taylor swift...sigh

austin1

Reaction score
I'm not sure if i'm allowed to post this here, because the uke isn't the primary instrument. But I wanted to share this video I made as a birthday for my sister. She's a huge, HUGE Taylor Swift fan (which I am most definitely not). For her last birthday I sent her to a t. swizzle concert, but this year we're on two different continents, and I went for the video option.

the bloopers contain liberal amounts of swearing, so skip those if there are kids in the room/you don't like swearing so much.

I'm not a big Taylor Swift fan but I thought you did a great job with it! Your blooper reel was hilarious!

I don't hate Taylor Swift, in fact I rather admire what she's accomplished, even though her music is not my really my thing.

austin1, you have a really nice voice and I think this was an especially cool bday present for your sister. :)

I can't say I understand the reason behind hating Taylor Swift. Is liking her perceived to be uncool so someone who chooses to hate her is cool? My daughter likes Taylor Swift and, while it's probably not the kind of music I would seek out on my own, I find her very enjoyable to listen to. I wish there were more performers out there who would have such a positive influence, particularly to younger girls. She's actually very talented and her achievements as such a young woman are already more than most people will achieve in a life time. Anyway, nice singing and a nice present despite your negative feelings toward Tayor Swift.

Mikelz, I think the love/hate thing is really more of an insider between sisters joke. My girls do the same. One loves Bieber, and the other rags her about it incessantly. ;) they likewise rag on me for liking nickelback.

I can respond to this I figure, I have collected music ravenously all my life (and have over 400K tunes in my collection, many of them uncool). Mike-take a look at what Austin usually does on the Youtube. She has talent and integrity in spades, something the music industry has long forgotten about. It is almost a rule that if a performer is winning awards, they are part of the machine- the machine is bad, and they are phony- therefore, some of us my or may not dislike what the pop machine tells us we ought to like. Taylor=Awards (and shock when she wins them...lol)-Taylor=bad.
It has nothing to do with cool, it has to do with taste really. Taylor Swift presents the perfect image of Cinderella sparkle- princess to parents so they jump in as well, Perfectly autotuned voice and arrangements written for her and directed by money we could never imagine...she is a creation of perfection marketed perfectly at a demographic...not art. But really, she is the same thing as Lady Gaga and Katy Perry, just more suitable to your (a parents) tastes until the big money pop machine sells your daughter Katy Perry (who I think is of questionable moral integrity and perhaps a less than desirable roll model), because really, they don't care what you think.
In any event- Pop music used to look like this...(made before I was born by a while)

Talent, beauty, and depth all in an easily digestible package. Perfect, and gone.
Now, I have been warned about slagging off artists on the Underground, so I will conclude by saying that Taylor Swift is extremely talented without digital manipulation, is an extremely thoughtful songwriter, and shows a degree of competence in her composition that is beyond her years.
Long story short- there are those of us who hate the pop machine because it is bad, I figure (and I do not speak for Austin1 at all here) our host might be one of them. That said...the $%*# Blooper track was so @#%$(*& good I watched the whole video. I figure you may have saved this tune Austin1. Nicely done, and what a lovely thing to do for your sister.
Sorry for the ridiculously long tirade...I hate popular music with a passion.

I can't say I understand the reason behind hating Taylor Swift. Is liking her perceived to be uncool so someone who chooses to hate her is cool? My daughter likes Taylor Swift and, while it's probably not the kind of music I would seek out on my own, I find her very enjoyable to listen to. I wish there were more performers out there who would have such a positive influence, particularly to younger girls. She's actually very talented and her achievements as such a young woman are already more than most people will achieve in a life time. Anyway, nice singing and a nice present despite your negative feelings toward Tayor Swift.

Last edited:
Once again you have made a lovely video and thank you for sharing something so personal to you and your sister with all of us. If you are not a fan of the artist's song you covered, I look forward to seeing a cover of an artist you admire! Nice job with all the editing and mixing too. I wish I were able to do that!

geez Tina this is so good. TCK said it all so I needs to keep mine pie hole zipped re Swift and big money marketing in popular music. Anyway, what an awesome video mate, your singing and playing and sense of humour all hit the bullseye. Take a bow. :)

Mikelz, I think the love/hate thing is really more of an insider between sisters joke. My girls do the same. One loves Bieber, and the other rags her about it incessantly. ;) they likewise rag on me for liking nickelback.

That is exactly what it is. :D My sister will be happy to tell you how much she hates horses!

I can respond to this I figure, I have collected music ravenously all my life (and have over 400K tunes in my collection, many of them uncool). Mike-take a look at what Austin usually does on the Youtube. She has talent and integrity in spades, something the music industry has long forgotten about. It is almost a rule that if a performer is winning awards, they are part of the machine- the machine is bad, and they are phony- therefore, some of us my or may not dislike what the pop machine tells us we ought to like. Taylor=Awards (and shock when she wins them...lol)-Taylor=bad.
It has nothing to do with cool, it has to do with taste really. Taylor Swift presents the perfect image of Cinderella sparkle- princess to parents so they jump in as well, Perfectly autotuned voice and arrangements written for her and directed by money we could never imagine...she is a creation of perfection marketed perfectly at a demographic...not art. But really, she is the same thing as Lady Gaga and Katy Perry, just more suitable to your (a parents) tastes until the big money pop machine sells your daughter Katy Perry (who I think is of questionable moral integrity and perhaps a less than desirable roll model), because really, they don't care what you think.
In any event- Pop music used to look like this...(made before I was born by a while)

Talent, beauty, and depth all in an easily digestible package. Perfect, and gone.
Now, I have been warned about slagging off artists on the Underground, so I will conclude by saying that Taylor Swift is extremely talented without digital manipulation, is an extremely thoughtful songwriter, and shows a degree of competence in her composition that is beyond her years.
Long story short- there are those of us who hate the pop machine because it is bad, I figure (and I do not speak for Austin1 at all here) our host might be one of them. That said...the $%*# Blooper track was so @#%$(*& good I watched the whole video. I figure you may have saved this tune Austin1. Nicely done, and what a lovely thing to do for your sister.

Thank you, and I have to agree. Pop music as a general rule isn't my thing, I dislike how manufactured it is. Great video you posted!

NICKLEBACK????!!!!*%$$*#WTF? Well, I'm not generally one to rag on people but in this case I have to make an exception...Freeda, you can now consider yourself officially ragged on by a redneck Tasmanian :p

bieber.jpg

I loved your vid. Thought it was very sweet for your sis. You are very talented. So many outfits. Did it take days to complete or did you do custom changes. ha ha

Oh god and I like Taylor Swift and Barry Manilow.

Top Bottom