Ukulele Picnic 2012 and breaking the Guiness World Record

redBee

Reaction score
Aloha everyone

I went to the Ukulele Picnic in Japan yesterday and I'd like to share some videos I took.

It was a good opportunity to meet some famous uke players from Japan and abroad, including Aldrine Guerrero!

Also, I was able to join the attempt to break the record of simultaneous ukulele playing, which was successful with 2134 people playing at the event!

The videos :

Aldrine plays while people gather for the record breaking event

Taimane Gardner entertaining the crowd

Annoucement of the new record

Kiyoshi Kobayashi

Kazuki & Naoto

Kazuki & Naoto play Hawaii 5.0

Seiji Katz & Yohei Okamoto - Knockin' on heaven's door

Seiji Katz - Canon

2012-07-27 at 19-59-47 - 2012-07-27 at 19-59-47.jpg

Mahalo!

Last edited:
I just saw that on the BBC news site, that must have been a cool event, something I would have loved to participate in.
Thanks for the videos I shall go and peruse them.:)

It was a very fun event. On stage, were also Chris and Casey Kamaka too.

The Col. Sanders doll is something unique to KFC in Japan. Every store has one greeting customers.
I just don't know why it was there! I guess KFC was one of the sponsors of the event?
* The Guiness representative states at one point that unfortunately, the colonel can't be counted for the record, lol.

It took like more than an hour to count and organize the people in the event, but at least meanwhile, we got to see Taimane and Aldrine playing.

ありがとうございました redBee! Missed both the Hawaii and Japan events this year, but there's always next year. I'll keep dreaming, anyway :)

どういたしまして!I hope you'll be able to join next time. This event is getting bigger every year!

Thanks for posting the videos! I was also one of the 1,234 people strumming for the record. It was a fun event, even if it was crazy hot, nasty weather... I got to meet Aldrine too, what a nice guy! He played really well too! I got a video of him playing earlier with Joe Sousa, I will share it if I can figure out how to get it off of my camera. Sony has done some strange software updates and managed to make things extremely complicated. :(
I also got to meet and talk with Iwao. A nice guy as well.
I wish I could have met a few more locals, I did manage to meet a few people from the area though, it was good times!

Thanks for posting the videos! I was also one of the 1,234 people strumming for the record. It was a fun event, even if it was crazy hot, nasty weather... I got to meet Aldrine too, what a nice guy! He played really well too! I got a video of him playing earlier with Joe Sousa, I will share it if I can figure out how to get it off of my camera. Sony has done some strange software updates and managed to make things extremely complicated. :(
I also got to meet and talk with Iwao. A nice guy as well.
I wish I could have met a few more locals, I did manage to meet a few people from the area though, it was good times!

Hi Maguwa san!
I didn't notice IWAO there, but there were so many people!
I could get my uke signed by Takagi Boo, Kiyoshi Kobayashi and Ukulele Eiji.

I just wish they didn't make 2 different stages playing at the same time. I think the main stage was interfering with the other smaller one and there were times I had to choose which artist to see.
But other than that, it was really fun!

Top Bottom