Banjo uke help

rem50

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I just bought a concertone banjo uke from ernie. I got it in the mail today and for what I paid I am extremely happy. I know that this is in dire need of proper set up. It also needs new tuners. I have no idea how to do it or who I could hire. Does anyone know of a good luthier that can set this up properly to get everything out of it. I really believe this is a diamond in the rough and am willing to spend a bit to help it shine.
Here is the link to the original post:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...oncertone-banjo-uke-with-new-skin-Good-player!
Thanks for the help! Rem
BTW: do they always have a wound c string?

I noticed some of you have read the question I asked, Thank you. Just wondering if banjo uke luthiers are harder to find? Thanks again, Rem

First bit...loose the wound Aquila banjo uke strings and change the, to anyone else. I like Aquila concerts, I think that jnobianchi uses worthy. Just been my experience on a lot of bu's that the wound c really overpowers the rest of the strings in the set.
Second, where are you located?
Last, any banjo luthier should be able to sort neck angle and head tension for you (but if it is a skinhead you are going to want to learn...it will change at a moments notice), and any ukulele guy out to be able to address action, thou the bridge is decidedly a different animal all together. I suppose, and I am not entirely sure if he would at this point, Aaron Keim is about the best person to get all of it together for you.

I can see that the tuners are shot. I would try to replace them with Ping brand tuners. They have a little thinner shaft that often fits the holes of vintage headstocks. You can get them from elderly instruments for around $10.00. I wouldn't pay someone to do that. One tip, replace the top countersink washer with a flat stainless steel washer from the hardware store. That way, you likely don't have to alter the headstock at all.

I can't help with the rest as I have zero experience with banjo ukuleles, but TCK is right Aaron Keim is a wizard with them....and just a really cool guy. He is a member here and I am sure he would be glad to give you some thoughts or guidance if you ask.

thank you! I will try the tuner switch and and washers. I was wondering about the wound c string. I am going to replace the strings with regular concert uke strings too. I will also try to get ahold of Aaron. Thanks. btw TCK I am in jacksonville NC

Yes, the ping tuners are an easy switch with vintage banjo ukes, but I prefer to ream the holes larger and use something more substantial like grovers. When you say you need a setup, what do you think is the problem? That bridge is too larger for a small banjo uke and it appears to be too high. Although its hard to tell without having it in my hands. Sorry I can't be of more help, we have too many uke orders so I had to stop doing restorations!

Top Bottom