Am I asking for trouble if...

Evan.

Reaction score
If I take my (sweet Mainland) uke to a friends house for a pool party this weekend... and I going to regret it?

We have to drive about an hour and a half to get there and it's going to be a hot day. I'd like to be able to play my uke by their pool, but I have no idea what their set up is like (never been there before). So, not knowing what I'm getting into - but pretty sure it's going to be a scorching hot day, I'm just worried that I'll regret taking my uke. I don't want to have to babysit it the whole time. I don't know if they have a shady area for it to rest. Car would be too hot.

...I think I'm talking myself out of it.

A uke is a social instrument, so it would be a shame not to bring it to a party. You are absolutely right that excessive heat can damage your instrument, so you're smart to consider it. Why don't you just call your friend and ask if you'd be able to keep your uke indoors when you're not playing it?

I agree with itsme. High end ukes are great, but ukes like the Dolphin play an important role in any collection. (and, what a great excuse to buy another uke. It's a win-win situation)

There were plenty of Mainlands at UWC last year, and it was *HOT*! I am sure you can leave it inside if you don't want it lying in the sun, but if you are playing it, enjoying it, and it happens to be sunny out I don't think you will have a problem. You are correct to not leave it in the car. If you are worried about water damage (or alcohol damage :D ) then you need a beater uke. My beater uke turned into my autograph uke, and then I needed another beater uke... I'm sure you see where this is going!

Definately have to consider the composition of the "crowd."

Evan wrote.....
"""...I think I'm talking myself out of it. """
Now you're talking. No way would I take a Mainland to a pool party. As another poster has said...Someone will want to go swimming with your treasure as a big joke. No thanks. Take six empty beer cans, then fill with various amounts of water and you have a xylophone for one and all to enjoy. Your Mainland is your Main Man.

Depends on the crowd...I heard to many stories of people sitting on their ukes... crushing reminder...LOL

Yeah...I wouldn't worry about the heat. Long term...yes, it can be a problem. Even fairly short term if left in a 140F closed-up car. But, remember, the wood, metal, and even strings on a ukulele can take a lot more heat than your body can...so basically any place you can play is safe for the uke in terms of short-term temperature and humidity.

However, depending on what kind of "party" you're talking about I might not want to take a nice uke. Playing by the pool is fine...pushed in the pool with your uke by some practical joker or half-lit nitwit is an entirely different horse of another color. :)

John

Your instincts are telling you something. Why risk being sorry? Get a beater to play at pool parties.

Would not take it .:cool:

if its a Hawaiian or Local party, bring your finest uke, for sure..

if its a party with non-local people, you may want to even bring a small colorful blue toy ukulele for them to play and joke around with, since they likely think your finely-crafted uke is also a goofy kiddie toy

you're not exactly asking for trouble but you are pretty much guaranteeing you wont get laid :)

Don't bring your best/ treasured uke when you don't know the people at the party. People will want to play it, and they may be wet from swimming or sweating, and if they are drinking, they might do something that damages it, not realizing it isn't a toy to you. You want to be relaxed while you are there, so get a cheap beater uke - so when they take it out of your hands, you don't look distressed.

–Lori

I've never regretted taking a ukulele anywhere.

you're not exactly asking for trouble but you are pretty much guaranteeing you wont get laid :)

beg to differ webby. Uke players are cool now didncha know? In Tassie ukers pull even more chicks than oboe players...he he

+1 for a beater.
I got a Dolphin to take camping and even to loan out to friends who want to find out if they like playing the ukulele.

You could do what George Harrison would do: buy half a dozen Dolphins and teach everybody else how to play. Okay, George would probably bring Ko'alohas or something, but I'm assuming you've never been a Beatle.

Seriously, though, I agree with everyone who said if you can get a Dolphin, get one and bring that. If it were me, I would have a hard time enjoying myself if I were worrying about my 'uke. And you don't want to not be able to let people play it or at least hold it; they will want to, and it's a social instrument, and people will be in wet bathing suits and possibly pixilated. Get a beater and enjoy yourself.

Top Bottom