best strings for mango tenor

lochman

Reaction score
hi folks...i have a pono solid mango tenor strung with aquilas at the moment....any suggestions or experience of other strings that would work or sound better . ....thanks

On my Mainland Mango tenor I've tried the following:

Aquilas (what it shipped with): Okay, but basically like every uke with Aquilas - loud, somewhat "brash" Aquila sound.

Clear fluorocarbon strings similar to a Worth CM set: Very sweet, noticeable loss in volume vs. the Aquilas but much more complex chimey sound. These strings are a bit light for a tenor - I think maybe a Worth CT or CH set would not lose so much volume.

Ko'Olau Gold tenor strings: these gold nylon strings are the bomb on this uke. The kept the very sweet, complex sound like the flourocarbon strings with maybe a tiny bit less chime. The strings are heavier gage, intended for a tenor, so volume falls somewhere between the Aquila and the CM set mentioned above. I like these enough on this uke that I was very glad when Ko'Olau announced that they were going to continue production of them after all.

(EDIT: I just posted a song for the Seasons "contest" over in the contest forum. This is my Mainland mango with the Ko'Olau gold strings - but it's using the MiSi pickup with a bit of reverb added in Audacity). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDRsy-sNGYQ&feature=youtu.be

John

Last edited:
I like Worth Clears on my mango tenor - they sound a little bit "clearer" to me than Aquilas if that makes sense

I've run across Worth's, I think, but where does one find Ko'Olau gold strings? Suggestions for a good place to buy either?

I do not work here,but seems like I am a commercial for them << haha

www.theukulelesite.com

fyi they are Ko'olau

Last edited:
I've run across Worth's, I think, but where does one find Ko'Olau gold strings? Suggestions for a good place to buy either?
Elderly also carries a good inventory of strings including Worth, Ko`olau, Aquila, Martin. Uke Republic also carries a vast assortment.

HMS has the complete line of Ko'Olau strings - Gold, Alohi, and Mahana in all sizes and in high-g and wound low-g.

John

Top Bottom