WTB Black Bear Ukulele

justinlcecil

Reaction score
I'm really looking for a concert but I am open to any black bear models in all shapes and sizes. We can discuss money or possibly a trade for my kanile'a tenor with fishman pickup. If you want to send photos my way I will get them faster via my email. justinlcecil@gmail.com Thank you.

-Justin Cecil

Well, I don't have one for sale but I had to chime in. They sure are great ukes!
I just got my custom tenor from Duane last week........ cypress back and sides with a European spruce top, it's amazing!

His ukes really are fantastic. I know yours isn't for sale but I would love to see it/hear it. All of his ukes are a work of art.

I was going for the flamenco look and vibe but it doesn't really have that sound, at least to my ears. It is a great strummer and has a sweet and slightly dark sound overall (it still needs some time to open up). I'm sure your spruce/koa tenor is amazing!

Wow first time I hear of a cypress/spruce ukulele combination. Did you ask Duane for a kind of *flamenco* ukulele ? Does it sounds a bit like a flamenco guitar ?

I have the chance of being the owner of a Black Bear Spruce/Koa tenor that sounds fantastic. Sorry not selling it. Too busy playing it.

Interesting. I don't know if you've seen this video but you can try the tip explained (with the tape at 7:30) to reproduce the flamenco sound. See if it works for you.

My BB Spruce/Koa took 3 month of daily playing to open. I recorded it at 0, 3 monthes, 6 monthes of play. I coudn't hear any differences between the 3 months / 6 months recordings. Great sweet sound.

Last edited:
I should probably explain a little better, it can definitely make flamenco sounds when I play it that way it just doesn't have the quick snap or brightness I'm used to with a flamenco guitar. I really wasn't expecting it to be that way, I mainly just preferred the wood combo and the aesthetics.

Cool video by the way....

I think i can help. I have a sitka top, koa side & back Black Bear tenor the I am willing to part with (I am playing soprano's mostly). Let me gather some pictures and send them to you. It's a real daisy.

That sounds amazing but I think thats one of his more "high end ukes". One of my dream ukes, but I likely can't afford it. Feel free to send photos to my email though and we can discuss it. Thanks
-Justin Cecil

I think i can help. I have a sitka top, koa side & back Black Bear tenor the I am willing to part with (I am playing soprano's mostly). Let me gather some pictures and send them to you. It's a real daisy.

Hey bp. I sent you a PM

Top Bottom