To open or not open! Carnival Uke in original box

gaspar

Reaction score
I recently bought a Carnival Sopranino uke from the 50´s/60´s
I was planning to play it but it is in his original packaging. :confused:
What do you say? Should I open the box?

107wd4h.jpg

Well, I suppose that depends on what you want it for.

If it's just for fun and games, then yes, tear that package open and have at it -- though I would be willing to wager that it will sound worse than a paper towel roll taped to a kleenex box strung with rubber bands.

Seriously, I doubt this will be worth more than the few moments of novelty of opening and playing it. It makes a fantastic decoration, addition to a collection, or (perhaps) possible investment, but as something on which to actually play music? Doubtful.

If you're not going to sell it, I say go for it!

Things are meant to be enjoyed not just looked at!...

I've got one of them and it's not a great player. But if I had one still in the wrapping, I'd still break it out to play. What else is a uke for? :)

No, don't open it. It will only appreciate in value. Here's a link to my YouTube channel where I do a little noodling on a Carnival supronino:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK1VoM1OfU0

Dude, you are without doubt the second coolest person on the planet.

I'm planning on living for at least another 50 years, so I'm afraid you're going to have to wait for the top spot.

Oh, gosh, I had that very one when I was a kid, with the cowboy on it! I can still smell the plastic... thanks for a blast from the past!

If you DO open it, note that w/these, the strings are just looped at the bottom, so if you "tune" the 1st string, the 2nd is "tuned" at the same time! :)

A set of Aurora colored strings might be cool on one of these. I have a couple of similar ones from the same era which are wall hangers right now.

Dude, you are without doubt the second coolest person on the planet.

I'm planning on living for at least another 50 years, so I'm afraid you're going to have to wait for the top spot.

Me Too ! I really enjoy your videos and your uke playing is tops. Thanks. Oh ,ya ,.........almost forgot " Open the package and play it " .

Last edited:
jajajaj

thank you so much for all your comments!
I have decided not to open the box. I got four Maccaferri sopraninos so this carnival is going to be a nice wallhanger for now :)

Top Bottom