Tiny mic to attach to uke?

xialuxi

Reaction score
Hi,
I have played acoustic ukulele for a while but am new to playing live with an amp. I just got a electric ukulele for that, but soon realized that this is not the sound I'm looking for, it sounds like an electric guitar and I think the charming, playful, distinct ukulele sound is almost completely lost.
Because of that I'm now looking for a tiny external mic to attach to my acoustic ukulele just like in this picture.
http://youaintnopicasso.com/images/Beirut110910.jpg

Do you know what these small mics are called? And what I should look for in a mic like that?

(Thank you so much for your help!! This forum is awesome, it s the first time I have posted something here, but I have been reading it for years. xxx)

Have a look at the Audio-Technica AT831b Cardioid Condenser Lavalier Microphone. It is often used to mic acoustic guitars and comes with a clip that slides onto the sound hole of the guitar. I am not sure how well it would work on a ukulele though, given the smaller dimensions of the instrument.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/4eefe86da4a8288f/index.html

oh thanks a lot for the quick reply, that looks like an awesome mic indeed, but I can't spend that much right now. My price league is more like below 50.
But maybe I can find that one second hand.

There is really no need to attach the mic to the ukulele if you want a pure acoustic sound. Just get a mic you can put in front of the uke. When we do open mics at our SEUkers meets we usually set up two mics - one for singing into and one for pointing at your uke sound hole if you dont want to use a pickup. I have been happy with the very inexpensive NADY SP-1 mic I bought from GC for less than $20, including a boom stand, 20 foot XLR cable and mic. Its not a Shure 58, but seems to work almost as well. Using the boom, I can position it anywhere I like. I run it into my mixer then to my amp or recording device. If they ever get anymore in stock, I am going to buy another set.

Last edited:
You could try a piezo or ceramic pickup and attach it with blu-tac or install a pickup.

Very highly rated Behringer mic (Nady not so much) for $21.99 at MF, GC, Musc123, etc. Don't overlook the amp.....only an acoustic amp will give you "that sound" you are looking for..which I assume is a true acoustic tone. Lots of stick on, clip on mics for ukes. LOts of cheap junk enes on ebay, stick with a brand name like Dean Markley. If your electric uke is passive, switch out for K&K twin spots...used on some high end classical guitars. $58 give or take.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...89202644&zmas=1&zmac=9&zmap=ArtistTrans&SID=0

Last edited:
xialuxi - since you already said in your original post that you did not like the sound a pickup is giving you, be careful if you choose one these stick-on "mics" people are recommending. Many of them are piezo pickups that attach to the soundboard, instead of under the bridge. They still sound like piezo pickups to some degree. I have a JJB PPS-100 installed in my tenor. This is the same technology as the K&K, and many other stick ons. It sounds more acoustical than an under-the-saddle, but still doesnt' sound like just a mic'd ukulele.

Last edited:
Top Bottom