Unwound string sets

ichadwick

Reaction score
Any recommendations for string sets for baritone and tenor ukes? I want unwound, high-G (tenor) and high-D (baritone). I want to buy at least two sets of each, plus some wound low-G/low-D sets. Eight-ten sets likely.

Anything reasonable in both price and shipping (to Canada)? I don't like black strings because I find them too loose; not enough energy to the top. I've used D'Addario, Aquila, Martin and I have some Worth strings unused but buried in a box I can't get at right now (house reno in the works). Am open to other brands.

Suggestions and prices appreciated.
Thanks

Check out Ken's Living Water Strings.

Check out Ken's Living Water Strings.
Thanks for the suggestion. I checked his strings, and they are interesting but rather a bit pricey for my budget. Eight sets would be £61 plus shipping, or about $100 CAD. That's a bit more than I really want to pay right now, but I may order one or two from him and get the rest elsewhere.

rather a bit pricey for my budget
Well, at least down here Ken's strings are in about the same price range like Aquila's. Not too much for good quality....
Dunno about string prices in Canada though, might be a different world.

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked his strings, and they are interesting but rather a bit pricey for my budget. Eight sets would be £61 plus shipping, or about $100 CAD. That's a bit more than I really want to pay right now, but I may order one or two from him and get the rest elsewhere.

They are a little pricey if you are not in the UK but I really was pleased with them -- so much so I placed a second order for three more sets after my initial two set order. If I were you, I would order one set just to try them out. As to other recommendations, if you can find those Worths, that would have been my next option.

I don't play wound g usually (I usually use the PhD or Living Water unwound) but I did like the Savarez Corum wound string -- at least as much as a wound string can work for me (I can't seem to play without squeaks and this was the best I tried).

For high g, I like the Worths, or else Savarez Alliance.

Can't help you with bari recommendations though sorry.

I too am enmored with Ken's new strings. I put them on my concert and baritone and they totally changed their sound for the better. Before I put them on, I was quite happy with KO'OLAU alohi strings, give them a try.

I would look at Southcoasts. In past, i've had a number of sets shipped to me for less than $5.

I would look at Southcoasts. In past, i've had a number of sets shipped to me for less than $5.

I was looking at their site - they have almost too many options! Takes a bit of time to sort through the choices.

Most string sets I get from eBay or from local music stores are $5-$8 each. That's about 3-5pds. Ken's sets are 7-8pds, or $11-12.75 each. So they're quite a bit more than I usually pay.

I am seriously tempted to purchase some of the new red Aquilas, but they're singles only. Have to find a seller who will combine shipping to get several.

I was looking at their site - they have almost too many options! Takes a bit of time to sort through the choices.

Most string sets I get from eBay or from local music stores are $5-$8 each. That's about 3-5pds. Ken's sets are 7-8pds, or $11-12.75 each. So they're quite a bit more than I usually pay.

I am seriously tempted to purchase some of the new red Aquilas, but they're singles only. Have to find a seller who will combine shipping to get several.

Just email Dirk at Southcoast and he'll sort you out. My found-in-the-garage bari is a pretty lousy instrument, but with Dirk's help I got strings that make it sound pretty swell. He saved this bari from returning to the garage.

I like Fremont Blacklines on my tenor.

Ian, send a PM to Dirk for recommendations. He's gone out of his way and assisted a number of people looking for strings sets. You can also check RyRods reviews of Southcoast string sets if that helps any.

Worth Clear or Worth Browns. Each set is enough for 2 ukes which brings the price down.

Southcoast!!!!! They have just what you want, with options. The suggestion about PMing Dirk is right on. I was confused at first when reading the site, too, but I called LA and talked to Dirk. He spent 20 minutes with me explaining things to someone who knows that music theory has something to do with vibrations. I have the unwound re-entrant Southcoast heavies on my baritone. Dirk even sent me one of the wound third strings for a comparison but the Pono sounds so good right now I'm not changing. I am not associated with Southcoast except as a very pleased customer of a quality product.

Top Bottom