Non-sing-along advice needed

penpen007

Reaction score
So as I have been looking at beginner guides on the internet the past week, I realized a lot of emphasis is put on learning the common chords and knowing the strumming pattern of each song. I am now able to switch freely among about 10 common chords now. So I'd like to set a goal for myself. What bothers me is a lot of those guides I've seen is centered around sing-along type of songs. For now, I really just want to pick a song/tab I really like, and simply play out the notes without having to sing, just like piano. I am having a little trouble finding tips on that. If anyone could just give me some advice and tips on that, I'll greatly appreciate it. Perhaps I should familiarize myself with different scales first?

There are some good suggestions and links in this thread. I'm a non-singer as well (although I will gladly sing in a group), and when I first started learning to play I would pick out the melody notes from the chord progressions I already had, or just try to come up with melodies by ear. And yes, familiarizing yourself with scales helps.

There are some good suggestions and links in this thread. I'm a non-singer as well (although I will gladly sing in a group), and when I first started learning to play I would pick out the melody notes from the chord progressions I already had, or just try to come up with melodies by ear. And yes, familiarizing yourself with scales helps.

Thank you, i'll make sure to look into that thread.

I get really frustrated, when i see "tab" i assume im going to see
-0--x------------------
-1--x------------------
-0--x------------------
-2--x------------------ and so on, and when i see "chords" ill see C G Am F , yet people seem to intermingle the two, so when im looking for a version of a song in tab format, its swamped by chords instead.

i find it helps if you search for Instrumental tab

hope it helps!

Sam

Check out http://dominator.ukeland.com/index2.shtml... Dominator has put together a ton of great tabs. I probably should learn scales and focus more on theory, but I've gotten by pretty well on just learning tabs. It will get you playing instrumental pieces quickly and you can go back to studying scales later.

Check out http://dominator.ukeland.com/index2.shtml... Dominator has put together a ton of great tabs. I probably should learn scales and focus more on theory, but I've gotten by pretty well on just learning tabs. It will get you playing instrumental pieces quickly and you can go back to studying scales later.

:agree: completely! the amount of times ive said im going to buy a book on it, or spend time on it, but that time just never pops up haha

Top Bottom