Kala Acoustic-Electric vs Solid-Body "U-Bass"

Tenzen

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the Solid-Body or Acoustic-Electric Kala Ukulele-Bass, found here: http://www.kalabrand.com/instrumentsU-bass.html

i wonder how does the Acoustic U-Bass sound in an acoustic jam session

and how are they tuned?

and how does the solid body U-Bass sound in a Jam session with other instruments?

can the U-Bass be used as the only Bass, in a Uke & Guitar group?

if anyone has any first hand experience, let me know . thanks

Anyone have any experience with the Solid-Body or Acoustic-Electric Kala Ukulele-Bass, found here: http://www.kalabrand.com/instrumentsU-bass.html

i wonder how does the Acoustic U-Bass sound in an acoustic jam session

and how are they tuned?

and how does the solid body U-Bass sound in a Jam session with other instruments?

can the U-Bass be used as the only Bass, in a Uke & Guitar group?

if anyone has any first hand experience, let me know . thanks

I am not a bassist, but I have played both the solid body and Acoustic U-Bass. Both sound great in my opinion, but the acoustic one is only loud enough to hear yourself practice on unless you plug in. There are several threads here on UU about it. UU member, Steve Boisen, who is a professional bassist of the BarnKickers ukulele/bass group uses one (plugged in) when he isn't carrying his full size upright bass. I have heard him and his daughter Amanda in concert here in Atlanta, and the U-Bass sounded great plugged in.

I've played both at Mike's Uke Republic store. I thought the solid body sounded more like an actual bass guitar and didn't really care for the tone of the acoustic unplugged, although it sounded fine plugged in. To be honest, I really didn't like the rubbery strings - they would take some getting used to.... Have you looked at the Kamoa E3E bass? I played one of those and the difference was pretty dramatic - the nickel flatwound strings are what you'd find on a standard bass guitar and the improvement in the unplugged tone is amazing - the solid spruce top with those strings sounds really great unplugged. Also preferred the feel of the fretboard and the general playability, as well - it feels, sounds, and plays like a better quality instrument, in my opinion. Don't know what your plans are, but you might consider it as an option - I think Mike was selling it with a nice gig bag for the same price as the solid body Kala.....

Just reread your question - neither the Kala nor Kamoa acoustic is terribly loud... the would be okay unplugged with a small group, especially other ukuleles, but I think if there more than one or two other musicians, or you were playing with louder guitars/banjos/mandolins etc, you might have a hard time being heard unplugged, especially if you're trying to get a filled out 'bass' sound. They're all tuned EADG, like a standard bass. Plugged in, any of them would work well as a bass in any combo.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom