PDA

View Full Version : What do do about a clipped short C string, bridge level, that is poking into my arm?

beautifulsoup
07-25-2012, 11:49 AM
Just what the subject line says. It's very short at the bottom of the figure 8 winding, so I don't think I should risk trying to clip it any shorter. But it sticks out in relationship to the other 3 strings, which are nicely tucked in line, and not an issue.

But this sharp string edge that is poking into my arm; what to do? (I've tried adjusting how I hold the uke, but I inevitably come back to my original position - and to getting my arm poked).

Would a drop of clear nail polish at the tip of the string put a "buffer" effect on it? Or a bit of epoxy, or something?

(Another nUUb question, sorry).

1931jim
07-25-2012, 11:59 AM
Check how many windings at the tuner end of the C. As the old saying goes...give yourself some slack....and then retie the offensive string thing. Good luck.

beautifulsoup
07-25-2012, 12:05 PM
Thanks; it came strung that way, and I'm really new to all this... guess I might have to try.

P.S. - it arrived with no slack up top, either.

robbocx
07-25-2012, 01:55 PM
In the short term just put some gaffer tape over the offending string.

When you restring later on just be aware of the direction the strings ends are facing.

stevepetergal
07-25-2012, 02:24 PM
Temporarily, I would use a drop of hot melt glue to accomplish what you're considering. Mask off the ukulele so you don't do any damage. Then simply apply a drop of the glue. It dries round and relatively soft.
When the time comes to restring, I would tie those ends off so that the loose ends are pointed down, toward the floor, rather than up at the forearm.

beautifulsoup
07-25-2012, 03:37 PM
Temporarily, I would use a drop of hot melt glue to accomplish what you're considering. Mask off the ukulele so you don't do any damage. Then simply apply a drop of the glue. It dries round and relatively soft.
When the time comes to restring, I would tie those ends off so that the loose ends are pointed down, toward the floor, rather than up at the forearm.

Thanks. This is the sort of thing I was thinking of; round and soft tip for the short term.

beautifulsoup
07-25-2012, 03:38 PM
In the short term just put some gaffer tape over the offending string.

When you restring later on just be aware of the direction the strings ends are facing.

Thanks; I'll consider this.

mm stan
07-25-2012, 03:48 PM
If it's fleurocarbon...put a flame to it or if you got enough string, tuck it in the next string..

beautifulsoup
07-25-2012, 04:19 PM
If it's fleurocarbon...put a flame to it or if you got enough string, tuck it in the next string..

Thanks, but neither. Aquila, and too short to tuck. I tried. :D

Thanks for your reply.