Should I trade...

kevlarian

Reaction score
So I posted a couple of days ago in this forum, a trade request for a Concert or Tenor Uke for my Takamine G240 Guitar.

Well I also posted locally on Craigs List, and received a response from three people. Two of them have not listed the specific Uke they want to trade, but one did. He said it is a Mitchell MU100 Koa Concert Uke.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk...nts/mitchell-mu100-koa-concert-ukulele#review

I am curious if anyone has any comments/feedback on this Uke, and if it is a fair trade.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!
Kevin

Hi Kevin. Doing a quick google search, there are used G240s out there (in the US) for about $100
http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-TAKAMINE-G240-060812480-107823701-i2563178.gc
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0002E5018/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Your link to the Mitchell says it is $179 new so dollar wise they are comparable. I haven't played a Mitchell so can't comment on it. For that price range I would guess it is a Koa Laminate which isn't necessarily bad. Can you get a chance to play it before committing?

Yes. The individual is local (very local) about 1 mile from my house!!! I haven't been playing long, so I don't have much to compare it to ( I have a lanikai LU-21 soprano and a Makala Dolphin), I think it is an upgrade from both of those, which is really all I am looking for...

Thoughts?

Received another offer for a Makala MK-C... Anyone have a thought on that Uke?

Aren't Makala the cheap crap brother to Kala ?

A quick search shows them to be around £ 45 in England, so they'll be about $ 50 in the US (the exchange rate works on a more-or-less 1:1 ration on musical instruments).

Last edited:
I played a Mitchell recently - soprano, though. and mahogany laminate rather than koa laminate.

Nicely finished but very overbuilt, and thus quiet and unresponsive. If the concert is similarly built, which I would expect, then it's only an upgrade from your Lamikai in terms of looks.

But go play it - it might be a good 'un and just what you want. Every mass-producer throws up a small percentage of much better ukes (and a similar percentage of complete dogs). Concentrate on how it feels to play, and how it sounds, not on its looks.

I played a Mitchell recently - soprano, though. and mahogany laminate rather than koa laminate.

Nicely finished but very overbuilt, and thus quiet and unresponsive. If the concert is similarly built, which I would expect, then it's only an upgrade from your Lamikai in terms of looks.

But go play it - it might be a good 'un and just what you want. Every mass-producer throws up a small percentage of much better ukes (and a similar percentage of complete dogs). Concentrate on how it feels to play, and how it sounds, not on its looks.

Great advice. I am really looking for something a tad larger (and hopefully an upgrade) from my Lanikai Soprano. Yes. Let me take a look and try it out.

Yes I would go play it and see what YOU think. I would think that it is not going to play any better than your Lanikai LU-21, but it would be a larger size and prettier to look at.

All my experiences with Mitchell ukes were clunky and overweight - none of those in the positive sense. My recommendation is to stray away from Mitchell ukuleles.

Top Bottom