Compass Rose Curly Walnut Bound Tenor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukeykondo

Reaction score
It is in perfect condition--I do not see a single scratch on it, and it could pass for new, a beautiful Compass Rose made of deliciously curly walnut. The intonation is amazing and the tone is magical. Only selling to raise some funds. I will sell this for $1000 + shipping/insurance sent in a hard case.

I was not the original owner, but the original owner did not play it much, and I played it sparsely and the original owner only sold it because he is now making his own ukuleles. The original owner, an UU'er, told me that he spoke to Rick about it who recalled it as an especially good uke.

It has a warm, tone, extremely resonant. Sure, if you want a return policy, you can have it, provided that you cover shipping both ways, and that you are serious about buying it. Mine is in such good condition and the sound is so great that I cannot conceive of someone wanting to return this.

The original owner has confirmed that this uke cost somewhere between $1500-$1600. I am selling it because I need the money...I am not really interested in trades, but if you have something really good, I might consider it, on the theory that I'd do the trade, play your uke, and then try to sell that one later!

Serial number is 09233 See subsequent posts on page three for more photos

ukeB_4.jpgukeB_3.jpgukeB_1.jpgCompassRose#1.jpg

Attachments

• ukeB_2.jpg
    ukeB_2.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
mmmm...yummy looking walnut. She's a total stunner.

I may be interested...
Please PM me with the following:
- Price for new
- Condition: any bumps/bruises/scrapes/scratches?
- Tone: Bright or Warm?
- Any buzzing frets or dead notes?
- What is your return policy if there are any problems?
Thanks.

I may be interested...
Please PM me with the following:
- Price for new
- Condition: any bumps/bruises/scrapes/scratches?
- Tone: Bright or Warm?
- Any buzzing frets or dead notes?
- What is your return policy if there are any problems?
Thanks.

No offence, but some of those seem to be things which should be included in the public post.

I'm also very interested. If possible, please respond to Paul December's post in this thread. Also, does this ukulele have a serial number? Are you the original owner? Where did you buy it? Thanks in advance!

Aloha UK,
wow nice Walnut Uke Compass Rose...yes what model is this ..more info would help...thank you....yes I hear Rick's ukes really ring...

answers

Sorry guys, I posted very late at night, but have filled in the details

The Compass Rose ukulele's store price is based on its wood and upgrades. This one is nice but it appears to have celluloid binding and a matte finish, so this might have been $1200-1300 new. Fancier wood binding with gloss finish would place it in the $1600 new price level. A check of Gryphon and Sylvan's websites will show various options and prices.

$1200-$1300 is not what it originally cost. I received an email from the original owner who confirmed he paid between $1500-$1600 (without a hard case and without shipping). The best way to confirm this outside of asking Rick is to see what's out there -- I see a plain cherry tenor (no binding, no wood upgrade, no shipping and only a gig bag http://www.gryphonstrings.com/instpix/39034/39034.php) is $1212 new. In comparison, mine has a wood upgrade, binding, and includes shipping and a hard case. Anyhow, feel free to compare another one for yourself: http://sylvanmusic.com/inventory.php?function=view&id=1463&search=Ukuleles Personally, I like the one I have better and cannot find anything exactly like mine to price it, so it's hard to evaluate.

The Compass Rose ukulele's store price is based on its wood and upgrades. This one is nice but it appears to have celluloid binding and a matte finish, so this might have been $1200-1300 new. Fancier wood binding with gloss finish would place it in the $1600 new price level. A check of Gryphon and Sylvan's websites will show various options and prices.

Last edited:
I have spoken to the original owner who has confirmed that the uke cost between $1500-$1600 as new. Since that is a bit less than I thought it was, I will reduce the price to $1150 including shipping, insurance and hard case.

I think we are speculating--neither of us know for sure what the original retail value was, but $1200-$1300 does not seem right (I have an email into the original owner to find out for sure). The best way to compare in the meantime is to see what's out there -- I see a plain cherry tenor (no binding, no wood upgrade, no shipping and only a gig bag http://www.gryphonstrings.com/instpix/39034/39034.php) is $1212 new. In comparison, mine has a wood upgrade, binding, and includes shipping and a hard case. Anyhow, feel free to compare another one for yourself: http://sylvanmusic.com/inventory.php?function=view&id=1463&search=Ukuleles Personally, I like the one I have better and cannot find anything exactly like mine to price it, so it's hard to evaluate.

$1200-$1300 is not what it originally cost. I received an email from the original owner who confirmed he paid between $1500-$1600 (without a hard case and without shipping). The best way to confirm this outside of asking Rick is to see what's out there -- I see a plain cherry tenor (no binding, no wood upgrade, no shipping and only a gig bag http://www.gryphonstrings.com/instpix/39034/39034.php) is $1212 new. In comparison, mine has a wood upgrade, binding, and includes shipping and a hard case. Anyhow, feel free to compare another one for yourself: http://sylvanmusic.com/inventory.php?function=view&id=1463&search=Ukuleles Personally, I like the one I have better and cannot find anything exactly like mine to price it, so it's hard to evaluate.

I have a price list w/ options and I believe the $1500 - $1600 Ukekondo quoted is the more appropriate range. The binding w/ Walnut would be an increase of $300 - $400 range. I am not an expert so going by my 2011 1st Qtr price list. I was considering buying a CR and that's why I have the price list.

Good luck to buyer and seller. Obviously, there's interest involved in this beautiful uke!!

Last edited:
Bear in mind that most of our dealers essentially custom order ukes, so while we do have base prices (for all-mahogany ukes), a large number of what we build have upgraded woods, trim, finishes, etc. Also we have ranges of prices for some of the woods depending on figure and color...which is what determines what we have to pay for woods like walnut, maple, and koa. It's getting funnier now, too, since we're making both 12 and 14 fret tenors in our "traditional" shape as well as 14 fret concerts and tenors in the nano and micro jumbo shapes. So down the road, "Compass Rose" will mean more than it has for the past six or seven years.

And I want to build a long scale Bb tenor and a baritone as well... I need them for myself!

Although I have had quite a few people express interest, I'm going to reduce the price to motivate one of you to pull the trigger. $1100 all inclusive, which represents up to a $500 discount on a like new uke, an incredibly beautiful instrument that has an unparalleled sound

Really looking to move this, so here's what I hope to be my last price reduction. $1000 plus shipping/insurance. This is up to a $600 discount on one of the best ukes you will ever play.

Try putting a simple video onto youtube:) It will help this puppy fly off the shelf. I bought a Rose several months ago and it is easily the BEST ukulele I played. It really has the body and tone of a guitar:) $1000 is seriously a steal. Blessings on the sale!

I wish I could, but I just spent a bunch of money on some other ukes and haven't gotten around to selling a few ukes I don't play anymore to finance another purchase. For what it's worth, that's a great price for this uke.

If I can't sell this for the current price, I might take it off the market. As it is, this is a great price, and the only reason I'm selling is to save up for some important expenses that are coming up... Thanks for checking it out...

I wish I could, but I just spent a bunch of money on some other ukes and haven't gotten around to selling a few ukes I don't play anymore to finance another purchase. For what it's worth, that's a great price for this uke.

Really looking to move this, so here's what I hope to be my last price reduction. $1000 plus shipping/insurance. This is up to a $600 discount on one of the best ukes you will ever play.

Where do you live? $1,000 plus shipping could be close to $1,100 all inclusive due to shipping costs

New York... I don't think I've ever paid even close to $100 to ship and insure an uke. Not even the one to the Netherlands cost that much

Where do you live? $1,000 plus shipping could be close to $1,100 all inclusive due to shipping costs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom