which uke?

CoLmes

UU+
Reaction score
alright im ordering my 2nd ukulele soon.. my first was just a hilo soprano because i figured i never played an instrument and didn't no if i would like the ukulele, so i went cheap.. now im getting better and think its time for an upgrade

the 2 ukulele's im looking at are

Oscar Schmidt OU5 Concert Koa Ukulele
http://folk-instruments.musiciansfriend.com/product/Oscar-Schmidt-OU5-Concert-Koa-Ukulele?sku=514017

and

The Bushman Jenny Concert
http://www.ukes.com/bushman-ukuleles.html

can anyone give me tips or pros n cons to any of them?? or any other suggestion for ukulele's

oh!

also i went with a concert size because i heard and read it sounds richer

Hi

Again personal preferance with this question.
My opinion i would go for the Jenny Bushman Concert. Ive heard good things about them thats why. The sound on the concert resonates pretty well. No buzzing on frets. Loud projection, action is pretty decent and low.
I dont think its solid wood.

But yeah i'd go for the Jenny bushman

=]

ive heard that Oscar Schmidts were not very good.. as far as sound and quality.. i dont remember where i heard that.... but yeah.. just throwing that out there haha.

i would suggest, if its possible, to find a store close enough that sells ukes so that you can try some out. it will help you get a feel for different sizes, shapes, woods, etc.

i received the OS ou2 as a gift IMO it wasn't great but it was good. Swapped with Worth's and intonation was almost perfect.

As far as your choices i never played a bushman uke but I heard amazing reviews for Bushman and the OS ou5 which i have tried is really bright and pretty cheap for a koa concert size.

I personally like the concert size its perfect for those who want more frets than a soprano and smaller than a tenor.

I'd say try them out at your local store or read up on reviews...Also check out MUSICGUYMIC on ebay. if you give him a call or email him i'm sure with the price range your going for you can get an awesome uke that is setup by MGM and free goodies!!!

Try winning a BUSHMAN....there is a contest going on (at least i think its still going on)

Aloha, I've never heard an oscar before but I have played the jenny concert and it sounds superb with good intonation. :)

Let me throw a wrench in, you can also check with MGM. He has a variety of instruments to fit anyone's budget. A number of the members have bought from him and will attest to his service. Won't hurt to check him out.

ok

im gonna go with the bushman.. but what is abetter size concert or tenor?? and should i get new strings for it?

"Better" is all relative. What I like might not be what you like. Sorry, but if you can't play different sized ukuleles before you buy one, you'll just have to try and see.

I don't know what kind of strings Bushmans come with, so I don't know if you should change them or not. It never hurts to buy a few different kinds of strings to see what you like, though.

Bushmans come with Aquila strings. I've tried some other strings on my Jenny, but haven't like them as much. But string preferences are pretty subjective...

Top Bottom