PDA

View Full Version : Ohio Kentucky West Va Meetup

Pondoro
07-29-2012, 09:46 AM
OK some people from Ashland, KY, Huntington, WV and Columbus, OH were wishing that the Dayton uke group was closer to them. I got on Google maps and found out that Tar Hollow State Park is about 1.5 to 2.0 hours from all those places, plus Cincinnati and Dayton.

I will look into getting a shelter on a Saturday in September or October. I don't plan to camp but camping is available, I plan to spend the day there uke-ing and cooking and go home that night. I'll pick a date within a week. I have one vote for the third weekend in October, I have to check my own schedule first and that will take a couple of days. It will not be Labor Day or Halloween or October 13th.

pootsie
07-29-2012, 10:07 AM
I am so TOTALLY there, dude.

(Schedule permitting) ;)

Jinxi
07-29-2012, 10:41 AM
The third weekend in October is do-able for me. Any weekend in September (sans Labor Day, of course) would also work.

watchyourtoes
07-29-2012, 06:22 PM
I'll make any day work, but if it happens to be the 3rd week of October, that's extra-excellent. I'm on stay-cation that week. Let me know any help you need to make this happen.

consitter
07-29-2012, 06:31 PM
I'll do my darnedest to make it. My only problem is I work midnite shift on both ends of the day.

dougn200
07-29-2012, 06:33 PM
I will be there if dates work out

Pondoro
07-30-2012, 03:12 PM
OK, here is some info on Tar Hollow. We can rent shelters for $45 or $50. There is no admission fee to the park. The $50 shelters are near the lake and the concession stand and have electricity. The $45 shelters are "on the hill", are "secluded" and "you have to drive to get to the lake." The $45 shelters also have no electricity.

No alcohol is allowed.

I think the next step is to choose a date and see how many people are willing to sign up. Ten people would mean $4.50 or $5.00 each. I fully expect several people to say, "I will be there" but then have a change of plans. So if we get the shelter and only 5 show it turns into $10 each.

The other option is no shelter but then we risk weather. If a few people have those pop-up shelters we could use those, to lower the financial commitment.

How many could attend on September 22 or October 20th?

watchyourtoes
07-31-2012, 12:05 AM
OK, here is some info on Tar Hollow. We can rent shelters for $45 or $50. There is no admission fee to the park. The $50 shelters are near the lake and the concession stand and have electricity. The $45 shelters are "on the hill", are "secluded" and "you have to drive to get to the lake." The $45 shelters also have no electricity.

No alcohol is allowed.
U
I think the next step is to choose a date and see how many people are willing to sign up. Ten people would mean $4.50 or $5.00 each. I fully expect several people to say, "I will be there" but then have a change of plans. So if we get the shelter and only 5 show it turns into $10 each.

The other option is no shelter but then we risk weather. If a few people have those pop-up shelters we could use those, to lower the financial commitment.

How many could attend on September 22 or October 20th?

Either one works for me

Mandalyn
07-31-2012, 11:12 AM
I can attend either date.

Pondoro
08-03-2012, 02:27 PM
OK no one has said that October 20 is good but Sept 22 is bad. Everyone is either "busy both days" or "free both days." The Milwaukee uke fest is October 20 so I will have the Ohio - WV - KY uke meet-up on September 22. Please suggest an appropriate name for this event.

Pondoro
08-04-2012, 01:15 PM
Watchyourtoes is reserving a site on Sept 22. When he has a number we will publicize it. We will collect money to reimburse him, should be less than $ 5 per person. I'll propose that we don't charge for kids - does that seem fair?

Mandalyn
08-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Sounds good to me!

Pondoro
08-07-2012, 03:49 PM
Name that event - Someone suggested "Midwest Uke Fest" - but that is taken. Plus there are a bunch of uke fests in the greater Midwest, stretching from UWC in Indiana to events in Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, etc. "Ohio - Kentucky - West Virginia" is tempting, but there are people in Pennsylvania who are almost as close. Tar Hollow State Park is too far northwest to be accurately called "Appalachia", although I have learned that it resides on the "Appalachian Plateau." I am leaning towards "Tar Hollow Uke Fest", unless a really great alternative pops up.

gitarzan
08-08-2012, 06:19 PM
I'll do my best to be there. I'd call it Ukebilly Convocation 2012.

watchyourtoes
08-11-2012, 06:59 PM
If we're gonna go the hillbilly route, we could call it "Tar Holler Uke Fest" or "Tar Hollow Ukulele Jamboree"

Or if we want to make it impossible to say without stuttering: "Jambolele on the Lake"

Pondoro
08-21-2012, 02:46 PM
I am bumping this, we are definitely on.

September 22nd at Tar Hollow State Park in Ohio. This location is between one and 1-1/2 hours from Cincinnati, Dayton, Columbus, Ashland, KY, Huntington, WV or Parkersburg, WV. It is just under three hours from Wheeling and just under four hours from Cleveland.

Jinxi from this forum is making a brochure and putting the event on "Meetup", when she is through I will post a link here. Watchyourtoes has reserved a shelter. The shelter cost about $45, we will try to pass the hat and reimburse him, should be less than $5 per person.

Please RSVP so we can understand the potential size of the crowd.

I will be there all day but do not intend to camp. Camping is available in the park, but you should arrange that yourself if you want it.

ckellogg
08-21-2012, 03:44 PM
Thanks for putting this together. I've shared it on the new Columbus OH ukulele meetup group (Buckeye Ukulele Society).

pootsie
08-21-2012, 06:55 PM
WooHoo!
Yippee!

I'm filling out my SPS-490 spousal permission request form now!

ckellogg
08-22-2012, 03:36 AM
[QUOTE=pootsie;1024659

I'm filling out my SPS-490 spousal permission request form now![/QUOTE]

Totally LOL while I was sitting in a meeting reviewing the new electronic leave request formats at work.....

pootsie
08-22-2012, 04:52 AM
Please complete and submit in triplicate

Pondoro
08-22-2012, 03:37 PM
Please complete and submit in triplicate

My wife is so cool, when she finds out about these events she tells me to go.

gitarzan
08-23-2012, 02:52 AM
Mind's good about music stuff too. I don't golf, I don't hang out in bars, I don't drink much at all, and I keeps the little feller where it belongs.

She goes along to music stuff if its not to early in the morning, And she doesn't say much if anything if suddenly I am strumming a new ukulele in the house. However a new Gretsch banjolele is on the way, I wonder how she's going to take that.

Jinxi
08-23-2012, 05:14 AM
You know, you guys could bring your wives to the meet-up. It is a good-sized state park that has trails for hiking, mountain biking, and horseback riding. There is also fishing, boating, camping, a playground, routes for scenic drives through the forest...heck, it even says it offers camping for people with horses. Soooo....wives, husbands, boyfriends, girlfriends, kids, grand-kids and cousins should find something to do. Even better, they might realize how cool we all are sitting around playing our ukulele's and finally decide to play too. :)

Just a thought.

Anywhoo....some of the basic info is now posted on Meet-up. More information will be added as I get it organized. Bear with me on the timing of the information, I will get it up as quickly as possible. Here's a link to the meet-up page: http://www.meetup.com/Tar-Hollow-Ukulele-Meeting/events/79019652/?

maclay
08-23-2012, 11:31 AM
I am bumping this, we are definitely on.

September 22nd at Tar Hollow State Park in Ohio. This location is between one and 1-1/2 hours from Cincinnati, Dayton, Columbus, Ashland, KY, Huntington, WV or Parkersburg, WV. It is just under three hours from Wheeling and just under four hours from Cleveland.

Hey, Wheeling is my hometown :). I live in California now, so I will not be able to attend.
Unfortunately I don't know anybody else who plays uke in the Wheeling area. Let me know how it turns out.

pootsie
08-23-2012, 03:59 PM
My spousal permission form has been accepted, reviewed, and permission granted.

See y'all there!

Pondoro
08-23-2012, 10:25 PM
My spousal permission form has been accepted, reviewed, and permission granted.

See y'all there!

Great! See you there.

Pippin
08-24-2012, 09:59 PM
I saw this on the Meetup for Columbus. Count me in... I have to mark this on the calendar.

By the way, my grandmother (mother's side) was born in a log cabin on Poe's Run in Tar Hollow. The first white settler in Ohio lived not far from that spot and also near Chillicothe, Oh. That was my g-g-g-g-g-g-g-great-grandfather. His last name was Galloway. Oddly, I live in Galloway-- named after the family.

Pondoro
08-25-2012, 01:58 AM
I saw this on the Meetup for Columbus. Count me in... I have to mark this on the calendar.

By the way, my grandmother (mother's side) was born in a log cabin on Poe's Run in Tar Hollow. The first white settler in Ohio lived not far from that spot and also near Chillicothe, Oh. That was my g-g-g-g-g-g-g-great-grandfather. His last name was Galloway. Oddly, I live in Galloway-- named after the family.

I'd like to meet you Pippin, I read your magazine and you've given me some advice over the years as I was coming up to speed.

Pippin
08-26-2012, 11:10 AM
I'd like to meet you Pippin, I read your magazine and you've given me some advice over the years as I was coming up to speed.

Pondoro, I am looking forward to meeting you, too. I am looking forward to meeting everyone there. I met a bunch of nice folks today at the Buckeye Ukulele Society, a Columbus Ukulele Meet-up group.

Pondoro
08-28-2012, 12:55 AM
Announcement - Our meeting is at "The Sycamore Shelter". We will have a map up soon. Previously announced as the "big shelter", due to a mistake made by a camp staffer.

Watchyourtoes and I both plan to arrive about 9:30 AM.

gitarzan
09-04-2012, 07:28 PM
I am look forward to this so much. It's going to be a great day. :cool:

Pondoro
09-05-2012, 03:55 PM
Jennifer (Jinxi) has posted a great flyer and some maps on meetup, Since not all of you are on meetup I'm posting info both places. I'll bring a big bag of charcoal and start one or more cooking fires in the grills. Anyone can use them.

Jennifer also suggested spouses and I know a few will be there. If your spouse also plays the uke that is cool but if they do not that is cool as well. If my wife shows she will drop me off and go on to Athens to visit our daughter at OU, but most likely she will have to work.

Pondoro
09-08-2012, 03:05 PM
Hey two more things to bring:
Lawn chairs (not sure if we mentioned that before)
Bring a song and maybe 10 copies of it, so you can teach it to others.

watchyourtoes
09-09-2012, 03:22 AM
Mind's good about music stuff too. I don't golf, I don't hang out in bars, I don't drink much at all, and I keeps the little feller where it belongs.

She goes along to music stuff if its not to early in the morning, And she doesn't say much if anything if suddenly I am strumming a new ukulele in the house. However a new Gretsch banjolele is on the way, I wonder how she's going to take that.

I just got a Gretsch Clarophone a few weeks ago and I flippin' love it. Needed quite a bit of bone taken out of the nut and the strings it came with are garbage, as is usual with most new ukes, but then she sang and twang like a big boy banjo!

gitarzan
09-10-2012, 02:46 AM
I just got a Gretsch Clarophone a few weeks ago and I flippin' love it. Needed quite a bit of bone taken out of the nut and the strings it came with are garbage, as is usual with most new ukes, but then she sang and twang like a big boy banjo!

I was at a folk music get together Sat night and got a complaint about it being too loud.
:o

watchyourtoes
09-11-2012, 11:55 AM
I was at a folk music get together Sat night and got a complaint about it being too loud.
:o

Too loud? That's the best part! It's nice to have a way that our little ukes can play with the steel-stringers and be heard. Speaking of which- I'm working on building a small army (8-12) of solid body, steel string, tenor-scaled, electric ukes for myself, some friends, and couple to sell. I've become obsessed and have spent the majority of my free time carving necks and bodies. They are all based on some of my favorite guitar designs. I should have the Thinline UkuTele and the Jagulele finished in time to bring to Tar Hollow for show and tell. If everything progresses as planned, the Ukenbacker will be finished by then as well.
If the people at that folk jam thought the banjolele was loud, they should hear one of these through a tube amp cranked to 11, haha.

Pondoro
09-15-2012, 10:56 AM
Between Facebook, Meetup and Ukulele Undergrounds there are about ten confirmed attendees and close to ten "maybe" attendees. We are on rain or shine. I guess snow or hurricanes would stop us but they are unlikely.

gitarzan
09-18-2012, 05:08 PM
Really? I figured it would be thousands.

Jinxi
09-20-2012, 09:56 AM
The big day is coming up!! I hope everyone is excited as I am. Just thought I'd send out a reminder to everyone to bring a picnic lunch plus something to share, about 10 copies of a song (or two) to pass around, lawn/camp chairs if you don't want to sit on a picnic table bench to play and about $5 cash to reimburse Winston for securing the shelter.

***IMPORTANT*** Even though I have put up maps and directions, I strongly encourage you to look up directions from your house. I also recommend that you print out the map of the park to find the shelter.

Last, but not least. It has been suggested that we do a group entry for the 31st season of the Ukulele contest. The theme is rain and I think it would be fun to do. Winston said he has an older camera and tripod we can use but if anyone else is willing to bring one, a back-up would be nice. Also, we'll need songs about rain. Check out contest forums for the rules.

Oh, and anyone seeing this for the first time, more info is on Meet Up:
http://www.meetup.com/Tar-Hollow-Ukulele-Meeting/
See you on Saturday!!!

gitarzan
09-20-2012, 06:59 PM
well im bailing out. while i truly want to go, i found that TWO other organizations that i belong to has other events the same day.

i cant really weasel out of them. so, maybe next time.:(

consitter
09-20-2012, 07:07 PM
I'll be there! I'm stoked about this!!

Pondoro
09-21-2012, 01:34 PM
Attendance is looking to be in the high teens to maybe 20's, weather is looking cool but dry. Bring your long sleeves and your short sleeves. And ukes and lunch. And ten or twenty copies of some song that you'd like us all to learn. I'm bringing, "Have you ever seen the rain."

watchyourtoes
09-21-2012, 04:16 PM
I think most of my uke-playing compadres have already bailed, but I'll def. be there all day. @consitter and I may end up being the only Ashlanders. I'm so excited I can't sleep. I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve, haha.

Pondoro
09-21-2012, 04:48 PM
We've got a few from Cinti/Dayton and a couple from Columbus. It'll be a good time!

consitter
09-21-2012, 05:43 PM
I think most of my uke-playing compadres have already bailed, but I'll def. be there all day. @consitter and I may end up being the only Ashlanders. I'm so excited I can't sleep. I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve, haha.

Me too. I really can't sleep. I'm working! But I'll be there sometime in the morning.

pootsie
09-21-2012, 06:59 PM
waahh... CAN'T GO!!!!

:(:wallbash:

consitter
09-21-2012, 07:19 PM
waahh... CAN'T GO!!!!

:(:wallbash:

What?!? I thought you had the spousal permission slip taken care of!!!

pootsie
09-21-2012, 07:31 PM
What?!? I thought you had the spousal permission slip taken care of!!!

Rescinded, revoked, removed, relinquished.

Things came up and it just won't work out. I has teh sad

consitter
09-21-2012, 07:36 PM
That's a shame. I was really looking forward to meeting you. Maybe next time.

pootsie
09-22-2012, 03:17 AM
dittoz :(
:(

Mandalyn
09-22-2012, 04:06 AM
Sorry to hear that pootsie.
Looking forward to seeing everyone else!

Jinxi
09-22-2012, 01:57 PM
Just got home from Tar Hollow and I gotta say, it was a blast! It was wonderful to meet everyone. I feel like a kid getting off a roller coaster because I wanna do it again!! :)

watchyourtoes
09-22-2012, 04:45 PM
Thanks, everyone. This was the most fun I've had in years. This is the first ukulele event of any kind I've had the opportunity to attend.
I've always been an shy/introverted person and usually need a while to get comfortable around unfamiliar people/places. Today, though, I felt as if I were jamming with old friends. I suppose that's more "uke magic." Now that I've gotten a taste, I want more! It was such a pleasure to meet all of you!

consitter
09-22-2012, 05:50 PM
I want to take the opportunity to say "Thank you," to everyone involved in the 'Tar Hollow Uke Fest' today. It was a wonderful experience. Like Winston said I felt like we were a bunch of old friends getting together. It was my extreme pleasure meeting you all and hope to do it again sometime soon!

Scott

Pondoro
09-23-2012, 02:05 PM
I want to thank everyone as well. What a great group of people: friends from the start, accepting, helpful and non-competitive.

Uke people are the friendliest group I have ever met. When a 13-ish girl whose family was camping looked on in obvious envy of our group she was invited in, Jen taught her two chords and we played every two chord song we could think of. I do not even know her last name but I know we made her day, treated her like a peer, and helped her confidence grow.

I predict the Ashland/Huntington group will grow - Consitter and Watchyourtoes have experienced the fun of uke meetings, I expect they'll plan some more in your area.

Pondoro
09-23-2012, 02:09 PM
http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w163/pondoro_bucket/Tar%20Hollow%202012/

Pictures here...

Mandalyn
09-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Thanks for sharing the pictures. I had a lot of fun yesterday!

consitter
09-24-2012, 01:20 AM
Thanks Pondoro for the pics. Proof to my wife I was really there! ;)