Looking for a Tenor with a pickup!

CousinDerek

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,
I'm in the market for a tenor uke with a pickup. Preferably under $300, let me know if anyone has anything for me!

Under $200 is tough, but many of us who have these Cordoba feel they are a great value, especially since you can find used ones closer to $100 than $200. I found one with a case for $125, ebay for $115 to 125. Solid mahogany top. Not necessaily the prettiest tenor out there, but sounds great plugged or unplugged. Could use a bone nut and saddle installed and Aquilas are too bright for them, but they just sound good. I have low g Hilo's on it and there are probably several different strings that would sound even better. I was looking for a nice Kala Solid Mahogany with a pickup, but couldn't find one...a super buy for the money. If you are happy with all laminate, Kala has an exotic mahogany tenor wth a pickup that sounds very nice and looks gorgeous. Heard and seen them. priced around mid-$100's or less. If you want to go all the way up to that high price....and are patient, can get a super used uke that's out of your price range new~

http://www.theukulelesite.com/cordoba-20tm-ce-solid-top-tenor-electric.html

http://www.theukulelesite.com/kala-ka-teme-exotic-mahogany-tenor-electric-457.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the response Phil! That Kala does look beautiful. Do you have any suggestions for small amps that sound good plugged in?

My advice would be to buy the acoustic uke that you want. You then have a very wide choice. Fit a pickup or pickup system afterwards. My choice would be to fit a simple passive pickup and later buy an external pre-amp (GigPro for instance).

I agree, find your tenor first , then add a passive pickup. You can do it yourself if your handy with a drill. Ebay has a seller offering K&K Twin Spot pickups for $57.50 delivered.
Its pretty good even without an external pre-amp, which you can add later if you want more punch.
Bob Myers

I just saw Placido Domingo driving a Ford Ranger, will that do?

I was just playing the Kala Exotic Mahogany in a music store. It's a very nice uke. I'm thinking of getting one of those rather than adding a pickup to one of my ukes. I don't want to drill holes in a good uke, and I don't want to put a pickup in a laminate uke where the pickup costs more than the uke. The Kala exotic Mahogany is a very nice inexpensive uke and the electronics are better than just about anything I would install. It's not much more than the cost of a good pickup.

I just saw Placido Domingo driving a Ford Ranger, will that do?

ISEE.gif

Top Bottom