swing strum and muting chords

luluwrites

Reaction score
I've been watching Gerald Ross and a number of swing uke and guitar videos, trying to master a swing strum, but I'm not getting that nice pulsing rhythm thing going yet.

I can't make a video to demonstrate the problem, so I'll try to use words. Rather than bum, bum, bum, bum, I get a wow, wow, wow sound of the chords sort of coming in and out of play. Does that make sense?

Any tips? Should I pressing down AS I strum and then muting once the strum is complete? Is it press chords then strum then let up? Am I hopeless? (don't answer that one.)

Last edited:
Maybe you could post a list of the videos you've been watching?

Hi,

String dampening really only works with closed chord shapes so if you're playing any open chords, that could be your main problem. An open string will continue to ring out after a strum because there is nothing to dampen it (except some other kind of mute, like a palm mute)

If the chords are closed then it sounds like you're still letting the strings ring out by keeping pressure on the frets. The damp comes immediately after the strum. Release pressure on the frets but keep your fingers in place. This dampens the strings until the next strum.

So the process is as follows:

Fingers applying pressure to frets (closed chord)
Strum
Immediately release the pressure of the fretting hand but keep your fingers on the strings
Apply pressure on the chord
Strum
Immediately release the pressure of the fretting hand but keep your fingers on the strings
Etc, until you change chords.

Gerald's video is a bit confusing because he is adding fully open C6 upstrum between the dampened chords.

I hope this helps.

I am using closed chords, so I'm on the right track. I very much appreciate the step-by-step, Mike. I'll give it another go.

Instead of practicing a song I suggest you try swinging one chord.
Start with a 2nd position C, pulse your left hand in time with your foot.
What you are aiming for is to get a rhythm going as if you were the drummer.
When you get the feel then add another chord, then another until you have a nice chord progression.
One of my favorites is C, C#dim,Dm7,G7. (shown to me by Gerald and used in several of his videos)

C 5433
C# dim 3434 (one finger move)
Dm7 5555 (try using the ring finger to bar)
G7 4535

It is possible, though a little more difficult, to perform mutes on open chords.

However, you're asking about closed chords. It helps to think of it as a "pulse." Think of your mute as your natural state. You only squeeze the chord when you want it to sound. This way, you're only adhering to the pulse of the beat, and not letting your head get in the way.

Usually people think of it the other way around, and try to relax their grip to mute. This seems backwards to me, and requires too much thought.

Seeso! I believe you have broken the deadbolt on my brain door! (I'll come back and revise that metaphor later.) I think I'm getting it!

It is possible, though a little more difficult, to perform mutes on open chords.

However, you're asking about closed chords. It helps to think of it as a "pulse." Think of your mute as your natural state. You only squeeze the chord when you want it to sound. This way, you're only adhering to the pulse of the beat, and not letting your head get in the way.

Usually people think of it the other way around, and try to relax their grip to mute. This seems backwards to me, and requires too much thought.

and thanks for the tip, SailingUke. One chord at a time . . .

Last edited:
Seeso! I believe you have broken the deadbolt of my door brain! (I'll come back and edit that metaphor later.) I think I'm getting it!

Excellent! Glad to have been of help. :shaka:

Fantastic thread, I'm so glad you posted this (thank you!) - I checked out Gerald Ross's Youtubes - I have to come back to this later, I love this stuff!

Been working on this -- I've not perfected it, but all your advice helped. From here on out it is just practice.
Thanks!

Top Bottom