Most surprising frankenstein string set

bynapkinart

Reaction score
Just like the title: have you ever frankenstein(ed) together a string set that really blew you away unexpectedly?

My example: my A string on my Pono popped in the case overnight (Savarez Red). The string set before was a D'addario J71 high G string, Savarez Red C, E, and A strings. The only string I have to swap is a Ko'olau Gold wound C string...so I swapped the D'addario to the A and put the Ko'olau in as a low G.

G: Ko'olau Gold wound C string tuned low G
C: Savarez Red guitar D string tuned C
E: Savarez Red guitar B string tuned E
A: D'addario J71 guitar E string tuned A

Surprise! I'm actually really blown away by the tone, it's super powerful with the guitar strings and the wound Low G and I think I might actually keep this setup on for a few weeks just to see how I like it in the long run.

Has anyone else put together a string set on the fly they were sure they were going to not like but ended up loving?

Last edited:
No, but Sounds like fun.....but pricey. Southcoast linears do the same thing, except each string is selected based the optimal string tension for a given scale length. A true "custom" set, all for the price of one set of strings......for those of us who are less "adventuresome." LOL

I've done mix and matches, that sounded great - purely by accident. (Worth BL + Aquila C string).

OK. So give us a sound sample.

With my tenor Fluke, I've settled on Worth Clears with an Aquila nylgut C string. Love the sound!

Top Bottom