Kiwaya Eco-Series Models Vs. Keli'i Soprano Silver Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

ifedora

Reaction score
I know. These questions get asked all the time, but really... they are all specific to the player. So I've got just two ukuleles I'm considering buying. I will be ordering them online. I've heard them both played but no local shops have the specific brands available. I'm counting on someone here who has played both of these models to answer the question. The two models being considered are:
Kiwaya Eco Series (any model, these are all ultra-thin laminates)
vs. Keli'i - Soprano Silver Series Mahogany
The fact that one is solid wood and the other laminate is irrelevant. The fact that one is slightly higher than the other is irrelevant. The fact that one is Japanese and the other Hawaiin is irrelevant. I don't even care about the sound. They both sound good for my tastes. The only thing i care about is the playability. So if anyone out there has played both of these and cares to comment (only on playability) I'm listening.

I don't know what site your buying the uke's from but, if it isn't a reputable site like Hawaii Music Supply (aka The Ukulele Site) which includes a Set Up on all their ukulele's, the ukulele you buy will not be very playable (hard to fret and possible intonation problems) until a set up is performed.

The Kiwaya's are shipped already Set-Up from the factory for low action and good intonation.

I haven't played them both. I own one, not the other. So, I will keep my trap shut.

Keep counting on someone...

I've played one Keli'i uke and one Kiwaya uke. Small sample size, but better than nothing.

The Keli'i, a koa soprano, belongs to a colleague. I only played it for about half an hour. It was easy to tune, it felt great in my hands. A real Hawaiian ukulele. Playability rating: good.

The Kiwaya belongs to me. It's an Eco-series KS-0P pineapple. I bought it a few weeks ago (great craigslist deal). The neck is at least as smooth and comfortable as that of any other ukulele I've played. The uke is feather light, and an absolute joy to hold and play. Playability rating: excellent.

I don't know what site your buying the uke's from but, if it isn't a reputable site like Hawaii Music Supply (aka The Ukulele Site) which includes a Set Up on all their ukulele's, the ukulele you buy will not be very playable (hard to fret and possible intonation problems) until a set up is performed.

The Kiwaya's are shipped already Set-Up from the factory for low action and good intonation.

Very sound advice from GKK.
A good professional setup and a decent set of strings make a huge difference.
I have just bought a secondhand 'cheap' ukulele that was setup by Hawaii Music Supply and it is really nice to play. When I bought my first ukulele I had it a few days before a local luthier was able to set it up and i was really surprised at just how much difference the setup made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom