PDA

View Full Version : Are baritones picking up in popularity?

Garydavkra
07-24-2012, 05:29 AM
I decided to jump into ukuleles just over a month ago. I did a lot of research but, it finally came down to what was available locally. I didn't want to buy anything that I couldn't play first. Well, there wasn't much choice so I ended up with a Fender Nohea tenor which I like.

So, I thought that it would be nice to also get a baritone uke. Again, I did as much reading and listening as I could. However, I couldn't find the baritones that I was most interested in locally. The only other option was to order through my favorite music store or over the internet.

The funny thing was that every baritone uke that I was interested in was out of stock! I was looking at Pono and Kala. So, I'm wondering if baritones are picking up in popularity? Are more guitar players going to a baritone now? Pono and Kala are popular brands so maybe that's the reason? I don't know.

Anyway, I finally started looking as lesser well known brands and I changed my thinking about what I wanted. The Pona and Kala that I wanted were much more expensive than what I finally ordered. I decided that I might try the baritone first to see if I like it and that spending less money would be the way to go. If I don't like it then I haven't lost much. If I do then the Pono and Kala and whatever else I come across will be back on my list.

I finally ordered a RipTide baritone from coolukes.com. I talked to Scott the owner who is a really nice guy and he spent quite a bit of time on the phone answering my questions. Wouldn't you know it, the uke that I wanted was out of stock! So, I ordered a spruce top model which I'm waiting to arrive. I'll post pictures and my impressions when it arrives...and after I play it.

Has anyone else had trouble finding a baritone?

NewKid
07-24-2012, 07:02 AM
I love jazz ukulele and Glen Rose has a great tutorial and book at jazzyukulele.com. He plays a baritone ukulele (a Riptide) with C6 tuning and a Low-G. For these kinds of songs, I decided to get a baritone and ordered one from Mya-Moe. However, I've played much less expensive Makala and Hilo baritones and they were very fun.

This baritone will complete my uke collection with all four sizes. I still like my soprano, mainly play my tenor, and travel with my concert. I don't know if the baritone is gaining in popularity but it definitely should because the size seems to give you a lot of options for tunings. You can tune it like a tenor ukulele or like a guitar.

Have fun with yours!

Ken Middleton
07-24-2012, 07:38 AM
The short answer is "yes", they are certainly becoming much more popular, but not in every country.

Garydavkra
07-24-2012, 07:59 AM
I love jazz ukulele and Glen Rose has a great tutorial and book at jazzyukulele.com. He plays a baritone ukulele (a Riptide) with C6 tuning and a Low-G. For these kinds of songs, I decided to get a baritone and ordered one from Mya-Moe. However, I've played much less expensive Makala and Hilo baritones and they were very fun.

This baritone will complete my uke collection with all four sizes. I still like my soprano, mainly play my tenor, and travel with my concert. I don't know if the baritone is gaining in popularity but it definitely should because the size seems to give you a lot of options for tunings. You can tune it like a tenor ukulele or like a guitar.

Have fun with yours!

Thanks NewKid and thanks for the Glen Rose website. I went over there to check it out. It looks like he is mainly talking about movable chords and staying away from the theory. I think that's a great way to approach it and keep it fun.

I'm looking forward to the RipTide and my decision was based on some of what Glen Rose had to say about them. I didn't mean to make it sound like it's a cheap low end Ukulele and it may end up being the only baritone I every buy.:D

The Big Kahuna
07-24-2012, 08:04 AM
I ended up with a Fender Nohea tenor which I like.

Nohea owners are taking over the world! I bought one in May as my first Uke, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Uke Republic
07-24-2012, 09:08 AM
It really seems like over the past year it has increased popularity. We do many with C tuning set up. A lot of good makers out there.

PhilUSAFRet
07-24-2012, 09:36 AM
Another thing that's increasing in popularity re: baritones is putting Southcoast linear strings on them! Nearly everyone reports an improvement in tone.

bazmaz
07-24-2012, 10:13 AM
Certainly more available than a few years ago, but whilst the range is bigger, the range of other sizes is MUCH bigger still. So yes, more popular I think, but in line with others. All part of the uke generally staying on a boom.

NewKid
07-24-2012, 12:52 PM
The short answer is "yes", they are certainly becoming much more popular, but not in every country.

Ken, I just saw your rendition of "You can call me Al" with the baritone and it was brilliant! It was the first time I heard you sing and you have a wonderful voice. More please!

Gwynedd
07-25-2012, 01:47 AM
Those Southcoast improve anything. I am becoming a huge fan. Dick sent me a selection, but the current strings (med) are so sweet, I don't want to restring and test the others yet. THey feel and sound great and you can switch up to different tones. I don't think I'll be using anything else. I have a tenor Mainland and a Kala baritone (grew up playing a bari because my dad bought me a new uke and to him, bigger was better....tuning be damned. But I loved it.) Now I love the high G tenor more, but either way, the SC strings are da bom.

Louis0815
07-25-2012, 02:26 AM
Ken, I just saw your rendition of "You can call me Al" with the baritone and it was brilliant! It was the first time I heard you sing and you have a wonderful voice. More please!Check out Ken's Youtube channel for more....

NatalieS
07-25-2012, 02:35 AM
I've dabbled in baritones before and I'm definitely interested in them again. They seem to be quite versatile. My interest lies in having a guitar-like sound without having to deal with six strings of an actual guitar. Others seem to enjoy keeping them GCEA and just getting a bigger sound than you'd get from the smaller sizes.

Ondrej
07-25-2012, 03:13 AM
I own a cheap baritone ukulele. I use standard tuning (d3g3h3e4). I am very satisfied with them.
Here sample http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0CuwrVjkZE

ukuhippo
07-25-2012, 04:13 AM
I love the sound of baritones, but it's just waaaay too big for me. I just sold my tenor and am selling the bari. Despite my large hands I prefer sopranos and I'm looking for a concert.

Garydavkra
07-25-2012, 04:59 AM
I've dabbled in baritones before and I'm definitely interested in them again. They seem to be quite versatile. My interest lies in having a guitar-like sound without having to deal with six strings of an actual guitar. Others seem to enjoy keeping them GCEA and just getting a bigger sound than you'd get from the smaller sizes.

Same here. I like the deeper, warmer sound and I like the fact that it has four strings instead of six. I like the sound of my tenor uke too. I wonder if the person that invented the six string instrument had a hard time with math? :wallbash: I realize that six strings provides more range but, at the same time sometimes less is more. I just seem to have an easier time playing ukulele than guitar and it's a whole lot easier on my fingers. I got my first uke about five weeks ago and I didn't have any callouses on my fingers. I was able to sit and play for two hours without any discomfort. On my steal string guitars, I'm lucky if I can go an hour and without callouses about ten minutes.

I like the ukulele. It is a good instrument with a good aura about it.

Blue Skies
07-25-2012, 05:14 AM
I've heard that baritones are indeed picking up steam. This Cordoba 20 BM I have is my first instrument, but I've learned loads already just being subscribed to this forum and cruising the internet and having two music teachers:D! Mine is tuned the guitar way of the DGBE and I just love the sound that comes out of it(until I hit a bad note that is:biglaugh:). At this point I am quite happy with mine and glad I made the decision. Welcome to the forum and above all, have fun!

Baskervils
07-25-2012, 05:23 PM
[QUOTE=Garydavkra;1001845
Has anyone else had trouble finding a baritone?[/QUOTE]

I ended up buying a Martin baritone ukulele last year, but it was through a series of fortunate events.

I purchased a cavaquinho, which is a bright sounding Brazilian ukulele with steel strings used in samba, choro and forró (my favorite genre).

I realized that a baritone ukulele could be tuned the same way. Now I like playing the Martin even more than the cavaquinho!

Tenzen
07-25-2012, 05:44 PM
I ended up buying a Martin baritone ukulele last year, but it was through a series of fortunate events.

I purchased a cavaquinho, which is a bright sounding Brazilian ukulele with steel strings used in samba, choro and forró (my favorite genre).

I realized that a baritone ukulele could be tuned the same way. Now I like playing the Martin even more than the cavaquinho!

whats the tuning like..

i think baritones are just way more versatile.. they accommodate alot more different kinds of strings and tunings..

i think as ukuleles grow in popularity, so will the demand for more flexibility and technical usage.. so i think baritones are the natural choice and wave of the future, internationally.. likely not in Hawaii, but in other countries where serious bands and musicians want to add the ukulele, i think the baritone is most always the preferred choice..

i think there's just so much toyish joking connotation surrounding the ukulele that nobody really takes it seriously.. the baritone is obviously something to be taken seriously, even by the jokers.. its just a beautiful instrument with a beautiful size, shape, and sound..

i think we can blame all those tourist-shop manufacturers of those super crappy ukuleles .. really. why would they even make those? what is the reason? i find it insulting bigotry.. they are placed around the room at little 'luau' parties on the mainland, they given to kids who cant do anything with them anyway, they are literally just useless pieces of crap which mock players of ukuleles, and mock the validity of the ukulele as an instrument..

whoever thought up those crappy ukuleles was probably himself a guy who saw the size of the ukulele and laughed out loud about its appearance, likely making fun of the little silly natives who wielded it ..

its a shame.. i think they should be taken off the market..

but anyway, i myself would like to pick up a baritone uke, but i think i'd prefer to play it in GCEA

the sound is deeper, the chambers much more full sounding, if made well, and its a nice-looking instrument people unfamiliar with ukuleles arent just going to laugh at when u take it out.

i cant tell u how many times i've taken out my uke only to have some retard grab it out of my hands and start dancing around with it with a goofy 'look im a silly hula girl' look on his face, like it was some sort of children's toy i brought as a joke.. and i play a tenor Acacia Kala!

i think people generally respect the baritone as a real instrument, which keeps it safer.

and its way smaller and more compact than a guitar.. i think its definitely set to become the instrument of the future around the world, by guitarists who want more portability and ukers who want more depth, size, and volume..

coolkayaker1
07-25-2012, 07:09 PM
i think there's just so much toyish joking connotation surrounding the ukulele that nobody really takes it seriously.. the baritone is obviously something to be taken seriously, even by the jokers..
As you point out, the baritone needs to be taken seriously. One whack aside the head with a baritone, and anyone would understand that it's not a toy.

Perhaps I was intended for the big size and the simplicity of a baritone over a guitar; as a child, I became proficient at the upside-down washtub, broomstick and clothesline bass.

I ordered my first baritone ukulele just now. Tonight, about twenty minutes ago. I will try it first in a familiar re-entrant tuning, and go from there. Time will tell.

And my compadre, ukuhippo, I will post if its "waists" match. You and I know they won't.

Tenzen
07-25-2012, 07:13 PM
heh.. cool..

let us know how u like it.. my Uncle plays one, i really liked it alot, i just was too lazy to learn all the chords again.. i still kind of am.. what tuning will u play it in?

coolkayaker1
07-25-2012, 07:35 PM
but anyway, i myself would like to pick up a baritone uke, but i think i'd prefer to play it in GCEA

I'm with you 100%, Tenzen...I'm going familiar GCEA. Having the custom luthier put them on before shipping, in fact. GCEA nylons.

Having a ginormous ukulele wedged under my armpit is enough change at one time...throwing out all the chords that I learned over the past year on top of it? I'd have a keniption. lol

kauaijim
07-25-2012, 09:54 PM
Baritones with Southcoast heavies (or Living Water for our colleagues in Great Britian). Re-entrant tuning, ukulele sounding in a deeper voice. SC strings are the best I have tried on each of my ukes, but I like them particularly on the baritone. Didn't see a lot of baritones at the Oahu ukulele festival last weekend...lots of traditionalists out here, but the posts on this site seem more frequent.

Ken Middleton
07-25-2012, 10:08 PM
Baritones with Southcoast heavies (or Living Water for our colleagues in Great Britian) ...

Interestingly, nearly all my customers for Living Water Strings are from the US.

G Hill
07-25-2012, 10:20 PM
I don't get the problems people have with the different chord names (GCEA v's DGBE). the chord shapes are the same, but the names are up a 5th!
I still think GCEA when I play, but if I play with other instrumentalists or backing trax I just have to remember that everythin is up a 5th!!
C chord GCEA sounds G on DGBE, Bb chord GCEA sounds F DGBE.

For those of you that understand Diatonic Harmonica (blues harp) its the same as playing in 2nd position (cross harp)
IE; Harp key C Song key G, Harp key D song key A etc. (hope the analogy helps a little).
So, Whats the problem? its simple!! ;)

Cheers
Gary

Cheers
Gary

coolkayaker1
07-26-2012, 03:17 AM
G, let me see if I get you...if was playing alone, no group so no one to "match", you're saying I could finger the same chords on a DGBE ukulele and it'll be fine...I can still play Drop Baby Drop just like I always did? lol

Ken, your videos are amazing. Every time I search for a youtube video on a subject--in this case, baritone ukulele--there's another calm, knowledgeable and educational video from you on the subject. I watched all of your baritone uke videos (in the garden, review of Ohana 35, etc.) and they helped immensely. Thank you for that. Maybe I shouold try some FC baritone Living Waters... I assume you sell GCEA and DGBE, both? Are they available from US retailer yet? Thanks.

Baskervils
07-26-2012, 03:56 AM
whats the tuning like..

I tune DGBD, like a cavaquinho. I haven't really messed with other tunings. I started to learn sets of chords and haven't experimented with anything else.

luluwrites
07-26-2012, 03:59 AM
G, let me see if I get you...if was playing alone, no group so no one to "match", you're saying I could finger the same chords on a DGBE ukulele and it'll be fine...I can still play Drop Baby Drop just like I always did? lol

That's exactly right.

ichadwick
07-26-2012, 04:09 AM
Baritone ukes seem to be undergoing their own renaissance. I picked one up on a whim two years ago, and became a fan right away - it was a Pono mahogany tuned high-D. I love it still. I play my tenors, too, but it's nice to have a uke tuned in a lower pitch to suit my limited vocal range. Plus, I love the richer sound and bigger volume. I have three baris now - all mahogany - an old Lyra strung low-G and a Beansprout custom made from old mahogany, with a pickup added. I really want another wood though - red cedar or spruce.

I came from playing guitar for 40+ years, so to me the baritone is still very small. I've actually looked at buying a tenor guitar to extend that experience to steel strings.

However, they don't seem to be taking off as quickly here in Canada as they are n the USA. A few months ago, I called several music stores in Ontario to find out what they had in stock. I was willing to drive three-four hours to look and buy.

The store I expected would have the best stock - Broadway Music in Orangeville - had none, and said baritones weren't popular. Some of the stores in Barrie, Collingwood, Orillia and Newmarket had Mahalo baritones, but I wanted something better. The Twelfth Fret in Toronto had a single Kala spruce top, but nothing with a pickup. One Toronto store said they believed they had a Fender coming in soon, but it was the laminated version and I wanted solid top. My planned road trip to the province's music stores ended up to be a fruitless day spent on the phone calling stores further and further away.

I see all sorts of baritones on sale on eBay, so I suppose I may have to get one there.

Ken Middleton
07-26-2012, 04:11 AM
... Maybe I shouold try some FC baritone Living Waters... I assume you sell GCEA and DGBE, both? Are they available from US retailer yet? Thanks.

Thanks for the kind words.

I sell GCEA (low G) and gCEA (high G). I only sell dGBE (high D) re-entrant baritone at the moment. Check my site for other sets.

Although I have several friends who own stores in the US, I have no plans at present to sell though any US outlets. What is the point? I can ship to anywhere on the planet from home. 10 sets of strings to Antarctica or Barrow in Alaska will only cost £2.50 shipping. Other parts of the solar system may cost a little more.

ukulelecowboy
07-26-2012, 04:54 AM
You folks need to catch up! ;)

For the most part, I play baritones only. Tuned GCEA. All loaded with Dirk Wormhoudt's Southcoast Linears. When we perform, my wife plays a Pono Macassar Ebony/Spruce top Tenor and I will, on occasion, play my Compass Rose Sycamore Tenor (loaded with Southcoast Linears.) I have big hands and it took me a few years to understand that it was necessary to settle in on a scale that worked best for me. We gig a lot. At least 6 - 8 times a month and besides my wife's vocal stylizations and percussion, my ukulele is the only other instrument. It was important for me to realize what worked and what didn't work. Our songbook is made up of Jazz and Swing standards and the arrangements are built around mostly closed chords. The baritone scale really allowed me to move around the fretboard comfortably without a big mash up of fingers! I can get close with a tenor but it's still a bit tight.

The baritone is really a remarkable scale. Capable of handling numerous tunings and string formulations, it versatility is, in many ways, limitless. Over the past several years, our collection has grown and it's fun to sit down and play a model that you haven't in a while.

Here's the list in The Ukulele Cowboy Society's collection:

'12 Custom Baritone Build (in process, expected delivery Fall 2012 (fingers crossed!)
'12 Ko'olau CE-1 Baritone
'11 Pono Acacia Deluxe Baritone
'09 Pono Mahogany Deluxe Baritone
'08 Pono Macassar Ebony and Cedar top Baritone
'64 Guild BU-1 Baritone
'64 Favilla B2 Baritone
'72 Yasuma Model 51 Baritone
'75 C.F. Mountain Model 51 Baritone
'53 Vega Arthur Godfrey Solo Lute
'52 Vega Arthur Godfrey Baritone (deluxe)
'55 Harmony Model 695 Baritone
'65 Harmony Model 695 Baritone
'65 Airline Baritone
'59 Biltmore Short Scale Baritone
'71 Bobby Henshaw Baritone
'55 Kent Carmencita Baritone
'55 Kustom Kraft Baritone
'68 Lyra Baritone
'70 Giannini Baritone
'66 Aria Model 1255 Baritone
'10 Eleuke Mahogany Baritone
'72 Regal Spruce top Baritone
'68 Silvertone Baritone
'09 Kala KA-B Mahogany Baritone
'11 Cordoba Cuatro (as Baritone)
'09 Jupiter Creek Telecaster Steel String Baritone (for sale)
'09 Oscar Schmidt OU55CE Koa Baritone
'70 Maccaferri Islander Plastic Baritone

ichadwick
07-26-2012, 05:04 AM
My Bean Sprout bari came strung with a GCEA strings, but I found them very stiff, very unresponsive, unwilling to bend and hard on my fingers. After two days, i replaced them with standard DGBE.
Seems to me the extra tension of the C tuning might be a challenge for some instruments.
PS. I see you also have a Lyra baritone.

Baskervils
07-26-2012, 05:22 AM
My Bean Sprout bari came strung with a GCEA strings, but I found them very stiff, very unresponsive, unwilling to bend and hard on my fingers. After two days, i replaced them with standard DGBE.
Seems to me the extra tension of the C tuning might be a challenge for some instruments.

For those of you tuning to DGBD, this book is excellent:

Tenzen
07-26-2012, 05:32 AM

so its an open G tuning?

that sounds pretty interesting..

but, like the taro patch tuning on slack Key guitar, the problem i have is playing any chords, or even making any chord formations, or even finding information about how to form any chords in an open G tuning

so does that book have like every single chord chart for the DGBD tuning??

ukulelecowboy
07-26-2012, 05:38 AM

Hey Ian,

First, I want to commend you on the work that you've put into the vintage sheet music clearinghouse. Remarkable and valuable work.

Second, what is the scale length of the Bean Sprout bari? I use the Southcoast Linears on my Pono Bari which is 21". That's pretty much tops them out. I loaded them on my Pono Maccassar/Cedartop Bari which is 21 1/2" scale. It was too much. The string tension was too high and playing was difficult. I find the "sweet spot" is 19" - 21" scale length.

I have them on my Ko'olau CE-1 Baritone which has a 19 3/8" scale length. The results are glorious...

Mike

Garydavkra
07-26-2012, 05:45 AM
No wonder it's hard to find baritones, YOU'VE GOT THEM ALL!!!:drool: Sorry, I'm responding to the post by ukulelecowboy and his list of baritones.

ichadwick
07-26-2012, 05:54 AM

They also make two versions for the uke: regular (C tuning) and baritone (G tuning). I have both: excellent books.

ichadwick
07-26-2012, 06:08 AM
Hey Ian,

First, I want to commend you on the work that you've put into the vintage sheet music clearinghouse. Remarkable and valuable work.

Second, what is the scale length of the Bean Sprout bari? I use the Southcoast Linears on my Pono Bari which is 21". That's pretty much tops them out. I loaded them on my Pono Maccassar/Cedartop Bari which is 21 1/2" scale. It was too much. The string tension was too high and playing was difficult. I find the "sweet spot" is 19" - 21" scale length.

I have them on my Ko'olau CE-1 Baritone which has a 19 3/8" scale length. The results are glorious...

Mike

Thanks for the kind words. My Pono is almost 22" but the Beansprout is 19. Interesting that the Pono is so much longer, almost tenor guitar scale. Lyra and my Gold Tone bari/Banjo uke are packed during the reno, so I can't get at either right now to measure. However, I seem to recall measuring them at 19".

I will look at the Southcoast sets, but I do prefer DGBE - I have several tenors for the C tuning.

Garydavkra
07-26-2012, 06:17 AM
After reading all of these responses, I'm looking forward to receiving my baritone. I play guitar also so, going to the baritone really isn't a problem. In fact, if I really like it and I think I will, I'll probably just sell my guitars. I have one up for sell right now at my favorite music shop. After selling the guitar (positive attitude) I'll probably just turn around and have them order another baritone that is on my original list...maybe...okay probably...

Garydavkra
07-26-2012, 06:23 AM
I've heard that baritones are indeed picking up steam. This Cordoba 20 BM I have is my first instrument, but I've learned loads already just being subscribed to this forum and cruising the internet and having two music teachers:D! Mine is tuned the guitar way of the DGBE and I just love the sound that comes out of it(until I hit a bad note that is:biglaugh:). At this point I am quite happy with mine and glad I made the decision. Welcome to the forum and above all, have fun!

Thanks Blue Skies, mine will be tune to DGBE also.

kissing
07-26-2012, 07:01 AM
UAS has struck me... just splurged on a Kamaka Baritone with Mi-Si installed from Hawaii Music Supply.

I nearly got a heart attack as I clicked the Buy button xD

scothut
07-26-2012, 09:17 AM
I know we're getting more and more requests for Baritone's.

coolkayaker1
07-26-2012, 09:36 AM
UAS has struck me... just splurged on a Kamaka Baritone with Mi-Si installed from Hawaii Music Supply.

Great, kissing. That should be sweet. Mine's a Pohaku, but even with all the good advice below, I don't understand a lick of what they are talking about (one person tells me that I can finger/chord the same as I do now on a conventional baritone scale, and the next poster is hawking a book with cuaqinto chords to use with a bari...lol). I guess I'll just noodle around with it and see what comes of it (trying hard not to snap off the neck when I tune it like my soprano).

PS I looked at Dirk's Southcoast linears once I discovered Living Waters are not sold in USA and my wallet has no British pounds in it, last I looked, and they are 30 inches long. Well, the bari is 30 inches long. So, that ain;t gonna work (or not leave much to swirl around the pegs, anyhow).

Jees, this is difficult.

PS Oh, the bari scale is 19 inches. So, maybe I could get some Southies for it.

G Hill
07-26-2012, 10:14 AM
[QUOTE=coolkayaker1;1003747]Great, kissing. That should be sweet. Mine's a Pohaku, but even with all the good advice below, I don't understand a lick of what they are talking about (one person tells me that I can finger/chord the same as I do now on a conventional baritone scale,

That's exactly what I am saying, Good init!!
Im using Saverez clasical guitar strings on mine, all fluro except the D string which is wound. They have a nice tension and you can buy
just the 4 strings you need, so pricing is reasonable.
Choices, choices, choices!!!!! Good init!! LOL :drool:
Cheers
Gary

Baskervils
07-26-2012, 10:37 AM

Wow! That's stunning. Those look beautiful. You'll hypnotize the spirits with that spell caster. Congratulations.

Garydavkra
07-26-2012, 10:54 AM
I know we're getting more and more requests for Baritone's.

Yes and I'm one of them. Thanks for the tracking number Scott. My baritone should be here on Monday and I'll be sure to do a review of the new RipTide.

coolkayaker1
07-26-2012, 12:01 PM
[QUOTE=coolkayaker1;1003747]Great, kissing. That should be sweet. Mine's a Pohaku, but even with all the good advice below, I don't understand a lick of what they are talking about (one person tells me that I can finger/chord the same as I do now on a conventional baritone scale,

That's exactly what I am saying, Good init!!
Im using Saverez clasical guitar strings on mine, all fluro except the D string which is wound. They have a nice tension and you can buy
just the 4 strings you need, so pricing is reasonable.
Choices, choices, choices!!!!! Good init!! LOL :drool:
Cheers
Gary

Okay, okay, G. I get it...lol I'll try it out when it gets here...thanks, man. :D

OldePhart
07-26-2012, 12:10 PM
...PS I looked at Dirk's Southcoast linears once I discovered Living Waters are not sold in USA and my wallet has no British pounds in it, last I looked, and they are 30 inches long. Well, the bari is 30 inches long. So, that ain;t gonna work (or not leave much to swirl around the pegs, anyhow).

Jees, this is difficult.

PS Oh, the bari scale is 19 inches. So, maybe I could get some Southies for it.

Ooops, almost responded about the scale length before I saw your last line. :) BTW, I saw your comment on my YouTube page on the Mainland baritone video. I've changed tunings on it...I just posted a new thread about that here.

Based on the fooling around I've done I think probably the lowest practical reentrant baritone tuning without wound strings is probably G or F (DGBE or CFAD) and the lowest linear tuning probably F. Of course, some bari's have scales over 20 inches so you might get a little lower with those.

There is also heavier leader available than the 130lb .041 inch stuff but even the .041 seems to be pushing right up against that point where tone begins suffering when a solid string gets too thick (I suspect that's why Worth uses the .0358 even though it's really inadequate for low-G). Anyway, I personally probably won't go any thicker than the .041.

John

Raygf
07-26-2012, 12:12 PM
I bought two last summer and two this summer. The Model B mahogany Loprinzi arrived yesterday strung with Southcoast linears. What a marvelous instrument! I'll give the GCEA tuning a few more days, but I know I will switch to a set of Martin 630s (my current favorite strings for DGBE) before too long. I definitely prefer DGBE on baritone. One of mine is strung with a Southcoast flat wound set tuned F-Bb-D-G and I really like them too. Nice to have a variety of tunings to suit singing range without transposing. I'm also trying out a set of reentrant dGBE Southcoast strings and have to say I do not like reentrant on the baritone, yet. I'm willing to give it some time. Ken Middleton makes wonderful music with dGBE tuning and I wanted to give it a try.

OldePhart
07-26-2012, 12:12 PM

Ooooo---schweeet!

OldePhart
07-26-2012, 12:15 PM
I know I'm getting more and more interested. I've been playing around with different tunings on mine and I'm kind of at the point I wish I had two - one to keep tuned an octave down re-entrant C (octave uke) for accompanying other ukes and one tuned in C or Bb in the normal uke octave. Sigh.

BTW, who makes a nice solid-wood mahogany baritone with a cutaway? I know Ohana has the BK-20CE and, since it has a solid top, I'm tempted. But, what other choices are out there?

John

coolkayaker1
07-26-2012, 12:42 PM
Thanks for your reply, John. I will check back to your reply here when I change the tuning on my baritone, which--based on this thread--seems to be all the rage.

Mya Moe, if I'm not mistaken, can make you a custom baritone with cutaway, all solid of your choice.

They start at $1500 and then you ad $250 for the cutaway, though. You'd better really want a bari to get that one...lol
http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/optionsPricing.html

jackwhale
07-26-2012, 01:04 PM
I like baritones....a lot. The scale length is 20 1/4" compared to 17" for a tenor. My advice is to start with standard baritone tuning, just to become acquainted with what the instrument was intended to sound like. Regular C tuning finger shapes will work--the name of the chord will simply be a fifth lower. (i.e. F chord finger shape on a C tuned uke actually sounds like a C chord when played on a baritone)

OldePhart
07-26-2012, 01:09 PM
Mya Moe, if I'm not mistaken, can make you a custom baritone with cutaway, all solid of your choice.
They start at $1500 and then you ad $250 for the cutaway, though. You'd better really want a bari to get that one...lol
http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/optionsPricing.html

Yeah...some day, though. Seriously, I've been thinking about selling some of my guitars to come up with money for a Mya Moe concert...but maybe a cutaway baritone would be a better choice.

John

coolkayaker1
07-26-2012, 02:18 PM
Yeah...some day, though. Seriously, I've been thinking about selling some of my guitars to come up with money for a Mya Moe concert...but maybe a cutaway baritone would be a better choice.

John

Your singing voice is deep like Johnny Cash, John. It'd do well with a quality baritone.

Thanks, jackwhale. I'll try it.

coolkayaker1
07-26-2012, 03:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0xnNs56GsI

John, check out 5:14 min in this video. Cutaway baritone@!

OldePhart
07-26-2012, 04:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0xnNs56GsI

John, check out 5:14 min in this video. Cutaway baritone@!

THat's a nice axe but I've found I'm not crazy about cedar and spruce tops on ukes. I'm really looking for a mahogany in a baritone, I think. Might be worth my time to see if Pono has that model in mahogany, though.

John

coolkayaker1
07-26-2012, 04:18 PM
http://www.theukulelesite.com/pono-mb.html

Cutaway...no. Price...fab.

OldePhart
07-26-2012, 04:21 PM
http://www.theukulelesite.com/pono-mb.html

Cutaway...no. Price...fab.

Wow! Pretty deep discount! That is a good price. If I wasn't dead set on a cutaway I'd have whipped out the plastic on the spot!

John

Nickie
07-26-2012, 05:55 PM
Not so much around here. Out of about two dozen ukers I know, only three play baris...

Baskervils
07-26-2012, 06:02 PM
One downside to digging funky ukes is the inability to try out multiple brands. It would be neat to try out 10 different bari ukes in one shot, but it's just never possible (outside of Hawaii). I have tried an old Kamaka, which I liked, but the Martin is like a magic wand. I'd be curious to see how 5 or 6 luthier ukes compare. I have a tenor guitar made by Earnest that is wonderful.

coolkayaker1
07-26-2012, 06:45 PM
It's weird. I just looked up some youtube videos on ukulele legends (not searching baritones at all), such as Kimo Hussey, and others (Benny Chong, etc.) and they play tons of baritones on the videos. Mostly baritones.

So, I guess it's like Baskervils mentions---it must be what traditional Hawaiians play. I heard they don't much play sopranos-- those are for the haole tourists and Arthur Godfrey fans, I guess. lol

mattydee
07-27-2012, 05:38 AM
I bought two last summer and two this summer. The Model B mahogany Loprinzi arrived yesterday strung with Southcoast linears. What a marvelous instrument! I'll give the GCEA tuning a few more days, but I know I will switch to a set of Martin 630s (my current favorite strings for DGBE) before too long. I definitely prefer DGBE on baritone. One of mine is strung with a Southcoast flat wound set tuned F-Bb-D-G and I really like them too. Nice to have a variety of tunings to suit singing range without transposing. I'm also trying out a set of reentrant dGBE Southcoast strings and have to say I do not like reentrant on the baritone, yet. I'm willing to give it some time. Ken Middleton makes wonderful music with dGBE tuning and I wanted to give it a try.

I've got my Mainland Cedar Bari tuned with a high D and love it. I found the low d a little too guitar-like, though, like you, I am now thinking about another Bari to have multiple tunings. But I've promised myself the next uke will be a custom, so this one will have to wait until there's a bit more cash on hand. I love the idea of a mya-moe cutaway bari - as I do a lot of playing on my bari up the neck; i love the versatility of the instrument. Oh UAS, you cruel, cruel mistress.

Raygf
07-27-2012, 07:40 AM
I've got my Mainland Cedar Bari tuned with a high D and love it. I found the low d a little too guitar-like, though, like you, I am now thinking about another Bari to have multiple tunings. But I've promised myself the next uke will be a custom, so this one will have to wait until there's a bit more cash on hand. I love the idea of a mya-moe cutaway bari - as I do a lot of playing on my bari up the neck; i love the versatility of the instrument. Oh UAS, you cruel, cruel mistress.

Come on now, never make promises you can't keep, especially when buying ukuleles is involved. I will be selling one of three of my other baritones at a good price. I just have to get them all back, two from pickup installs and one from a nut and saddle replacement, to make a decision as to which one. The mya-moe baritone is out of the question for me. I will get a solid myrtle, concert Tradition model some time in the next year or so. The Loprinzi baritone tops my list for baritones. Did you see the Brazilian rosewood, bear claw Sitka spruce top (http://youtu.be/wZQ3K-gHVUs) mya-moe just completed? My goodness! What a beauty and great sound. $2450! The Brazilian rosewood adds $500.

Garydavkra
07-27-2012, 07:54 AM
Not so much around here. Out of about two dozen ukers I know, only three play baris...

I joined a ukulele group and attended a Lil Rev ukulele concert. It was held at the house of one of the members. Lil Rev asked if anyone played a baritone and one woman raised her hand. There were about 20 to 25 of us in the room.

coolkayaker1
07-27-2012, 12:22 PM
I joined a ukulele group and attended a Lil Rev ukulele concert. It was held at the house of one of the members. Lil Rev asked if anyone played a baritone and one woman raised her hand. There were about 20 to 25 of us in the room.

Are you sure it was a woman?

Garydavkra
07-29-2012, 01:50 PM
Are you sure it was a woman?

Yes, I'm sure it was a women. A tall woman. Most of the ukuleles that I saw were soprano and concert size and Luna seemed to be pretty popular.

ukulelecowboy
07-29-2012, 03:30 PM
Lil' Rev plays a Graziano Baritone.

It's the one pictured on the cover of this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Leonard-Baritone-Ukulele-Method-Book/dp/1458404870/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1343611707&sr=1-7http://

mds725
07-29-2012, 06:29 PM
I heard they don't much play sopranos-- those are for the haole tourists and Arthur Godfrey fans, I guess. lol

Actually, Arthur Godfrey played a baritone ukulele and was, I believe, instrumental (pardon the pun) in its development.

Baskervils
07-30-2012, 07:48 AM
Once you get into the baritone uke, the next step is tenor guitars. I have a Gibson 60s tenor which is OK. Maybe one day I will get a nice old Martin parlor tenor. The 5-15T is a beauty. Joel at Earnest also builds wonderful ukuleles, acoustic and electric tenors. http://www.earnestinstruments.com/

Martin 5-15T

drbekken
08-01-2012, 10:10 PM
Baritone ukuleles are wonderful instruments. The funny thing is that the low end baritones are often way better than for instance low end sopranos. I have a Rogue and a Savannah, which are as cheap as they come, and they sound pretty good with the DGBE tuning. I also have a cheap Richwood, which is a really good mahogany laminate thing. Make no mistake: A baritone is NOT just a tiny four-string guitar. It's an instrument in its own right, with limitless possibility of individual expression.

ukuhippo
08-01-2012, 10:26 PM
As no-one seems to be interested in buying mine I decided to order some southcoast strings with a high D. I didn't like the other tunings. It's still for sale btw.