings for the strings and I seem to be falling somewhere in the range of 3/32" between pairs, and 5/16" spacing. This would give an overall string spread of 1-3/8" and at a nut width of either 1-5/8" or 1-3/4"
that would also yield a 2-1/8" string spread at the saddle with the same taper as my standard spacing. ...

Sorry to all the non Americans here, I think in imperial measure not metric... feel free to respond in metric I can keep up and convert as needed. I am wondering what others have done ore experienced... I have no experience with an 8 string, I have never even seen one.

Hi Andrew,
For what its worth, my 8 string tenor has the following spacings:
Nut is 1-1/2 inches with 5/16" between the pairs and 1/8" between strings. At the saddle 2 inches wide with 1/2" between pairs.
Hope this helps
Tom

I see you have a few ukes for sale...How many have you made so far?

im working on mt 23rd uke now...

thanks all, sounds like im within reason with my measurements... rick, i would be doing, but my finger got in a fight with my jointer the other day so i am out of the shop for at least a few days... luckly didnt git to the bone, and my finger should heal on its own.

Jointers are the single most dangerous power tool in any woodworking shop. I know more people who have lost fingertips to jointers than any other machine or tool. Table saws come in second.

My sympathies.

You cannot get away with spacing as narrow as with mandolins; the strings move farther in their vibration arc, and nylon strings just need more spacing in general, it seems, because they move around more under fingertips unless you have exquisite technique. Note how wide classical guitar fingerboards are...in the Spanish style, they're 2 1/16" or even 2 1/8" wide at the nut as opposed to 1 11/16" to 1 3/4" being pretty normal for steel strings.

Thanks Rick, yup I feel pretty silly about it, I think I went to flick some dust off the board I was working on between passe and the guard must not have swung back, and I got careless, it could have been a lot worse and lucky I only got the one digit... more then 15 years of woodworking and this was my first injury of any consequence...

I think I have instantly formed a new habit of blowing away the dust rather then brushing it away...

When I get back into the shop I will be working on the 8 string and a few more ukes, and finishing up the night stands I just started for the wife, and hopefully a few commissions, and maybe my first electric guitar with a young man that wants to build his own... I said I would be happy to help him with any relavent knowledge I have... I also have a work bench to build for a friend, 6' shaker style out of oak and rosewood... should be beautiful. Gosh I hope this finger gets better quick, I got lots to do.

Speaking as someone who could cut their own leg off with a Toffee Hammer, please show me a "Jointer", so I know what to avoid.

Speaking as someone who could cut their own leg off with a Toffee Hammer, please show me a "Jointer", so I know what to avoid.

In the UK it would more commonly be known as an 'overhand' planer. It's basically a power planer with a nice big shiny flat piece at the beginning, a nice big shiny flat piece at the end, and a nasty, high speed, multi cutter block spinning around in between them!
And Rick, in my experience circular saw table win easily, unless you are just counting finger tips. The saws more often get whole fingers or thumbs!

You cannot get away with spacing as narrow as with mandolins; the strings move farther in their vibration arc, and nylon strings just need more spacing in general, it seems, because they move around more under fingertips unless you have exquisite technique. Note how wide classical guitar fingerboards are...in the Spanish style, they're 2 1/16" or even 2 1/8" wide at the nut as opposed to 1 11/16" to 1 3/4" being pretty normal for steel strings.

Maybe I misunderstood but are you making a solid body electric eight string? I was thinking steel strings when I posted the mandolin link. Just for string spacing among pairs and not across the board.

Top Bottom