Strum pattern for Sweet Home Alabama

That is a great video, ain't it! I think what is confusing you is there is rhythmic stuff going on with both the left and right hands. As she's strumming with the right she's also muting with the left by momentarily lifting her fingers and putting them back down. I don't know that there is really a way to "diagram" that in a way that would be meaningful.

It's sort of, if you feel the song you will play it, if you don't feel it then all the scratchins on paper aren't going to help. I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, it's just that music is that way sometimes.

Concentrate less on watching her and more on what you're hearing. You'll figure it out eventually and when you do you'll never need a piece of paper to play it!

Oh...and I just noticed it's your first post - welcome to the UU!

John

Basically, it's down down, up down up, down down, up down up, down down, up down up, down down etc...

I'm good for about 10000 of the views on that video, and every other video Hayley posted on youtube, and I never even noticed she was playing an instrument.

DD DUD is spot on, the confusing thing is that the rhythm is more like DUD DD but this will fall into place when you get the strumming. I play it this way (although not nearly as proficiently) and really enjoy it.

Keep perservering...

Top Bottom