Questions from an uke starter

penpen007

Reaction score
Hi, I am a ukulele beginner with 5 years of piano experience. I just bought a Makala concert ukulele. My questions are:

1.The seller informed me that she sells a beginner guide book too. With the vast free online guides/tutorials out there on the internet, I am not sure if it is necessary to buy a guide book. I have noticed some great info for starters on this forum too. So, what do you guys think?

2.The purchase did not come with a bag, and I will be carrying the concert ukulele into an airport soon( I won't be traveling a lot, just this one time). I know that for a guitar, airport staff require you to at least have a gig bag, or even a hard case. Is the same thing required for ukulele, or can I just put it in my backpack as a carry-on instead of a formal gig bag? Anyone with travel experience please help me out with this as I am more concerned about this question, rather. I'll greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to UU. Glad you joined us. As far as the bag, I would thing that the box the Uke comes in would be ok for carry on. I wouldn't trust a gig bag for checked luggage. Call your airline. (I've personally never tried to carry on a Uke) If you can wait until you get home for the gig bag then get a book that you can look over either locally or on line.

Just my thought. Hope it all works out. Keep us posted

Lots of good stuff free online. Ukulele for Dummies might be worth checking out at your local book store, covers a lot more than just a few basics. Advanced stuff right here on UU. Beginners stuff...Uncle Rod's Ukulele Boot Camp. Good luck.

Welcome to UU! :)

1) She wants to sell you something extra to increase her profit. If you don't want it, just decline. The Dummies book is awesome, and I'd really recommend it.

2) If your uke will fit in your backpack that's allowed as carryon, you should be golden.

thank you guys so much for the reply. I really appreciate it.

Top Bottom