And here it is - New Baritone Uke Day!

Ben_H

Reaction score
8am this morning my Pono MB arrived. Thanks Southeren Ukulele Store :D

A few pictures below. Had to take them in the shade of the garden as the sun was too bright and washing out the colour and detail. Please forgive the scruffy dog towel as background.

The grain is subtley beautiful, not an in your face stunner but just what I wanted. The sound is lush though too much like a guitar for my ears. I haven't seen the postman yet this morning to enquire if my living water strings have arrived though I know Ken was away last weekend so may not have processed the order yet.

One minor thing is that having got used to friction tuners on my Mainland and Moana Sopranos the geared tuners on these do seem to stick out a bit. It's not a returnable offense however ;)

Even my wife has said it's lovely which is the most interest she has shown in my 10 weeks of ukulele madness. Maybe a baritone is the key to getting her involved as she has a guitar background.

So, pictures:

P1030381.jpgP1030382.jpgP1030379.jpgP1030380.jpg

Wow...nice and clean looking bari uke...

Last edited:
It's got a slight scuff mark on the side of the finger board near the body. May have to see if it will polish off.

Congratulations! I love a clean, simple uke.

Congrats Ben. Don't worry about the slight scuff mark. Odds are that you will untentiononally add a few in your hopefully long time together.

Happy Uking

8am this morning my Pono MB arrived. Thanks Southeren Ukulele Store :D

A few pictures below. Had to take them in the shade of the garden as the sun was too bright and washing out the colour and detail. Please forgive the scruffy dog towel as background.

The grain is subtley beautiful, not an in your face stunner but just what I wanted. The sound is lush though too much like a guitar for my ears. I haven't seen the postman yet this morning to enquire if my living water strings have arrived though I know Ken was away last weekend so may not have processed the order yet.

One minor thing is that having got used to friction tuners on my Mainland and Moana Sopranos the geared tuners on these do seem to stick out a bit. It's not a returnable offense however ;)

Even my wife has said it's lovely which is the most interest she has shown in my 10 weeks of ukulele madness. Maybe a baritone is the key to getting her involved as she has a guitar background.

So, pictures:

View attachment 40695View attachment 40692View attachment 40693View attachment 40694

Beautiful bari.. You definitely need to get your wife one. The highlight of our day is almost every day around cocktail hour. We tune up our ukes and play and sing for 1 or 2 hours. After a little "Chord lube" our music starts to sound much better (to us anyway).

We've been married 57 years and I truly believe that music might keep us going for another 57.

Play more, smile more.

Very nice looking! I tried to get my fiancee interested in ukuleles or guitars. She took to the guitar a little more but in the end just didn't have enough interest in it to continue. Sometimes i think it is better if our sig. other stays out of our hobby. That way it is something that is truely our own. Let them keep whatever it does to themselves as well.

Beautiful ukulele. I own four Pono Baritones and they are exceptional instruments when you consider the workmanship and the value.

Don't forget that this ukulele has an adjustable truss rod. The hex or allen key for adjustment should have shipped with the ukulele. The Pono baritones and tenors stand out from the pack because of this feature and it's very nice for "fine-tuning" string height/action.

Enjoy!

Beautiful ukulele. I own four Pono Baritones and they are exceptional instruments when you consider the workmanship and the value.

Don't forget that this ukulele has an adjustable truss rod. The hex or allen key for adjustment should have shipped with the ukulele. The Pono baritones and tenors stand out from the pack because of this feature and it's very nice for "fine-tuning" string height/action.

Enjoy!

Living Water Strings posted today apparently so once they arrive and settle in I may brave playing with the truss rod.

I have finally put it back in it's pod case so that I can give my left hand a rest, have dinner and then get the sopranos out as have some friends coming round to practice later :) I'm sure it will be back out at some point during the evening.

Very nice, Ben. That exact ukulele is one on my list to get in the future. It has a great sound judging from the video that I've seen. Congratulations!

Please reconsider before adjusting the truss rod. You got this uke from HMS and it will be set up by one of the best set up guys in the business, someone who has adjusted hundreds of ukuleles. Truss rod adjustment may be needed at sometime in the future, but not likely immediately. Your hex wrench is in the case under the lid for the little storage compartment under the neck. I hope you will find it quite playable as it is. My guess is that the Living Water strings will fit in the nut with no need for any filing since you are replacing wound strings with re-entrant fluorocarbons.

Enjoy it! I am getting ready to play mine as soon as I press post reply.

Please reconsider before adjusting the truss rod. You got this uke from HMS and it will be set up by one of the best set up guys in the business, someone who has adjusted hundreds of ukuleles. Truss rod adjustment may be needed at sometime in the future, but not likely immediately. Your hex wrench is in the case under the lid for the little storage compartment under the neck. I hope you will find it quite playable as it is. My guess is that the Living Water strings will fit in the nut with no need for any filing since you are replacing wound strings with re-entrant fluorocarbons.

Enjoy it! I am getting ready to play mine as soon as I press post reply.

Actually it came from SUS in the UK but I'm happy with the action at the moment, it's the difference in fretting a baritone to the sopranos I'm used to that is the current cause of poor intonation ;)

Thanks for all the good wishes.

Ben

That's an awesome uke, no need for bling on that baby, it just oozes refinement and quality, when do we get a sound sample, I don't own a baritone yet but that one really grabbed me. how much did it cost ? if you don't mind me asking.

Very nice baritone! I do agree with the subtle aspect about, the wood is so beautiful! *jealous* :D

Top Bottom