Peace, Love and Ukulele

mm stan

Mystery Man
UU VIP
Reaction score
Last edited:
I can only give you my opinion on the album, which is that it's a pile of self indulgent and unimaginative junk, unfit even for an elevator or shopping mall.

Actually, I forgot to include the point to my post:

If you want to learn how to play the tracks on the CD, then it's probably worth the money. If you're not that bothered, I'd spend it on something else. Beer maybe.

I bought my copy for less on Amazon, 11.35 preordered. (13.59 now) It is not for beginners. The print is a bit small for me. I need plenty of light to see it well. I especially like the bonus transcriptions.

What's you need that book for, Stan? I hear you taught Jake and Bruce all they know on the uke.

What's you need that book for, Stan? I hear you taught Jake and Bruce all they know on the uke.

Ha Ha I wish....I guess it shows I don't know many of Jakes songs, and for me it's personal preference....I'm sure there is something that will fit my taste, that is why I'm asking..
I even went to his concert/show a couple weeks ago, and I still can name only two songs....sheesh

Last edited:
So I take it the book is not for beginners? That is not a surprise to me. Are there easy-teenage-new-york versions? (Points for recognizing that phrase)

But I still don't get why all the hate from Kahuna. The album is Peace, LOVE, Ukulele not Peace, I'm a wanker, Ukulele

You know, in honor of Kahuna, I'm going to play the whole album right now. At 11!

But I still don't get why all the hate from Kahuna. The album is Peace, LOVE, Ukulele not Peace, I'm a wanker, Ukulele

Don't know m8, it just seems to push all the wrong buttons in my brain. I love Jake, but I just think he's started to go down a bit of a Steve Vai dead end recently.

I will admit to being one of those to have bought this as a beginner on the uke (Feb. 2012)... actually part of the reason why I started playing the uke in the first place was bec. I wanted to take a stab at Bohemian Rhapsody (I know, I know, a bit of a dreamer here, but like my motto in life, nothing is impossible) I bought a Luna Tattoo Pineapple from Hawaii Music Supply. Played it and realized I needed more frets to be able to actually play some of the songs so I changed to a Concert sized uke. Also, I used to play the guitar and mostly a picker (is that the right word? :confused:) so it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. Right now, I'm working on Me and Shirley T (by Jake too) which is not in this book.

Suprisingly, lot's of Jake's songs are not that hard to play slow. What's tough is to make it sound good and play at the right speed.

I'm a huge Jake fan. I will not buy this book. I'm not really a beginner any more, or so I'm told. But I don't understand why new players buy this. But the book doesn't have the tabs for Jake songs I really want to learn. I don't know Stan, not sure why you would want this.

I understand why beginners buy it and some of the stuff is not that advanced. If you have some musical background you could maybe jump in on some of it. I think the second half of that album is epic. The thing is, if you like the music, go for it. But you should be inspired by the music and want to play it.
wolfchs- I love that song, Me and Shirley T! The song after is a beautiful solo piece, "floaters" I think? I wanna learn that one. You have a great attitude and that's the key.

I have this book because I like some songs like 143, hula girl and ukulele bro. Even I haven't learned any of those song completely. So Stan if you like any song inside the book, I'd say go for it.
I think the meaning of buying this book is not to become Jake one day, but this is an official transcription from Jake (and allowed by his manager lol...). You don't need to play like him exactly, or copy every note from the book. It is a good reference no matter what others think.

I really wasn't thinking of learning his songs rather than trying his tabs within the songs and getting certain riffs, finger positions and techniques....there is always something to learn between the lines even if it's not really your preference... my intention is not to copy Jake's style nor be like Jake...everyone has their own style they developed from their preferences, it's what makes playing music fun and so individual, creative and distinctive.....carve your own path rather than emulate others work....well if it's your thing and your favorite song... go for it...to me, going to a point where to learn a song that I don't enjoy playing, what's the use?? not talking about Jakes songs in particular..

Last edited:
I think you would like it Stan for some of the riffs. I bought it for While my guitar gently weeps and Bohemian rhapsody alone. I've been working on the first one I mentioned for a while now and tho it is difficult it's been fun and it's taught me some things. Next will be the 2nd one I mentioned. I always loved that song by Queen I was about 15 yrs old when it came out. I'll try some others after I get decent at those. Daniel said it perfectly it's not that difficult to play slowly but man it's tough when you try and put Jakes speed to it but it still sounds good slow. I would go for it if I were you. I got it on Amazon right after it came out for about $12 or $13. Good luck Stan.
I really wasn't thinking of learning his songs rather than trying his tabs within the songs and getting certain riffs, finger positions and techniques....there is always something to learn
between the lines even if it's not really your preference...

Top Bottom