Kamaka Nitrocellulose finish maintenance - do's and don'ts - pick/scratch guard?

fuey

Reaction score
Hello people,

I've been searching around for a while trying to find the best way to look after my new ukulele and have been lucky to find some information about how to protect and keep a Nitrocellulose finish before I damaged it without knowing. I've read that a lot of guitar stands can cause damage to the finish so I now keep it in it's case after play (foam is bad). Resting a ukulele agasint amps is bad and textured surfaces. Vinyl, insect repellant, cologne can affect the finish. Even having a leather strap, I've read the color can run into the finish from the leather. I'm now worried about playing the ukulele on blue jeans which are notorious for rubbing blue on to anything it rubs against. I've read it will naturally age and turn yellow and craze causing spider web cracks in the finish. Frequent or sudden temperature changes can cause cracking in the finish. It's highly flammable. Please let me know if I've missed anything. I think there should have been a little booklet informing me about these warnings and part of how to care for the instrument and what to expect over time. I've heard silicon is not good for the finish too.

As I get on to the main topic I'd like feedback on, how to polish and protect this seemingly high maintenance finish. I have a Gibson polishing cloth and restorative cream that specifies it's ok on nitro finish. I've read polish that contains wax shouldn't be used. I'm just using the dry polishing cloth for now after every play session I have on the ukulele. I tend to only finger pick but have recently decided to strum harder on it to hear how it changes in sound. I've caused some very very faint hairline scratches which can not be noticed unless you really look. I know some of you may think that they are love marks and that it adds to the character but after watching some video's of Spanish guitar players and how there is just patches of wood color where they have been hitting their guitar, I can't see how this outcome would look ok on the ukulele.

I see Jake, Kalei, Aldrine and maybe others with a transparent scratch guard and thanks to Dominators link in another thread, I decided to purchase the Clear Mylar Pickguard from Stewart-MacDonald. However, I'm worried that Dominator applied this to ukulele's in his collection that were not nitro finish. Dominator, would you care to respond with more information on this for me (I would really appreciate that thanks)? I saw Aldrine had a clear pickgruard on his Kamaka but since he plays his Kanilea mostly now I'm not sure if Dominator was refering to Aldrine applying this Mylar to the Kanilea (Aldrine, could you shed some light on how the pick guard is on your Kamaka after all this time?) and Jake and Kalei also play Kamaka so I assume the finish should be Nitro but I don't know if they are using the same material I have ordered or if the Mylar or adhesive will bond or damage the nitro finish. Will I be able to take it off without damaging the Nitro finish if I really scratch up the Mylar? I've only just ordered the material so it will take 2-4 weeks to get to me so I still have the choice not to use it if it isn't the best choice. I will probably have to cut it to shape and apply and if I mess up the application and take it off to reapply, will I be taking off finish as well when I lift it up - if I can lift it up? I also read that the ipad screen protector might be a cheaper alternative but I have no idea what it will do to the Nitro finish. I'd like to be safe and use something that has been tried and tested. Pitty Kamaka don't offer a scratch guard.

A lot of the information I got were from the Gibson forums where they used Nitro finish for years and they seem to like the natural crazing look so I don't know if Kamaka are using exactly the same version of if they have adding anything to the Nitro.

Feedback from knowledgeable folk much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Congrats on your new Kamaka HF3S! It's understandable you're excited to have it and are very careful with it. I'm the same way with my ukes.
Presently I have three Kamakas, an HF-1, an HF-2 and an HF-2S. I've also briefly owned an HF-3 and recently an HF-3S. Mostly fingerpick too and have never had any finish or any other problems. I use a micro fiber cloth after each use as I do with my other ukes, KoAlohas and Kanile'a.
With my 3A Kamaka concert, the curl was even more noticeable after time as the finish aged.

Enjoy your new uke. It's meant to be played!

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I play it daily and love the curls my 3A koa is showing me as much as the beautiful tone. I would like to not obscure the beauty of the curls in the wood with scratches however. It distracts me a little when i'm playing that I may damage it. So my thinking is the scratch guard will alow me to be more carefree and enjoy it even more. Then again, if I scratch it, then it's scratched. It's meant to be enjoyed and played. Just trying to reduce possible damage where I can. Like how most people probably have a screen protector and case for their smart phone.

Of course you don't want to damage the finish of your beautiful 3A Kamaka. You also don't want to risk damaging it trying to protect it.
Maybe one of the builders from Luthiers Lounge could weigh in. Congrats again; enjoy!

I think I'd just cry in the corner if the Mylar scratch guard did more damage than protection. After thinking about it, most adhesive lables don't last a lifetime maybe I'm better off just being careful. It's nice to hear your having sucess without the protector though. Thank you for the vote of confidence for the finish.

Another thing to add, I think I read that sunlight fades the curles in koa. Is that true? Oh and sun screen is bad for nitro finish.

According to Kamaka's site, they say it's safe to use Martin Guitar Polish or GHS Guitar Gloss to clean/polish your uke.

I was researching these same concerns as well when I bought my Kamaka home. I also noticed the very faint hairline scratches on the finish from strumming and figured it's all part of wear and tear on an instrument that's going to be used/played BUT not to say it didn't hurt to see those scratches. I've grown to accept that my uke won't always look mint like the day I brought it home and I dread the day I get a ding (God forbid) on it but that's just me. I'm not big on pick guards. :p

I started using Virtuso Polish on my uke and the scratches disappeared. I did some research into the Virtuso polish and it's said to be designed originally to restore vintage instruments with nitro finishes. So far, no weird clouding or anything on my uke's finish and it shines it up quite a bit. The 4A curls now take on a whole new 3D holographic look.

I don't think you need to be overly worried about the finish crazing. There are pics of old vintage Kamaka ukes from the 60's etc and the finish still looks good.

Don't know anything about direct sunlight reducing the look of the curls seeing that the curls are part of the actual wood. Not sure if Koa darkens in sunlight like some other woods like cherry etc. That might be up to the luthiers section to ask that.

Congrats on your new Kamaka! :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. Your 4A koa must look so sweet. Only 3A was available when I put my order in. I wonder if the Gibson restorative cream for nitro fish that I have will do something similar to the virtuao polish you have.

Last edited:
Nitrocellulose lacquer is not a "high maintenance" finish. If it is fully cured and you don't abuse the instrument, it will be fine. Crazing is the result of temperature and humidity changes as the wood expands and contracts. You should not have any problem with crazing if you keep the instrument in a climate controlled environment. IMO, the warning against keeping instruments on stands is overblown. The thing about blue jeans is new to me and makes very little sense unless you're wearing a brand new pair that was overdyed and has never been washed. Yes, avoid insect repellant and other solvent-based substances. Leaning against a textured surface should leave no marks if the finish is fully cured and hardened. The mylar pickguards work well on nitro but can be tricky to apply without creases or bubbles. You may want a professional luthier to install it for you. My advice is to relax and play the uke. If you take reasonable care to avoid dings and scratches, it will take care of you.

Play it. Don't worry about it. If you scratch it, so what? It's an instrument, not an art object. Honest wear looks great on instruments. And do not expect nitro lacquer to be a forever-perfect finish; it's an inherently unstable finish. It starts to deteriorate as soon as it's sprayed as the plasticizers slowly gas off. It will eventually craze and chip; it might take years, but it will. Just look at any nitro finished instrument that is over about 30 years old. That's the nature of nitro.

Thanks for the feedback. Your 4A koa must look so sweet. Only 3A was available when I put my order in. I wonder if the Gibson restorative cream for nitro fish that I have will do something similar to the virtuao polish you have.

What did you get for your "special" HF3?

Play it. Don't worry about it. If you scratch it, so what? It's an instrument, not an art object. Honest wear looks great on instruments. And do not expect nitro lacquer to be a forever-perfect finish; it's an inherently unstable finish. It starts to deteriorate as soon as it's sprayed as the plasticizers slowly gas off. It will eventually craze and chip; it might take years, but it will. Just look at any nitro finished instrument that is over about 30 years old. That's the nature of nitro.

again i agree with rick..dont put a pick guard on it..just go play and have fun>> fingernail scratches happen>>..but watch out when you take it out of the case..problems hitting the latches>>oouch!! just play it hard like it was meant to be// and wipe it down when your done..

have fun and go play..

Last edited:
A story by which you can draw your own moral.

There's an old children's story about a boy who opened a new bar of soap, and loved it's perfect beauty so much, he couldn't bear the thought of using it, of running it under water, of ruining it. He put it in a little cardboard box, and every day or two, took it out and looked at it and smelled it and admired it's unworn look--the perfect bar of soap.

By and by, months later, he bought another bar of soap. It, too, was gorgeous and he wanted to save it rather than use it. When he went to put it in the little box with the other bar, he noticed something. The first bar, perhaps from his handling of it, or maybe from time itself, did not look the same. It was still shaped nicely, but was now older looking, slightly faded, and didn't even smell nice now, like the new bar.

The boy learned a lesson from his own experience.

Last edited:
Let me say this....If you don't protect your finish, your finish will wear out faster...so what is the best of two evils....I rather polish my ukes to protect and it looks real nice too..yes cheaper ukes may have orange peel too...which you may want to get out...the finish won't get worn down as fast too.....and you'll take the scratches out too....ever wonder why kamaka is so busy
with their repair list...I have come across lots of refinished kamakas...so I think, what is better polish or refinish..
You know it might be in my mind, but I swear it sounds better when I
polish my ukes...try a before and after test on one of your ukes.... I like to use Nu Polish auto polish for my ukes and when I have scratches, I use Nu polish
Scratch Doctor as it cuts faster to remove the scratches...( I wouldn't use Scratch Doctor all the time as it is too aggresive and may wear down the finish).
So you ask why I use an Auto Polish rather than a guitar polish...I believe it's stronger and lasts longer and you get more for your buck...Good Luck...
Can you imagine not ever polishing your new car ever and how it would look?? protection man unless you buy a nice uke custom which is almost always buffed out real nice gloss.
As for that plastic transparant pick guard..hell no way...just don't care for the looks of it.. I got it on one of my ukes I bought, not ever again...

Last edited:
Keep using that scratch doctor stuff and you won't have any finish to scratch if you've got nitro on there... That stuff is an abrasive.

I'll tell you this...my personal uke has a high gloss polyester finish on it; I just don't worry about it, and it looks great after five years of hard use. I toss it on the table at Uke Club; I only put it in a case when I'm traveling with it; I let anyone who wants to play it do so, and it's got the faintest look of wear. The finish is thin and incredibly tough, and I bet it will look great long after I'm a goner. A lightly dampened cloth with maybe a little denatured alcohol is all it takes to get fingerprints off. And even then, so what? I know that Joe over at Kanilea went over to polyester for all the reasons I did; we talked about it before he did.

I have a couple of older guitars with nitrocellulose finish. I've been careful not to bang them around or leave them in direct sunlight but they both have survived in great shape. I try to store them in their cases, mainly so no one steps on them or knocks them over. Once in a great while I wipe the finish with a slightly dampened cloth but I've rarely used a cleaner or a polish on them. The finish has developed a 'patina' which has enhanced their beauty.

I'm not saying this is the ideal or only way to care for a valuable instrument...just emphasizing that these instruments do not have to be worried over.
I've never seen a guitar player wipe his instrument down after every playing. Maybe its a uke thing. :)

Last edited:
If you have an instrument with nickel plated parts (hardware) or celluloid binding or purfling, you might not want to keep it in a case. The nitro off-gasses and one of the compounds formed is nitric acid which attacks plating and also hastens the deterioration of celluloid. I think you're better off hanging instruments on the wall properly or using a stand with padding that doesn't react with finish. This is based on my having been a repairman since 1963. Instruments that were new when I started are vintage now!

I do like Virtuoso polish and cleaner, though I hardly ever use them. They're great for spiffing up really funky and ill treated instruments, though.

Keep using that scratch doctor stuff and you won't have any finish to scratch if you've got nitro on there... That stuff is an abrasive.

I'll tell you this...my personal uke has a high gloss polyester finish on it; I just don't worry about it, and it looks great after five years of hard use. I toss it on the table at Uke Club; I only put it in a case when I'm traveling with it; I let anyone who wants to play it do so, and it's got the faintest look of wear. The finish is thin and incredibly tough, and I bet it will look great long after I'm a goner. A lightly dampened cloth with maybe a little denatured alcohol is all it takes to get fingerprints off. And even then, so what? I know that Joe over at Kanilea went over to polyester for all the reasons I did; we talked about it before he did.

Yes Rick,
Only time I use Scratch Doctor is to spiffy ukes badly cared or damaged ukes I buy..otherwise I hardly use the stuff.And I only polish my ukes initially for protection and maybe once a year...otherwise I wipe it down with a micro cloth because when I perspire and play it wears out and dulls the finish by my forearm on the top and back from my stomach.I noticed that when my friend sold me his kamaka he sprayed it with a nitro finish which is more
durable than my kamakas refinished at the factory..I am not sure if it is the brand of finish or how they spray or
cut their finish..

Top Bottom