Mahogany 'white bits' problem

Beau Hannam Ukuleles

Reaction score
Hi- can anyone help with this mahogany problem im having-

I need to get rid of the white bits in this wood but dont know how. Any magicians out there? :mad:

Anukes 056.jpgukes 053.jpgukes 054.jpgukes 055.jpgy tips?????

If it's what I think it is, all that's ever worked for me is a T-pin and compressed air. And some time.

Steve

Are the white stuff the dust from pearl or the white strip? If they are, they might remain white under the finish....i guess.
I think blow them out will be the best, unless you still have room to sand the top down more.

Initially, I would have guessed it was the dust, from the sound hole rosette, created from sanding the top using a drum sander. That's why its in a stripe down the length of the instrument the same width of the rosette. But, it looks to be on the sides too, so my second guess is its from the abrasive, or some residue, on your drum sander. With my luck, you probably don't even have a drum sander. Glad it worked out for you though.

Last edited:
I've had a few pieces of timber (not mahogany) like that. The white stuff was small pieces of rot. It didn't go away. Those ukes became pizza oven fuel.

MMM ,..............Pizza !

Silica Deposits in the wood. we used to see it in Rosewood and Mahogany at the factory. the best (only) way to release it from the wood is to use muriatic acid. Good luck... and use gloves.

Silica Deposits in the wood. we used to see it in Rosewood and Mahogany at the factory. the best (only) way to release it from the wood is to use muriatic acid. Good luck... and use gloves.
I used to do a ton of wood carving; sculptures, jewelry, and the like. I mostly used mahogany and I would see this every so often. In fact, I have some of it in my shop right now.

What Eric said. Mineral deposits. Acetone sometimes works, too. Gloves and outside or in the spray booth...

This happens sometimes in Mahogany, and I have heard that has to do with where the tree came from, and the soil conditions it grew in. Not much to do about it but get a different board. I just received a nice ribbony board of quartersawn Cuban Mahogany that is filled with this deposit. At first I was really disappointed, then I just decided not to worry about it.. Not going to use it for what I had intended, but it will make a bunch of nice ukes... with white spots... will try the acetone, but I am not holding my breath. I love the red color of Mahogany so much that eventually I will get over it. Would be a shame to waste Mahogany.

I'm not sure how well the acetone will work with mahogany, but it's worth a try. I have used the acetone trick with Indian Rosewood, but it doesn't really seem to dissolve the mineral deposits. It pulls up the oil from the rosewood, and stains the minerals.......making them appear to be gone.

Interesting... was just messing with this Cuban Mahogany board I just cut up, wiped it with some water and the mineral spots completely disappeared. Acetone worked too... This has not worked in the past..

This happens sometimes in Mahogany, and I have heard that has to do with where the tree came from, and the soil conditions it grew in. Not much to do about it but get a different board.

Perhaps you could just call it "rare shimmering mahogany" or "unique speckled mahogany" and market it?;)

Seriously, though, how would these spots look with a finish? Curious noobs want to know

They look like white spots.... It depends on the individual board. Sometimes a nice white colored mineral filled pore can look terribly out of place, especially on darker woods, sometimes it might be ok. I have also seen this on Movingui, and Jacaranda Pardo. Depends on your taste...

Pootsie ,
Always grain fill with a slightly darker (or clear) color then the wood your using- leaving these white mineral deposits in makes the wood look like it was grain filled with liquid paper...

I had this in the mahogany I used in my project. I was going to tell you that I picked it out with a needle, but you would be there for then forseeable future with your mahogany. Mine had a dozen or so. I'll try the acetone next time.

Top Bottom