Search function

mikelz777

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else out there has shared my experience, but I haven't had the best of luck finding things using the search function box on this site. The results are usually way too broad for my needs. If there are others out there who've experienced the same thing there's a different search method I'd like to share that has worked very well for me.

I use Google search. I enter the search term followed by "site:ukuleleunderground.com" (no spaces). For example, if I wanted to find something about Mainland ukuleles specifically, I would enter:

Mainland site:ukuleleunderground.com.

If I was looking for forum information on Pono ukes I'd enter:

Pono site:ukuleleunderground.com

I've found that the search results are much more refined and has successfully helped me find many things I had difficulty finding otherwise. Give it a shot and see what you think.

I also use the google search as described.

It's something about the forum software I think. Other forums that use this software also have dodgy search results. I also use google. :(

I always click on the "Advanced" search option and never have a problem.

Funny thing is, when I search on google without the site:ukuleleunderground.com restriction I still get nothing but UU results anyway. :rolleyes:

The default search setting is "multiple content types" but you can switch to "single content" and even specify which forums to search, which usually gives more accurate results.

That's a great tip, thanks for that.

Great info, I also posted about the poor search results a few months ago but got no responses. As an example, I searched my own user name on the forum but couldn't come up with the post, @#$@#$. I'll try googling and some of the other restricted search suggestions here. Thanks everyone, g2

Sometimes I wonder if anyone ever uses the search function.
Very glad to see some folks search before asking.

As an example, I searched my own user name on the forum but couldn't come up with the post, @#$@#$.
If you go to your profile you can view your posts or started threads. I know it says "latest" but for me it goes back to the beginning of time.

Also, you can set your preferences to automatically subscribe you to every thread you post in (with or without email notification) and then when you click on Settings (upper right) you'll see all the threads you've posted in that have had updates since your last post in it.

This really works much better than the 'standard search':

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/search.php?search_type=1

Try the search term "d'addario" using this method and then compare the results with what you get using the search method, d'addario site:ukuleleunderground.com on Google. For me, the Google search results are much better. I guess there's more than one way to skin a cat. I just thought I'd share the method which worked best for me.

Try the search term "d'addario" using this method and then compare the results with what you get using the search method, d'addario site:ukuleleunderground.com on Google. For me, the Google search results are much better. I guess there's more than one way to skin a cat. I just thought I'd share the method which worked best for me.

You're right, however if you chance to 'search titles only' it's about the same. I do use the google site: search for a number of sites, but when the site-name gets long it becomes a little less easy..

Top Bottom