Small hands and a baritone

Ben_H

Reaction score
Finally got to play a baritone yesterday to see how I like it. The answer is yes, a lot and I want one baaaaad, but I have quite small hands and i found it hard to stretch for some of the chords I was playing. I was playing as if on a soprano so not sure how often in real life I would play a baritone G sharp chord or similar stretch with the pinkie.

I know with practice my reach will improve but am I limiting myself on this instrument or does (hand) size not matter?

Cheers

I have stubby fingers and in time it got better....wish I had longer guitar fingers though...ha ha

Finally got to play a baritone yesterday to see how I like it. The answer is yes, a lot and I want one baaaaad, but I have quite small hands and i found it hard to stretch for some of the chords I was playing. I was playing as if on a soprano so not sure how often in real life I would play a baritone G sharp chord or similar stretch with the pinkie.

I know with practice my reach will improve but am I limiting myself on this instrument or does (hand) size not matter?

Cheers

Hi Ben,
Your hands can't be any smaller than these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIcs1zqWeLg

You'll be OK

Cheers
Tom

Well it is much smaller than a guitar after-all. It would just take some getting used to that's all.

Hi Ben,
Your hands can't be any smaller than these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIcs1zqWeLg

You'll be OK

Cheers
Tom

Wow, those are small hands! I use to think the same when playing guitar until I saw a video of a man without arms playing guitar. He played it with his feet better than I can play with my hands. I considered myself lucky after that. Apparently, it's a matter of adapting.

I'm looking at getting a baritone also. I just love the sound and a four string instrument just makes more sense to me.

I was just getting ready to post: "every time this subject comes up, someone posts a link of that little girl playing a jumbo guitar." LOL Great minds think alike

How often does this question come up? I did a search for baritone, small and hands but nowt showed.

I'll work on the exercises when I get a bari. Hoping to order it on Monday now that I've made some decisions. (Thanks to all who have helped.)

Top Bottom