PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose please?

ColeJackson
07-20-2012, 10:32 PM
Hey guys, I've decided I wanted a tenor and I need help choosing.
It's down to either http://www.amazon.com/Kalos-Cecilio-UKP-38TN-Mahogany-Ukulele/dp/B0051BFKXA/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1342859303&sr=8-22&keywords=tenor+ukulele

or

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001731R6A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A3C1OYEM4FMOSU
The thing is, I really love the look of the spruce more then the mahogany, and the Cecilio has better looking tuners and prettier finish and all of that. But It only has one review and I can't find much about it. So which one would you guys get? Thanks!

The Village Woodworker
07-20-2012, 10:59 PM
Without hearing them it is difficult of course. But going on the specs and price/value for money, the spruce and mahogany wins hands down for me. I would guess that for the price the mahogany will be laminated, but so what - there are some great sounding ukes out there that use laminated wood. LOML plays a spruce/mahogany laminate Lanikai that sounds awesome.
Cheers
Tom

ColeJackson
07-20-2012, 11:04 PM
Thanks! I'm also wondering which one is longer, if anyone knows?

Raygf
07-21-2012, 12:19 AM
Welcome! The Makala Tenor would be my choice and I'd but it here (http://www.theukulelesite.com/makala-mk-t-a-beginners-tenor-ukulele.html). For $30 more you can add a gig bag, tuner and chord book. Cecilio is known for making inexpensive band and orchestra instruments and Kala for making ukuleles.

Here is a discussion thread (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?26653-Kalos-by-Cecilio-Ukuleles&highlight=cecilio) about the Kalos from 2010 and the Makala gets mentioned. Good luck with your decision.

PhilUSAFRet
07-21-2012, 01:31 AM
If you are a "handy" guy with some mechanical and craft skills, even a little, you can upgrade these inexpensive ukes as you are able with bone nuts, relatively inexpensive tuners from Grover, and new nuts and saddles. If you learn to do a little "set up" work, some of them will sound great " for the money." Of course the concensus here is usually, save up for a better uke, but it's your $ and as long as you end up with a very "playable" uke and have a ball doing it........!!!!!!!
Good luck. That Makala doesn't get good reviws for nothing. Also look at some of the cheaper Makai's like TK-55. Some of the best "low buck" ukes out there.
Bone nut and saddle. Very thin laminate....very big sound.

http://www.newenglandmusicstore.com/product/TK-55

Listen to this baby sing....and with the crappy strings!!!! Just think how great it would sond with Aquilas or other good string.

http://www.theukulelesite.com/makai-tenor-tk-55-w-package-options.html

GKK
07-21-2012, 04:52 AM
I'd get the Kala because it's quality is better known and after a set up, will play nice.

A lot of cheaper brand Ukulele's have issue's with Sharp Fret ends, String spacing, Uneven Bridge placement and Finishing problems.

Both uke's will require a Set Up to be playable which is why it might be more cost effective and more enjoyable in the long run to buy from a reputable site that includes the set up.

kenikas
07-21-2012, 05:55 AM
Definately the Makala, I've bought a couple of them for friends and relatives. Good ukes for the price. The Kalos is a laminate top, so mostly the spruce is just for looks. I'd also second the recommendation for Makai ukes, their solid spruce top line isn't much more than the ones you're looking at, and they are a notch up in sound as well as very nice playing ukes.

Yestyn The Great
07-21-2012, 06:21 AM
Go for the Kala. I've never heard of that other company which is a bad sign.

cantcook1
07-21-2012, 10:34 AM
I have a Kala Makala Tenor, spot on i think, i was advised to use Aquila strings, have done and it now exeeds all my expectations.

patfia
07-21-2012, 10:35 AM
Wouldn't trade my Makai TK-55 for a Kala unless the trade also included a Pono, K-brand, or custom. Nothing against the Kala, just like the Makai. I looked at Kala's in similar price range and the Makai was better. They aren't that common so they've dropped off the radar. It appears that HMS doesn't carry them any longer but they also don't seem to carry a lot of the lower end Kala's that they had last year either. Uke Republic carries Makai and Mim used to, may still. It is a low end, factory made instrument so either learn how to make the proper adjustments or have a reliable party set it up.

PhilUSAFRet
07-21-2012, 11:48 AM
:agree:
Wouldn't trade my Makai TK-55 for a Kala unless the trade also included a Pono, K-brand, or custom. Nothing against the Kala, just like the Makai. I looked at Kala's in similar price range and the Makai was better. They aren't that common so they've dropped off the radar. It appears that HMS doesn't carry them any longer but they also don't seem to carry a lot of the lower end Kala's that they had last year either. Uke Republic carries Makai and Mim used to, may still. It is a low end, factory made instrument so either learn how to make the proper adjustments or have a reliable party set it up.

:agree: Another vote for the Makai...nicer than the Makala in every way.

AndrewKuker
07-22-2012, 12:41 AM
We still have the TK-55 usually in store but not online because the started putting big plastic buttons for the tuners instead of the chrome and because the cosmetic blems are consistent. Tone wise, they are great for the price. Even better is the solid spruce top tenor we have from right now. It's cheap and sounds good. I tried to get Sue to make a model for us to our specs but she would rather blow my mind and not care. Maybe we will see them come back to the site soon. Hopefully. Until then, it's one of many models we don't list but still usually have in store.

mm stan
07-22-2012, 01:31 AM
I'd too suggest you buy from a reputable dealer who does setups..in the long run, it is cheaper and better...You get what you pay for..
Let me tell you, I'd get a good sounding uke anytime before a pretty uke.... if it doesn't sound good, You won't play it and that is a waste..
It will be pretty though...pretty sad too.... Good Luck..