PDA

View Full Version : UncleElvis

CousinDerek
07-22-2012, 07:04 AM
First time posting in a while because I just got back home from a cruise to the beautiful island of BERMUDA.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, and I highly doubt it, but I just wanted to express our (being my family and I) gratitude to fellow uke'r and forum member, UncleElvis. We happened to stumble up to a bar where Mike was doing a gig, and I couldn't begin to explain how excited I was to see someone else playing the ukulele. His playing was amazing and his jokes were even better, we went back to see him play every night because we enjoyed it so much. SO if you happen to read this UncleElvis I want you to know that watching you perform was the highlight of the family vacation, thanks.

FREE BIRD!

austin1
07-22-2012, 07:21 AM
UncleElvis is a brilliant uke player, a wonderful human being, and one of the coolest, funniest, and all-around most bada§§ performers I've ever met in my life. I love being able to call him my friend :D Also, he gives great hugs.

salukulady
07-22-2012, 07:48 AM
Derek, you should catch his gig every June in Needmore Indiana at UWC.

And yes his hugs are good and nasty.

OldePhart
07-22-2012, 07:53 AM
Uncle E dah man!

UncleElvis
07-22-2012, 04:25 PM
OMG! TWO THREADS!

You lot are going to make me cry!

I love y'all so much!

Cousin Derek is made of awesome, by the way, so everyone friend him and make him part of the family!
His family is AMAZING! Funny and fun, so insanely supportive of my nonsense and just... they're the bomb!

You HAVE to come to UWC, Derek! You'll love it!

Tina is, in fact, the real bomb and I'm going to make out with her face with my mouth.
Sally is filthy and I love her and I want a NASTY hug real soon!
Ol' Phart is, in fact, the only person in the world allowed to wake me up at 8am on a chilly June morning and ONLY if he says those magic words "Espresso's on!"

Actually, Kev, I'm gonna send you a FB message in a sec re: strings, etc. I'm thinking about messing around with line on my Baritone and wanted to chat witcha about various options.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
07-22-2012, 06:02 PM
Uncle Elvis has always been one of my heroes.

consitter
07-22-2012, 06:05 PM

Make an Uncle Elvis ukulele!

Hippie Dribble
07-22-2012, 06:20 PM
There was a uke legend named Elvis
Some say he was non compos mentis
But with his fine jokes and singing
He'd send the ladies' heads swimming
And without even waggling his pelvis.

:)

bbycrts
07-22-2012, 06:39 PM
How can I not say anything?

UE is the best - hilarious, spontaneous, and a great uker and overall performer to boot! I think there may even be taped evidence of the time at UWC where his magnetism actually made a woman pregnant from 30 feet away WITHOUT EVEN TOUCHING HER.

He's that good. And my friend. And I adore him.

UncleElvis
07-22-2012, 07:24 PM

The blood just left my brain and I swooned. SWOONED, I tell you!

'Cuz you are MY hero, brother!

Seriously. You followed your dreams and are living a life that you want (or are, at least, doing a great job of faking it! *lol*). You're an inspiration to me and your example made it a heck of a lot easier to talk myself into following MY dream when I lost my job in December.

One day, I'm gonna shake your hand... and possibly put a large wad of cash in it for a custom!

Of course, if you're messing with me and are talking about the dude that used to write letters to the editor to the comics back in the late 70s/early 80s, then I admire you even more! *grin*

UncleElvis
07-22-2012, 07:26 PM
There was a uke legend named Elvis
Some say he was non compos mentis
But with his fine jokes and singing
He'd send the ladies' heads swimming
And without even waggling his pelvis.

:)

A limerick? For me? From Eugene Ukulele? And not a word of it untrue?

THIS IS THE BEST DAY EVER!

Seriously, though. Thanks.
You're an amazing performer and I admire and respect you more than you can know, so for the kind words, I... I don't have words. Thank you.

UncleElvis
07-22-2012, 07:28 PM
How can I not say anything?

UE is the best - hilarious, spontaneous, and a great uker and overall performer to boot! I think there may even be taped evidence of the time at UWC where his magnetism actually made a woman pregnant from 30 feet away WITHOUT EVEN TOUCHING HER.

He's that good. And my friend. And I adore him.

BARBY CARTS! Don't make me cry! I swear!

I am innocent of all charges! She fell onto it! Repeatedly!

I swear, I'm going to do a tour of the world just so I can hug all you amazing people.

UncleElvis
07-22-2012, 07:31 PM
Make an Uncle Elvis ukulele!

He may have an inkling, but I'm saying it right now...

One day, he will. Oh, yes. He will. Possibly two. (I like 8-strings, but I need something traditional from Mr. Moore, so... oh, lord... I just thought about the whole process of getting pair of Moore Bettah with Bermuda sand and Bermuda Cedar inlay and just swooned again!

SuzukHammer
07-22-2012, 11:21 PM
Put me down as a UncleElvis fan too.

He was able to support my first time on stage.

UncleElvis
07-23-2012, 05:11 AM
Put me down as a UncleElvis fan too.

He was able to support my first time on stage.

And you were AWESOME! It was a pleasure to watch!

ukeeku
07-23-2012, 06:04 AM
No sharp objects near UE for a while. y'all are inflating his head and ego a bit. :biglaugh:
Love you Mike
Missed you at the Mighty MO. Need to figure out a way to get you to the states as a headliner/teacher at a fest.

nscafe
07-23-2012, 06:38 AM
I need to make it to UWC (or Bermuda?) sometime so I can get in on this world-famous hugging action. Keep on keepin' on Uncle E! Changing the world one tourist at a time with four strings and a dream! :)

spookefoote
07-23-2012, 06:51 AM
Uncle Elvis is ten men, so there!

CousinDerek
07-23-2012, 09:49 AM
UE, I would love for you to try and incorporate "Somebody's baby" by jackson browne, I think the ladies will be swooning and it's super fun to play.

On a side note - I'm now in the market for a tenor with a pickup because I've been inspired by you brother and want to take my uke'ing into the streets of Charleston, SC (as you know, with somebody else singing for me of course) ;)

Thank you once again, truly inspiring, I haven't put down my uke since I met you

Pueo
07-23-2012, 09:55 AM
Yeah, well I shared a bed with UncleElvis so I win!
He is the bestest and and I am proud to call him my friend.
He *Rocks*!
:rock:

Uke Republic
07-23-2012, 10:11 AM
Elviss is da man! Hard not to love that $5**@##?%@!#$! He told me I could use his home , scooter and underpants when ever I'm in Bermuda :)

UncleElvis
07-23-2012, 10:55 AM
Keeks, I couldn't agree more! One day! I'm trying to figger out how!

nscafe, either/or would be awesome! I recommend UWC, though... more hugs there and better people! *grin*

spookefoote, one day, sooner than we think (I hope), I'm gonna be up there and we're SO going to jam! Two man orchestra, I tell ya!

Damon, we shared a bed for but a few minutes. I'm fickle like that! *lol* Love 'em and leave 'em!
And I am proud to call YOU friend, sir!

Mike, I thought you said I could borrow YOUR underwear if you ever came down... somewhere there's been a mixup...

cletus
07-23-2012, 11:31 AM
Dear Uncle Elvis:
Without violating privacy, can we get some details about your gig?

How in the hell...? Etc. :wtf:

Thanks and Cheers!

UncleElvis
07-23-2012, 02:18 PM
Dear Uncle Elvis:
Without violating privacy, can we get some details about your gig?

How in the hell...? Etc. :wtf:

Thanks and Cheers!

I have no privacy! I'm an open book.

Now, for the "How in the hell did I get a gig in Bermuda?" thing... you see, when a Mama and a Papa love each other very much...

I was born and raised here and will probably never leave.
I worked in the tourism and entertainment industry for years, doing a bunch of different things and, when I finally found my true love in the ukulele, everything sort of came together.
I lost my job in December (family business. We realized we couldn't afford me to work full-time any more, so...) and bust my butt for 4 months, learning songs, getting better at playing, doing any gig I could get my hands on in order to get experience. When I finally landed at the Beach - which people give me crap for, saying I only got the gig because I worked in the industry for so long, which is, oddly enough, completely the opposite of true! I know most of the owners and managers elsewhere. Rick, the owner, wasn't a friend until AFTER he hired me! - I was inside and making crap tips. Then, one night, the manager said "We're going to put you outside for Harbour Nights (a street fair we have every Wednesday night)" and the tips went up about tenfold and I had an AMAZING time. No TVs to distract the audience, just me. I love this gig. Apparently, people like me, too, 'cuz pretty soon, the owner asked me to do Saturdays and then, when that didn't work out, to do Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
I love doing it, but don't get me wrong. It's HARD work. The fingertips and nails alone are work! I play for three hours straight, so my hands take a beating. My knees and calves are not happy with me by the end, either (hence the carpet! It was worse before!) I also spend an additional two or three hours practicing and rehearsing and a few more hours working on promotional stuff, arranging songs for the gigs, designing posters and tshirts and stuff, in case I need them, hitting Facebook to promote, emailing various folks around the island and around the world, trying to figger out how to get gigs overseas so I can go visit people and not have it cost me a fortune and hanging out with my wife and cat!

But I absolutely adore it. If I was independently wealthy and didn't have to work, I'd be out there doing it for free.

Find what you love and then do it. It's the best advice I ever got!

Hippie Dribble
07-23-2012, 02:35 PM
I have no privacy! I'm an open book.

Now, for the "How in the hell did I get a gig in Bermuda?" thing... you see, when a Mama and a Papa love each other very much...

I was born and raised here and will probably never leave.
I worked in the tourism and entertainment industry for years, doing a bunch of different things and, when I finally found my true love in the ukulele, everything sort of came together.
I lost my job in December (family business. We realized we couldn't afford me to work full-time any more, so...) and bust my butt for 4 months, learning songs, getting better at playing, doing any gig I could get my hands on in order to get experience. When I finally landed at the Beach - which people give me crap for, saying I only got the gig because I worked in the industry for so long, which is, oddly enough, completely the opposite of true! I know most of the owners and managers elsewhere. Rick, the owner, wasn't a friend until AFTER he hired me! - I was inside and making crap tips. Then, one night, the manager said "We're going to put you outside for Harbour Nights (a street fair we have every Wednesday night)" and the tips went up about tenfold and I had an AMAZING time. No TVs to distract the audience, just me. I love this gig. Apparently, people like me, too, 'cuz pretty soon, the owner asked me to do Saturdays and then, when that didn't work out, to do Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
I love doing it, but don't get me wrong. It's HARD work. The fingertips and nails alone are work! I play for three hours straight, so my hands take a beating. My knees and calves are not happy with me by the end, either (hence the carpet! It was worse before!) I also spend an additional two or three hours practicing and rehearsing and a few more hours working on promotional stuff, arranging songs for the gigs, designing posters and tshirts and stuff, in case I need them, hitting Facebook to promote, emailing various folks around the island and around the world, trying to figger out how to get gigs overseas so I can go visit people and not have it cost me a fortune and hanging out with my wife and cat!

But I absolutely adore it. If I was independently wealthy and didn't have to work, I'd be out there doing it for free.

Find what you love and then do it. It's the best advice I ever got!

WOW!!!! What a story!!!! Don't want to piss in your pocket necessarily E but after reading this you now are officially not only my hero but my utter inspiration. It takes balls to put yourself out there like that and anyone who's played live a fair bit, knows how taxing - discouraging - euphoric - pure joy and everything in between it can be. The hours of work and prep and promo you describe shred my brain. 3 hours a night on your feet? Then you can't sleep for at least a couple more after it's over...man, you deserve all the success that comes your way. Making people happy by doing something you love? Alright! Me and eugenie gots ta stowaway to Bermuda so we can throw money in your case and shout you cordials all night. :p

Legend.

:cheers:

cletus
07-23-2012, 03:08 PM
WOW!!!! What a story!!!! Don't want to piss in your pocket necessarily E but after reading this you now are officially not only my hero but my utter inspiration...

Yup! Indeed... holy shit 3 hours! What sort of tunes are on your set list?

JT_Ukes
07-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Dis man...

Some say dis.. Hero,

He play the uke, many uke. some with 4 string some with 8 string,

He paly Piano Man on uke... it lasts for 20-30 40 minutes.. it not stop..

He is amazing.

And he betta Get his A$$ to TBUG! :) brudda we gonna play and sing.

UncleElvis
07-23-2012, 05:11 PM
WOW!!!! What a story!!!! Don't want to piss in your pocket necessarily E but after reading this you now are officially not only my hero but my utter inspiration. It takes balls to put yourself out there like that and anyone who's played live a fair bit, knows how taxing - discouraging - euphoric - pure joy and everything in between it can be. The hours of work and prep and promo you describe shred my brain. 3 hours a night on your feet? Then you can't sleep for at least a couple more after it's over...man, you deserve all the success that comes your way. Making people happy by doing something you love? Alright! Me and eugenie gots ta stowaway to Bermuda so we can throw money in your case and shout you cordials all night. :p

Legend.

:cheers:

If you lot make it to Bermuda, you're playing every song in your repertoire for me while _I_ throw money in YOUR case!
The trick, I've found, is to let go of the "discouraging" part! Refuse to let anyone discourage you and it gets SO much easier.

And y'all are so incredibly complimentary, I hesitate to let you know that on July 4th, I did a 2.5 hour gig, went home, dried off and went back out to do another 2 hour gig elsewhere, then back to The Beach for a regular three hour...
and then, on the Friday, I did my 3 hour coffee shop gig, then straight to another bar to play for another 2 and a half! *grin*
Find what you love, you guys. Seriously.
I've been crazy lucky, sure, but working hard doing this feels like I'm slacking off!

UncleElvis
07-23-2012, 05:15 PM
Yup! Indeed... holy shit 3 hours! What sort of tunes are on your set list?

I do probably 70 or 80 tunes in a night, everything from Tracy Chapman/Ale'a's "Baby Can I Hold You" to "Piano Man" to "Just a Friend" by Biz Markie to "Summertime" from Porgie and Bess.

I have an iPad with chords, so about 7 times out of 10, I can figure out a song on the fly... and the other three, I just ridicule the person mercilessly for their crappy choice... or gasp in awe at their amazing taste and tell them I should learn it!
I bring people up to play... then, like I did with Derek, heckle them!
I also enjoy heckling people in the audience and passers-by.

Y'all should come down some time!

UncleElvis
07-23-2012, 05:16 PM
Dis man...

Some say dis.. Hero,

He play the uke, many uke. some with 4 string some with 8 string,

He paly Piano Man on uke... it lasts for 20-30 40 minutes.. it not stop..

He is amazing.

And he betta Get his A$$ to TBUG! :) brudda we gonna play and sing.

No 4-string, YET! I gotta get to TBUG before I get a 4string!

And I got it up to 24 minutes the other night! It HAS to be a record! *grin*