Interest Check: KoAloha Tenor Thinline w/LR Baggs 5.0 Factory Installed Pick-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

soupking

Reaction score
I purchased this uke from MGM at Hawaii Music Supply in March 2012. I haven't played it too much; I'd say it's got about two hours playing time total. I've purposefully babied it because I knew upon receiving it that I probably shouldn't have bought it to begin with. I'm looking to offload it because I have nine ukes and no time to play them all. I'm working sixty+ hours a week with a wife and two kids at home.

This one in particular has beautiful figuring; especially for a KoAloha, from what I've seen of their instruments the past few years. The photos were taken by MGM and the uke is in the exact same condition as when I received it. I can provide pictures upon request, it's just that I'm tired of going through the hassle of doing so only to see my listings drop to page seven of the marketplace without a single inquiry. Haha. I have conducted several transactions in the marketplace the last few years though, so nothing to be worried about- just check my posting history. It's pristine. I wish I could keep it, but I cannot justify it, as a) I already have a regular KoAloha tenor, b) I don't gig and thusly have no use for the pick-up, and c) as I previously stated I have no time to give the nine ukes I own their due playing time.

I paid $1,195 for the uke and custom thinline case. I'd like $1,000 for the entire set up, with shipping to the CONUS provided free of charge. I'm not a fan of shipping abroad as I've done so many times in the past, although I won't rule it out entirely, provided a proper agreement can be reached in terms of shipping duties and such; but again, ideally, I'd like to keep it within the US.

As you can see it's a beautiful uke. As far as sound, I've never heard a bad KoAloha and don't believe one exists. I currently own four and have sold one other one; all of them great. The thinline acoustically sounds pretty much exactly the same as my KTM-00, although not quite as rich, but with an added punch. The pick-up has not even been used, but it was factory installed (by Brian, I was told) so nothing to worry about there. Send a pm if interested. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• photo-30.jpg
    photo-30.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 326
  • photo-29.jpg
    photo-29.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 268
  • photo-28.jpg
    photo-28.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 276
  • photo-27.jpg
    photo-27.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 278
Lovely! A candidate for the tenor thinline cases that I bought from Aaron Keim, but... short on $$ presently. Someone will surely snap this one up.

Come with a case?

Yes, the case is included. It's a Ko'olau case which is basically the same as the normal ones except a tad thinner. I'll put the damn photos up later tonight. Haha.

get-attachment-1.aspx.jpgget-attachment-5.aspx.jpgget-attachment-3.aspx.jpgget-attachment-4.aspx.jpgget-attachment-7.aspx.jpg

Still for sale, and looking for $1,000 including free shipping to CONUS. List price for these is now $1,350; not sure what street is as HMS is currently out, but I paid $1,195 back in March. The figuring is still some of the best I've seen from KoAloha's production line, though, in my opinion, as I've been a fan for many years now and always have my eye out on them. As stated in original post, I have not played this uke very much, and the pick-up has still not been used at all; ie full battery. Comes with thinline case pictured. Super easy to play- effortless in fact. I don't have any experience with the other major Hawaiian K-brands, but I do have many other higher-end ukes, and none are easier to play than the KoAlohas. US only sale, still free shipping.

Edit: Ugh, I don't know how to flip the pics so I'll put up a link for Photobucket with additional pictures:

http://s1123.beta.photobucket.com/user/soupking/library/Thinline%20and%20Red%20Label

Last edited:
More photos, hope they turn out better. Price drop to $895. If anyone out there has an offer, I'm all ears; haven't had a single solitary inquiry...

100_0966.jpg100_0969.jpg100_0970.jpg100_0971.jpg

I just received one this week and it's absolutely fantastic! Someone will snag this, and the case is super nice. I didn't realize the case was sized for this uke as it's thinner which is great.
Ko'olau cases are awesome with the red stitch arch top cases.

People don't realize how full the sound is on this uke. Daniel Ho inspired me to get one when I played with him last year at a ukulele retreat. We were jamming and was playing his thin body KoAloha and I was sitting facing him so I could hear the sound coming right at me and said "WOW, I gotta get one of these!!!" Here is he playing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1wNElovghY. I never realized he was/is? a featured artist for KoAloha but this video tells me he is. I find it refreshing he is out there playing the same thing all of us play, not a custom KoAloha no one else has. I have seen him numerous times playing it on stage. Says something as to the quality and sound of the instrument and that this instrument sounds as good as any of the instruments I have heard costing thousands of dollars more. He's playing what everyone else plays. Unfortunately I'll never sound as great as he does!! The guy is a master...but I digress.

The tone is just sweet. You would never imagine the body is 1/2 the depth. You'll sell this baby as certain as the 49er's beat Greenbay yesterday! ;-)

He's playing what everyone else plays

Not really, he's not playing a Kala like most of us ;-)

I agree though, these ukes seem to be among the very best sounding factory ukuleles available. Definitely professional level. Hope you find a buyer soupking! Gorgeous uke!

I spent a weekend with Daniel Ho at my theatre in New Jersey where he gave a workshop and then concert. Alan Okami of KoAloha was also there. Daniel played his thin line KoAloha the entire weekend. When I asked him about it, he said that he loves to travel with it because of its size, but also because it has great clarity, especially for finger picking. It does not have the full acoustic volume of a full sized tenor but it sounds awesome with a pick-up. Daniel said he also uses it for recording because it sounds so great. I was shocked when Daniel just handed it over for me to play and then he walked away to sign autographs and meet people. I sat there and played his uke for about a half hour and then Alan Okami came over and we chatted about how wonderful the sound of these thin lines are. So clear and rich sounding.

I just received one this week and it's absolutely fantastic! Someone will snag this, and the case is super nice. I didn't realize the case was sized for this uke as it's thinner which is great.
Ko'olau cases are awesome with the red stitch arch top cases.

People don't realize how full the sound is on this uke. Daniel Ho inspired me to get one when I played with him last year at a ukulele retreat. We were jamming and was playing his thin body KoAloha and I was sitting facing him so I could hear the sound coming right at me and said "WOW, I gotta get one of these!!!" Here is he playing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1wNElovghY. I never realized he was/is? a featured artist for KoAloha but this video tells me he is. I find it refreshing he is out there playing the same thing all of us play, not a custom KoAloha no one else has. I have seen him numerous times playing it on stage. Says something as to the quality and sound of the instrument and that this instrument sounds as good as any of the instruments I have heard costing thousands of dollars more. He's playing what everyone else plays. Unfortunately I'll never sound as great as he does!! The guy is a master...but I digress.

The tone is just sweet. You would never imagine the body is 1/2 the depth. You'll sell this baby as certain as the 49er's beat Greenbay yesterday! ;-)

He was probably giving you the Koaloha, Ed. A nice gesture would have been for you to give him one of your ukes in return. The Kala comes to mind.

Soup, that is a stunning ukulele! If not sold to tattoo, send me a PM please. Steve.

Last edited:
He was probably giving you the Koaloha, Ed. A nice gesture would have been for you to give him one of your ukes in return. The Kala comes to mind.

Soup, that is a stunning ukulele! If not sold to tattoo, send me a PM please. Steve.

Steve, I offered the Kala but it had Jake's signature on it-- so he just signed his name (bigger than Jake's - lol). BTW, Daniel is a wonderful person. Very open, giving, and sincere. It was a wonderful weekend.

Aw man, I'm cringing as I write this, haha. Apologies to any UU friends who are sick of this thread. Lol. Bump, let's get it sold once and for all. $850 shipped/insured to CONUS...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom