Difficulty Holding Uke

heyjohn

Reaction score
Ok, I know I'm just a beginner but I'm having trouble holding the thing. I either press harder and harder and get marks all over the inside of my forearm, or I overpower it playing bar chords and pull it right out. I know I'm supposed to be gentle....I'm trying to be. I've played some guitar and never really got comfortable with that unless I was sitting down with the body resting on my leg. With the guitar I tried straps but then it hung too low and I couldn't play the left hand. The situation seems to be the same with the uke, although I haven't tried a strap yet. I won't be good enough to stand up and entertain anytime soon but I want to be able to hold it when I get there. Is this just a matter of practice like everything else? Any help is really appreciated.

Aloha

I've just fitted strap buttons to my Uke' and the difference is unbelievable.

If your uke doesn't have a strap button(s) and you aren't sure you want to go that route, consider the Uke Leash--it made a huge difference for me when I started out.

Another possibility is the Uke Thong. I struggled with this issue for five months, and my uke life changed when I found the Uke Thong two days ago. I play sitting down, and it has been a tremendous help.

DIY-strap:
I tied a shoelace around the head and between the two bouts (over the soundhole). It's cheap, comes in multiple colors, and it really helps.

I second the Uke Leash

I used one early on, but I found as time went on, I needed it less and less. I find the important thing was to get the body tucked into the crook of my elbow and I could then hold it quite securely without holding on too tight. It is definitely something that comes with practice.

Uke leash was money well spent though, and it is still there should I need it.

I can bang out 1st position chords all week without a strap, but I can't pull off complicated chord changes right up the neck.

The example I gave earlier in the week of THIS piece, where I couldn't even get close to playing it without a strap, illustrates the problem from my own perspective. Whether you persevere without a strap, or get some buttons fitted/buy a leash is, in my opinion, entirely down to the type of playing you expect to be doing. If you know you'll only ever be strumming up around the nut, forget about straps, otherwise you'll become dependant on them, and be unable to perform without one.

Howdy. What size Uke do you have? Sopranos and concerts can nestle in your forearm. Tenor and Bari are different.

Uke leash is great to let your fret hand be free. Otherwise I'd recommend adding strap buttons.

If i'm not sitting I'm using a classical guitar strap that just hooks on the bottom of the sound hole.

+1 Uke Leash!

I think it's slow and steady wins the teddy, so there's no shame in not being able to play standing that good yet (I know from experience lol).

With that being said, if you want to eventually play standing, I think it's best if you apply more pressure with your strumming forehand, not your fretting side. That's because on the fretting side, the pressure caused by your fretting fingers will be relieved mainly with pressure from your thumb, not your body. If your thumb is above the fretboard, then it's harder to counteract the pressure from your fretting fingers. Plus, another reason why you should apply more pressure with your strumming forehand is that you'll want to have the body of the ukulele act as a "pivot point" so that it'll kinda relieve that pressure caused by gravity, making it a little bit easier when you move up and down the fretboard.

If you're not quite at that level yet (and again, don't worry too much about it), sitting down is awesome because you don't have to worry about dropping your ukulele. This means that you don't need to vicegrip your strumming arm and your body, since the ukulele will rest nicely on your leg. Oh, and for the left-hand-too-low problem, I find it easiest when my hand is around my shoulder level, but maybe that's just me.

I'm going to say no to any gizmos and mods just because I believe that learning how to play the hard way is more rewarding in the long run, but whatever floats your boat I guess...

Oh, and the basic rule is that if your fingers are turning red, then you're probably doing it wrong xD

I used to use a UkeLeash all the time- It helped me learn how to position myself and the uke. However, when I got a uke with friction tuners, the neck felt like it was floating, so I only used the uke leash when I was standing. Eventually I lost it, spent a few months not really playing standing, but then I ordered two more, just in case I lost one. My girlfriend the other day was asking why I never wear my brown hoodie anymore, and as soon as I put it on, I reached into the pocket, and out came the original uke leash!

Basically, the moral of the story is- eventually you get a hang of it. I still use the uke leash, though, when I stand, not because I really need it, but it takes my mind off the having to hold it part.

Like everyone else has said, there are many kinds of straps and you should try one. I use a strap now for my tenor and it makes a world of difference. :)

Using the sound hole can scratch or damage your uke. I installed a button on the bottom of my uke. It was simple. Use a flashlight to look inside your uke to be sure there is a block to screw the button into. Drill a pilot hole carefully into the block, and screw the button on. You can get a length of nylon strapping from a store that sells material. Cut a small slit on one end of the strapping to pop it over the button and then feed the other end of the strap under your strings on the top of your uke and adjust it to whatever length is comfortable for you. The button will cost around $3.00 and the strap is around $2.00. For $5.00 you will be able to play much better. I have 3 ukes, all with homemade straps. I cannot play without them. Good luck. Contact me if you get confused.

I actually just installed a strap button and a guitar-style strap on my uke yesterday and I'm loving it!

I was a little apprehensive to screw anything directly into my uke, and after talking to someone at the music store I decided that gluing it on would be the best option. I used Gorilla Glue and just followed the instructions on the box. Used a rubber band to clamp the strap button on while it was drying and two hours later it was ready to go.

I was a little worried the glue wouldn't hold, but it seems incredibly sturdy so far, I played for a few hours last night and had no problems. I found it a lot of fun to play standing up with the strap, and loved being able to walk around while I played (although I'm sure my roommates did not). Maybe it was the novelty since I had mostly played sitting down before, but I loved it.

Oh, and if you're looking for a good uke strap I got mine from Souldier. They are all handmade in Chicago (local for me!), and they really look/work great. They sell both traditional Ukulele straps that hook into the sound hole (http://souldier.us/CustomUkuleleStraps.aspx) and guitar-style "mandolin" straps (http://souldier.us/CustomMandolinStraps.aspx).

I went with the mandolin strap and it fits perfectly on my concert uke (the strap is adjustable so it should work on any size uke). The ukulele straps looked good too, but I was just worried about ripping out the sound hole - an irrational fear I'm sure and I know tons of people use them, but still, I could see something happening due to operator error.

Anyways, sorry for the long post, but since I just did this yesterday I'm pretty excited about the results and thought I'd share...

If your uke doesn't have a strap button(s) and you aren't sure you want to go that route, consider the Uke Leash--it made a huge difference for me when I started out.

Yeah, this is THE way to go if you are unsure about putting strap buttons on. Not only does it work incredibly well, it is perfectly safe for your uke: no marks or scratches or tools.

I personally prefer the look of my uke without the button, which is why I opted for the leash. I don't need it much at all now, but when I was having problems holding the uke and navigating the fretboard, it was the perfect solution.

after talking to someone at the music store I decided that gluing it on would be the best option

Someone in a music store told you to glue a strap button on an instrument? As in "someone who actually works in the store"? Was he wearing a helmet and carrying some crayons?

Last edited:
Someone in a music store told you to glue a strap button on an instrument? As in "someone who actually works in the store"? Was he wearing a helmet and carrying some crayons?

Hey - didn't say it was the best advice, but it was easy and it's working out great, so I can't complain.

If I had a nicer uke I'd try to go through the extra work to get it installed properly, but on my "starter" model I figured the easiest/cheapest option that gets the job done would be best.

Either way, works for me.

So long as it works for you, that's the important part. I wasn't criticising you for following his advice, I was criticising him for giving it.

haidpc lagged

Thanks for all the ideas. I'm actually surprised at how many people use one or the other. I guess I'm leaning toward a guitar-like strap and installing a button. The Leash seems to limit up/down movement of the head too much. My problem isn't the head, it's the body dropping out of the crook of my arm after leaving a few good-sized dents. Anyway, for now, I'm going to practice with nothing and let things kind of decide themselves. Maybe I'll learn just fine and not need one. Either way I think time and practice will help me decide what I need. Thanks again all! What a great group!

Aloha

Top Bottom