Custom "Coffin" cases

adam2180

Reaction score
I have been building my own instrument cases for a while now. They are based on 19th century coffin cases that you see with many old parlor guitars. I don't build them to look perfect like they came from a factory. I build them to look old, but to be strong as hell, they WILL protect your instrument.

I recently built some custom coffin cases for a few people locally. I was thinking of doing a run of Ukulele cases and wanted to see if there was any interest. They are built out of solid pine and lined with felt, they are well padded. They have a compartment to store a few things like most cases. I try to find wood with nice looking knots for the tops, I can stain dark or keep natural (pine will yellow nicely over time). I was thinking $160 for the first few.

tumblr_m7w58zDfUG1qfmse2o1_500.jpg

tumblr_m7w4zqCfyN1qfmse2o1_500.jpg

tumblr_m7w513Mfh41qfmse2o1_500.jpg

I built this one for my (Gibson) Kalamazoo out of some scrap wood in my shop for myself.

Last edited:
Just realized this should probably be in the marketplace, if so please move it with my apologies!

They're beautiful and appear to be very functional. I like them although I couldn't go $160 for one. Best of success to you sir...!!!

At first before looking at the pictures, I would have said Nah....but when I saw the pictures...I went Wow Wow they look awesome ....nice job man....

Thanks man, I have been building them for guitars, mandolins and ukes so far but I can make them any size for anything really.

that would look like a perfect case for my Koaloha sceptre!

I build them to order, it depends on how many I have to make. I have to build them and stain and finish them. I usually say a week but it would probably take less.

I build each one to fit your particular instrument so I need a couple simple measurements to insure a proper fit.

Now I just have to deal with those pesky issues like not having had a paycheck for 6 weeks, property taxes, needing brakes for the car... Damned details!

that would look like a perfect case for my Koaloha sceptre!

-Kurt​

They are slightly heaver then a regular hard shell case (because there solid wood not ply wood or cardboard) but by no means uncomfortable to carry. The full size guitar cases can get heavy though.

Case

Add me to the list pleae

Top Bottom