UU Lessons or local private lessons?

heyjohn

Reaction score
I don't know if this is the place to ask but I'm thinking about taking private lessons or trying to learn on my own. I taught myself guitar years ago but never took it very far. I couldn't read music or play complete songs. I only played by ear, and only the 'cool' parts of songs. More recently I learned to play piano and read music, so I do have some basic knowledge, but I've pretty much let the piano go. Since I haven't kept it up, I can't play much....again no complete songs. I'd like to take the uke further and learn to play it well, as well as my ability will allow anyway. Enjoy it for myself, or include and entertain others. What I'd like here is some opinions on whether to take private lessons or to try to learn as much as I can on my own. Thanks in advance for any help.

John

Heyjohn, I was in your precise shoes one year ago exactly, except without the guitar and piano part. I had no musical experience whatsoever, except singing in the shower.

I learned without a live teacher, and I, like you, live in Illinois. The money I saved on lessons I put toward buying ukuleles. Now, I have a collection of ukuleles, all shapes and sizes, but cannot play them.

lol No, seriously, I learned on my own and the structure of UU University was good. Honestly, I think it's like $120/year, or ten clams a month. I spend more than that at Mickey D's each week.

So, yeah, I like the structure of UU University. Did I watch them all? I think I did. They get harder and harder and it's really good that way. I think learning with random utube videos, such as the great ones from Hawaii Music Supply, is harder, if for no other reason than the organizational aspect. UU University is 101, 102, 103, 201... etc. But, I think I went too fast. It'd be better to do them as Aldrine, the instructor on UU, says...each week, and keep ion doing the lesson's suggestions, over and over and over. Tendency, for me at least, was to do waht he said for a day or so, then go back and watch another video lesson. Tsk tsk.

G'luck, fellow Chicagolander. And best with your new "used" ukulele coming in...what time is it now? lol Soon.

Last edited:
My opinion, Download Uncle Rod's Ukulele Boot Camp, get Ukulele for Dummies, brn through that for a decent, solid uke knowledge base, then you can find out most of what you need in UU and other online tutorials......many on YouTube. Problem areas can be addressed at you local uke club.....which you should do ASAP if you can.

Mahalo

UU is working for me

Heyjohn, I was in your precise shoes one year ago exactly, except without the guitar and piano part. I had no musical experience whatsoever, except singing in the shower.

I learned without a live teacher, and I, like you, live in Illinois. The money I saved on lessons I put toward buying ukuleles. Now, I have a collection of ukuleles, all shapes and sizes, but cannot play them.

lol No, seriously, I learned on my own and the structure of UU University was good. Honestly, I think it's like $120/year, or ten clams a month. I spend more than that at Mickey D's each week.

So, yeah, I like the structure of UU University. Did I watch them all? I think I did. They get harder and harder and it's really good that way. I think learning with random utube videos, such as the great ones from Hawaii Music Supply, is harder, if for no other reason than the organizational aspect. UU University is 101, 102, 103, 201... etc. But, I think I went too fast. It'd be better to do them as Aldrine, the instructor on UU, says...each week, and keep ion doing the lesson's suggestions, over and over and over. Tendency, for me at least, was to do waht he said for a day or so, then go back and watch another video lesson. Tsk tsk.

G'luck, fellow Chicagolander. And best with your new "used" ukulele coming in...what time is it now? lol Soon.

I too, signed up for UU101 and haven't spent enough time on the individual lessons.. just too much fun moving on to the next one. But I plan to go back and spend the appropriate amount of time with each one, getting the basics down..
I also downloaded the series of '10 Licks for Folk'.. rock, blues etc.. these look like alot of fun and were only about 10 bucks.. will be trying those over the weekend.

Well........

I took lessons locally for 2 years. Problem was that they could play the ukulele, but not really. Know what I mean? They were guitar and mandolin players. They did not teach me ukulele stuff at all -- and I believe there is a difference. If you are someone who can stick with it with YouTube, UU etc, I think you'll be fine. Also consider looking for an ukulele teacher who gives Skype lessons. That's what I do now. It works great.

I would also recommend the UUUniversity course. Living in Illinois, I don't think there are too many ukulele teachers around. Quality ones, at least. I had signed up for UUU and practiced that a bit and THEN found a local beginner group class. Needless to say, the class itself was just a result of the new ukulele craze and a way for the music shop to sell the ukes they had ordered. The instructor himself admitted he had only been play the ukulele for about 3 weeks, because they had asked him to teach the class. He is normally the guitar and bass instructor. By the end of the class, I had already learned everything the guy had tried to teach from UUU and then some. I'd just say, do your research before spending money on a private lesson. If you plan on teaching yourself, UUU will keep you on the right track. I also have Ukulele for Dummies. If books are your forte, I recommend that book too! And of course, this forum! Good luck!

My opinion, Download Uncle Rod's Ukulele Boot Camp, get Ukulele for Dummies, brn through that for a decent, solid uke knowledge base, then you can find out most of what you need in UU and other online tutorials......many on YouTube. Problem areas can be addressed at you local uke club.....which you should do ASAP if you can.

Mahalo

This is basically what I've done over the past 6 months or so but haven't made the step to UU yet. Lots of songs with different chord transitions, a few chord melodies and some basic finger picking ones gives me lots to work on in the hour a day I'm playing.

Thanks for all the ideas. I'll probably do both the bootcamp and UUU. I also didn't know about the '10 licks' for 10 bucks. I'll try that too. One thing I never learned in guitar is how to solo. I really want to be able to do that, to solo or to add licks in the middle of songs. There does seem to be a wealth of material available online including here and I have learned on my own in the past. I just didn't have enough structure and discipline to get far. I think that will be different this time. The ukulele just feels that way. I know I'm an excited beginner right now, but I feel this will really be a lifetime of joy and learning. Thanks again for all the help and encouragement. I'm off to practice on my new Kala Lacewood. I'll post pics in the appropriate section.

I don't know if this is the place to ask but I'm thinking about taking private lessons or trying to learn on my own. I taught myself guitar years ago but never took it very far. I couldn't read music or play complete songs. I only played by ear, and only the 'cool' parts of songs. More recently I learned to play piano and read music, so I do have some basic knowledge, but I've pretty much let the piano go. Since I haven't kept it up, I can't play much....again no complete songs. I'd like to take the uke further and learn to play it well, as well as my ability will allow anyway. Enjoy it for myself, or include and entertain others. What I'd like here is some opinions on whether to take private lessons or to try to learn as much as I can on my own. Thanks in advance for any help.

John

if you have the time and money take lessons from a real ukulele teacher..it is the only way you are going to get better>>and learn faster than you are now..be sure it is a real ukulele teacher..tell them you want to learn how to fingerpick/fingerstyle..most teachers who just want you to strum songs might not have too much experience..you can read music all ready>>so learn the fretboard and you can play almost any song you want..private lessons if you can afford them..but group lessons ok too..unless you get to far ahead of the other students >>> i think because you are asking i would say that you want lessons from a real teacher..good luck and have fun..

Thanks for all the ideas. I'll probably do both the bootcamp and UUU. I also didn't know about the '10 licks' for 10 bucks. I'll try that too. One thing I never learned in guitar is how to solo. I really want to be able to do that, to solo or to add licks in the middle of songs. There does seem to be a wealth of material available online including here and I have learned on my own in the past. I just didn't have enough structure and discipline to get far. I think that will be different this time. The ukulele just feels that way. I know I'm an excited beginner right now, but I feel this will really be a lifetime of joy and learning. Thanks again for all the help and encouragement. I'm off to practice on my new Kala Lacewood. I'll post pics in the appropriate section.

To find the link and samples of the 'licks', just search JONTOM on the forum. His stuff is awesome and he goes slow enough to teach each element. Good luck

I think one thing you'll get from a teacher would be personal technique. How to hold your hand(s), how to navigate the fretboard, etc. Those things would be available on video, of course, but it's something that might not be pointed out. Don't get too far in and develop bad habits that will slow your progress!

I live in New Zealand, and the ukulele while popular here, is not as popular as it could be... which means finding local resources to learn from is hard. So yes I'm signed up for UU101. I also have the For Dummies book and Baz's books. Recently signed up for a 7 week community run course on playing the ukulele. Figure that this combination will get me on my way to playing the uke :)

Top Bottom