Are friction tuners in any way "similar" to violin/cello peg heads?

beautifulsoup

Reaction score
Hello. I've been reading the various threads about geared tuners vs. friction tuners, etc. My small collection of ukes are all geared tuner-equipped. (three sopranos, and one concert).

Now I'm more curious about trying friction tuners; up until now I have shied away...

And yesterday I thought to myself, Hey I played violin and cello once upon a time (About forty years ago (!)) - and would tuning those instruments be similar in any way to the friction pegs/tuiners.

I guess what I'm getting at is...if it's sort of the same principle, maybe any trepidation I've had is unfounded.

??

Last edited:
There is zero reason to be afraid of friction tuners. Ukuleles started out with wood peg tuners....which contrary to what some people seem to think....work great. Mechanical friction tuners work fine as well.....I just don't understand the angst I read about all the time. They take a gentle touch, but they are not any more or less difficult to use.

Badly adjusted friction tuners don't work well, and for the life of me, I don't know why people seem to be afraid to adjust the screw on tuners.....

Don't be afraid of them, they work fine!

I think you'll find good friction tuners much easier to use compared to violin pegs.

You don't need to worry about peg dope, or pushing the peg in as you tune to keep in place.

Friction tuners tune just as fast as pegs (1:1 ration). They stay in tune longer (if not they have a tightening screw in the end).

All things considered; if you didn't mind tuning pegs, you probably will like a good set of friction tuners.

Another thing to consider is: are the geared tuners bothering you. Sometimes they make an instrument top heavy. Otherwise there might not be a good reason to switch.

Hope this helps!

There is zero reason to be afraid of friction tuners. Ukuleles started out with wood peg tuners....which contrary to what some people seem to think....work great. Mechanical friction tuners work fine as well.....I just don't understand the angst I read about all the time. They take a gentle touch, but they are not any more or less difficult to use.

Badly adjusted friction tuners don't work well, and for the life of me, I don't know why people seem to be afraid to adjust the screw on tuners.....

Don't be afraid of them, they work fine!

Thanks. I want to try them. :)

I think you'll find good friction tuners much easier to use compared to violin pegs.

You don't need to worry about peg dope, or pushing the peg in as you tune to keep in place.

Friction tuners tune just as fast as pegs (1:1 ration). They stay in tune longer (if not they have a tightening screw in the end).

All things considered; if you didn't mind tuning pegs, you probably will like a good set of friction tuners.

Another thing to consider is: are the geared tuners bothering you. Sometimes they make an instrument top heavy. Otherwise there might not be a good reason to switch.

Hope this helps!

See, that's one reason why I'm curious. Having had experience only with geared tuners, I've have had that "top-heaviness" feel, especially when not using a uke leash or uke thong. Makes me think I will try friction tuners - especially given my preference for soprano and concert size.

Thanks for your reply

The tuner issue is subjective - whether you like or dislike friction tuners, peg tuners, geared tuners, or PegHeds is entirely up to you - but you'll never know unless/and until you try them.

I've got two instruments with mechanical friction tuners - a banjo uke from the 20s, and a Harmony from the 50s. Totally different tuners, although they operate in a similar fashion. I need to remove and clean those on the Banjo Uke because they are as tight as they can go, and still slip.

Four of my main players have open gear tuners - all of different quality, all work fine. One is soprano size, and I don't find the head overly heavy at all.

Two of the instruments have sealed gear tuners - both are tenor size, and both are great.

My other two main players have Pegheds. These are my favorite tuners. 4:1 ratio geared tuners, light as a feather, look like wooden pegs.

Again, it is very subjective, and Your Mileage May Vary. Just don't make up your mind until you've tried at least two different types, for comparison.

-Kurt​

I have both geared and friction tuners and the both have their advantages and disadvantages. I've not particularly noticed the weight on the head with geared tuners, even with closed ones.

Friction tuners do need a lighter touch to bring the strings into tune and as others have said, if they slip, don't be afraid to use a screwdriver to tighten them. I had to do that on the E string on one uke and it was just a slight adjustment that made all the difference. Too much and they become too stiff so if they are very stiff, you may need to ease them a little.

Hmm. I think I need to find a uke group nearby, and ask "May I try your friction-tunered uke, please?" That's the only way I'll find out for sure - unless I make a purchase.

Hmm. I think I need to find a uke group nearby, and ask "May I try your friction-tunered uke, please?" That's the only way I'll find out for sure - unless I make a purchase.

Going to a uke group is awesome. You get to play with others and get your dirty little paws on everyone else's ukes. I knew I would like friction tuners even before I tried them and when I got my first uke with them, I loved them. So much so that I replaced the geared tuners on my Kala pineapple with friction.

You might just want to buy some friction tuners and install them on one of your ukes. But make sure they don't have a plastic base- the Grover 3w's are okay, but the 4w's are much better. Ebay user taisamlu sells similar pegs. The hole should be 8mm, but if you take one of the geared tuners off, and the new pegs are a snug fit, then do all four. If it is not going through by a millimeter or so, don't force it because the wood can split if the hole is too small and has a peg that is too big. You can use sandpaper to open up the hole, but I would personally just leave it.

My Kala pineapple had a 8mm hole, and the 3w's fit like a dream. I ended up replacing them with taisamlu pegs in the end because they were nicer.

YMMV! and good luck!

I love friction tuners.

But beware cheap ones - they give them the bad name they seem to have.

http://www.gotaukulele.com/2012/03/dont-be-afraid-of-friction-tuners.html

Thanks! Actually, the uke that I'm thinking of getting with friction tuners is the Mainland Red Cedar soprano. For one thing, I think that one would look really weird with geared tuners. (I know it's not ALL about the looks, but still). :D
(And I know that Mainlands have a good reputation; and good tuners).

Thanks! Actually, the uke that I'm thinking of getting with friction tuners is the Mainland Red Cedar soprano. For one thing, I think that one would look really weird with geared tuners. (I know it's not ALL about the looks, but still). :D
(And I know that Mainlands have a good reputation; and good tuners).

The Mainland friction tuners are fine. I have two of their sopranos with friction tuners (mango and mahogany). When I switched to heavy strings I had to tighten the friction screw a bit but that's what it's there for! I haven't had any trouble with them holding tune even with the heavy strings. I wish my Mainland tenors and baritone had the friction tuners!

John

Top Bottom