"St. James Infirmary"

H

Hippie Dribble

traditional.

This song has been adapted and performed by countless jazz, blues and folk musicians. Consequently, numerous versions abound with variant verses that focus on different aspects of the story. In my rendition I have left out the bar room scenes to highlight the death of the girl and the meditations of the protagonist on his mortality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdx97dBbNmY

Stunning as ever Jon, I have never heard that tune before, it had a lovely sad and haunting tune, really nice to listen to and great emotional singing as ever by you, wish i had a millimetre of your talent.
I couldnt think of a better way to start my sunday morning then to slip the old headphones on and listen to you playing, thanks for sharing that with us and I hope you and all your family are well mate :)

God-I love this tune...I do it with a friend that has a voice that would make the angles weep, and never do it any other time because I can't sing it (and thus, won't). This is staggeringly beautiful Jon. Well done again my friend

Dave, TCK, Theou, Val and Perry, thankyou very much you guys.

Dave, methinks you underestimate yourself. Your voice would be perfect for a tune like this. :)

That was great, Jon. Superb rendering of a classic song.

It has an interesting history. Its origins are in an 18th century English song called "The Unfortunate Rake". There are many versions over here but when it crossed the pond it gave rise to two major variants. One is "The Streets of Laredo" which is basically the original song transferred to a Western location. The other is "St James Infirmary" which ended up in the American South where the story has become much more vague and ambiguous. All versions share the ritual funeral element though. It's a brilliant song. I did a version some time ago accompanied on my concertina.

Wow! Again...wow! Really liked that. Not much more to say.

traditional.

This song has been adapted and performed by countless jazz, blues and folk musicians. Consequently, numerous versions abound with variant verses that focus on different aspects of the story. In my rendition I have left out the bar room scenes to highlight the death of the girl and the meditations of the protagonist on his mortality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdx97dBbNmY

Well done Jon.
I've been woodshedding this song for the past couple weeks. It's a powerful song, that just drips with emotion. Your rendition reminds me a bit of Pink Anderson's, which is about the best compliment I can give.
That little Covered Bridge brings it!

Jon, you've outdone yourself, brother..... I can't even think of anything to say. I've got a playlist on my YT channel called 'listen'......seems like almost all the music I listen to these days is geared toward songs I want to learn or a particular style I want to play.... realized awhile back that I had stopped listening to music for the pure joy of being transported by the work of another soul. So I started this playlist and only add songs that really move me, that I want to really hear.... I try to sit down at least once a week and let it run, just soaking it in...... this latest of yours just got moved to the top of the list. Thanks for this - it's truly something else.

Wow Jon... I simple loved it..your playing, and voice, ukulele...all working together to create a beautiful moment! Thanks so much for sharing. You have a great talent.

Hey Jon. Good seeing you back up and right.

Super job on a great tune. If only songs could tell their history. There are a bunch of those lines that show up in alot of other songs.

Thanks again.

That was great, Jon. Superb rendering of a classic song.

It has an interesting history. Its origins are in an 18th century English song called "The Unfortunate Rake". There are many versions over here but when it crossed the pond it gave rise to two major variants. One is "The Streets of Laredo" which is basically the original song transferred to a Western location. The other is "St James Infirmary" which ended up in the American South where the story has become much more vague and ambiguous. All versions share the ritual funeral element though. It's a brilliant song. I did a version some time ago accompanied on my concertina.
thanks much for the background Geoff. The folk process is truly an interesting beast eh, the way songs are adapted, reclaimed, slightly altered and rewritten for different social circumstances. Some dislike it, but I guess it's how these songs are kept alive and vibrant. Guthrie was a master of it.

Top Bottom