We Three (My Echo, My Shadow And Me)"

H

Hippie Dribble

1940. Nelson Cogane; Sammy Mysels; Dick Robertson.

One for The Cloverdale Kid...

my Gran...Vito- I am doomed to spend my whole life as a memory of who he was because, as I am told, I am just like him. I barely knew the man, but I can tell you the one time I clearly remember hanging out with him. I was nine, and he was about to be married to number three...we climbed into his attic and he dug out a stack of 78's. He had a phonograph hooked up up there- seemed it was his place to avoid the world, and I as a young feller enjoyed the opportunity as well (My ma, god love her, she is nuts and her sisters are worse...the Tripoli girls are a headache waiting to happen). In any event- he set about playing for me "real music". Turned out every damn record up there was the Ink Spots (I can still recall every one 31 years later), and of course this was on his playlist. I can smell the way the attic smelled-I can see everything that had been stored up there, discarded pretty much forever, and I can see my gran's face as clear as day. The way it lit up when the boys did this and so many other tunes- how could I not be a fan for life? Man meant the world to me even though I saw him only a few times, just because I have always been compared to him. My gran' is long gone (rest his soul), but the music brings it all right back...damn this is a great video mate. I am kinda tearing up. Thanks for posting. God love ya Vito, God love ya Pancho...and thanks for the tunes
Jeez- did I say I love you man? Don't want to leave that out.

Thanks so much you guys.

Dave that's such a precious memory mate, thanks for sharing it. Man, I love ya like the brother I never had

Pancho

Dave that's such a precious memory mate, thanks for sharing it. Man, I love ya like the brother I never had

Pancho
Mel was afraid to post that this video had tears streaming down my face (I guess I am not). Not sure if a crazy old fool in Cloverdale buys it relevance...but I figure it does. Just a stream of memories of a great and vaulted patriarch...all centered around a bunch of records. I ain't ashamed to admit they have saved my soul more than once. This is a great great video my friend...
But I best get outta here before I make an ass of myself
Lefty

Mel was afraid to post that this video had tears streaming down my face (I guess I am not). Not sure if a crazy old fool in Cloverdale buys it relevance...but I figure it does. Just a stream of memories of a great and vaulted patriarch...all centered around a bunch of records. I ain't ashamed to admit they have saved my soul more than once. This is a great great video my friend...
But I best get outta here before I make an ass of myself
Lefty
Sadly my most enduring, and I guess haunting memory of my grandad was him lying in a nursing home bed. My mum's dad died before I was born. Mum always said i would have loved him to bits and it's one of the sadnesses of my life to have not been around. he died young and was as precious to my mum as the breath in her lungs mate. Now she's nearing 80 you start to think about these things.

Mum and dad use to run a local dance in their younger days apparently. Was a pretty cool place to be...Dad played piano as a kid though as I near 41 I can say I've never seen him. Music just wasn't the driving passion in em like their only child I figure. But I can blame them for turning me onto country music as they wwere the kind of tapes they used to have lying around...Tom T Hall, John Denver, Glenn Campbell...you can guess the rest. Never thought much about it til I made it past 30 and heard "Old Dogs & Children & Watermelon Wine" on the radio one day...geez that's familiar...mentioned it to mum and we got to talking about the old times.

Bless up brother. I've cried more tears in the past 12 months than in the rest of my life combined. It's a good thing to let stuff out when you need to eh :)

Indeed it is my friend.
God I hope when we fall off this coil, we have few regrets. At the very least, we will certainly have a wake of great Ukulele videos behind us (yours more great than mine for sure).
I say put a tune on the phono and see if mum an dad can still go round
Shoot, I got just the thing

What a beautiful tune- thanks for the reminder :)
At the risk of being called a bro-mance again, you know I always got ya right?

Aloha Eugene,
Sweet Bruddah....making music and connecting back with the past brings fond memories....all the good things in life....keep your video's coming, you are such awesome friend with so much talent..

Very nice! Your videos are always a pleasure. Great sounding uke too!

Aloha Eugene,
Sweet Bruddah....making music and connecting back with the past brings fond memories....all the good things in life....keep your video's coming, you are such awesome friend with so much talent..
Stan, bless ya Bruddah, thankyou. Your friendship is precious to me too mate, always will be.
Very nice! Your videos are always a pleasure. Great sounding uke too!
cheers Uke552. I appreciate you watching and the generous comment. Lovely little uke for sure. It was one of the blemished pono MSD's recently offered for sale. Got it for a cray 180 bucks, less than half the normal retail. It is in superb condition and I have no idea what the blemish is to be honest. One of the best uke purchases I've ever made. :)

Indeed it is my friend.
God I hope when we fall off this coil, we have few regrets. At the very least, we will certainly have a wake of great Ukulele videos behind us (yours more great than mine for sure).
I say put a tune on the phono and see if mum an dad can still go round
Shoot, I got just the thing

What a beautiful tune- thanks for the reminder :)
At the risk of being called a bro-mance again, you know I always got ya right?

About 2 years ago we found an old 78 player at an auction. Gorgeous art-deco styled mahogany cabinet. Dad passed on his collection of 78's which was pretty huge though he never played a whole lot of music in my presence anyway. It's precious mate and takes pride of place in the studio. Next time they come and visit I'll do just that mate. Reckon they could still kick up their heels, or at least go a gentle waltz cheek to cheek...he he.

Got ya right back Dave. :) Thanks for the inspiration with this tune brother. I'm totally gone on it and been playing it non-stop now for two days. I think John's right, it's my new theme song...the river runs so deep with this it just hasta be now. :)

Top Bottom