New D'Addario strings, I now have a buzz!

upskydowncloud

Reaction score
New D'Addario strings, help!

Hey,

I just received my concert D'Addario strings to replace my standard GHS strings. I've installed the A and E strings. They sound really good and feel excellent (thanks UU!). The problem is that when the A string is tuned correctly there is a buzzing when you play the string open. I've checked and it doesn't seem like the string is rubbing on any of the frets.

The buzz disappears if you turn the tuning gear only a slight bit higher (so the string tightens) but then it's out of tune! I'm assuming that it's loose so is vibrating against something but I can't see what.

I was wondering if anyone knows what the problem may be or if it will go away?

Thanks,

John

Last edited:
I would just be patient and see if it goes away as the strings stretch and settle.

Last week I put Worth clears on my Jenny Concert and had a bit of buzzing here and there as the strings settled. Fortunately it's gone now.

I have to say I don't care much for the Worth strings. They're okay to play, but they are not as mellow a sound as I would like. If I didn't hate changing strings so much, I'd put Aquilas back on it!

the reason why when you change to different brand strings and it "may" cause buzzing... its because the action is too low.

Different strings have different mesurments. so obviously if the saddle and nut was made for a thicker type E string but the brand you bought was actually ALOT thinner... the action would be extremely low unless you take it apart and adjust the height of the action...

To fix i just cut a little peice of string that fits into the section where the string sits on the saddle.
and let the New strings sit on that.

Abit confusing? Maybe a photo might help later when i take it

sorry

Which D'Addario strings did you buy? I'm guessing that you bought strings that are a tiny bit fatter in diameter than the GHS strings.

The diameter of the GHS concert A string is .025 inches, and I think the D'Addario strings you bought have their A string at .028 inches. 3 thousandths of an inch is enough to give you buzz sometimes. The tension may be lower as well, I'm not sure.

If you don't want to get your ukulele set up again for the new strings, you'll have to either buy nylon strings that have their A strings at .025 inches, or buy strings made of another material that have higher tensions.

Thanks for the reply guys.

I don't have the measurements of the new strings with me 'cos I'm on the train Seeso but I think you must be right. I can tell that the new strings are thicker just by looking at them. I should have thought of that before I bought them. It looks like I'll have to put the old strings back on the uke for now and change to a different sort. I don't want to have to modify my uke as I'll probably break it!

Presumably it'll have to be Aquilas for the new ones?

John

At first read, one would think D'Addario Strings are to blame for the buzz, and I think that may have unconsciously been the intent.

In either case, Seeso probably nailed it - D'Addario's tend to be thicker, and your string is not sitting properly in the nut slot, causing buzzing.

I've stated before, only to be nicely told that I'm not correct, that string changes should also have the setup redone. Let me change that to checked. Basically, your string change necessitated a setup check, which was not done.

Just out of curiosity, why would you switch to Aquila, when the intent was to string up D'Addario's? Two different strings, and different results.

I'll have to second on what Kekani said.
I have done several string changes on my different Ukes lookin for the "right" sound.
On a few it is very noticeable where the string sits on the nut that the slots don't fit the strings.
On a couple there has been a buzz and on some the string sits high and makes it hard to fret on the first fret, (my new Pono Soprano is killin my fingers) but I live with it till the strings stretch/set and I know I like the sound then go to my local Uke/Folk music shop and they set the nut slot to match the strings.

Any Guitar shop worth calling themselfs one could help you out with adjusting your nutz..... but I have found Folk Music Style shops to be nicer to deal with....

Last edited:
At first read, one would think D'Addario Strings are to blame for the buzz, and I think that may have unconsciously been the intent.

In either case, Seeso probably nailed it - D'Addario's tend to be thicker, and your string is not sitting properly in the nut slot, causing buzzing.

I've stated before, only to be nicely told that I'm not correct, that string changes should also have the setup redone. Let me change that to checked. Basically, your string change necessitated a setup check, which was not done.

Just out of curiosity, why would you switch to Aquila, when the intent was to string up D'Addario's? Two different strings, and different results.

I don't know a great deal about the strings to be honest. I know D'Addarios have a nice mellow sound with good sustain. I basically just wanted an upgrade from the standard strings. If the D'Addarios won't work I figured Aquilas would be the next best step from my GHSs.

I have little idea how to change the set up but I will look into it. I'm tempted to restring with my GHSs for now, I can't stand not being able to play my uke!

I do need to set it up!

Hey guys it looks like I will have to change the set up of my uke after all. I put the old A string back on and the buzzing is there with that too! Something must have happened to the nut when I took the string off the first time.

I've noticed that the buzzing goes away if I use my finger to pull the string to the right hand side of the slot in the nut that the string sits in.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how I can modify the nut to stop the buzz?

I do need to set it up!

EDIT: I solved the problem by just putting tightening the string in the tuner the opposite way so the tuner pulled the string down the nut rather than having to modify it. Thanks for all the help guys.

Hey guys it looks like I will have to change the set up of my uke after all. I put the old A string back on and the buzzing is there with that too! Something must have happened to the nut when I took the string off the first time.

I've noticed that the buzzing goes away if I use my finger to pull the string to the right hand side of the slot in the nut that the string sits in.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how I can modify the nut to stop the buzz?

EDIT: I solved the problem by just putting tightening the string in the tuner the opposite way so the tuner pulled the string down the nut rather than having to modify it.

Yeah, that would do it. I would still check the nut. If you find that you're tuning correctly, and it always goes out of tune (flat), then you still may have a nut slot problem. Of course, there are other things that could happen - that just seems to be a common one.

As for D'Addario's, if you're using their original `ukulele strings, they pretty much suck. Mellow would be nice word. Their Pro Artes (which is derived from their Classical Guitar sets) on the other hand, mellow would not be something I would use to describe those.

Yeah, that would do it. I would still check the nut. If you find that you're tuning correctly, and it always goes out of tune (flat), then you still may have a nut slot problem. Of course, there are other things that could happen - that just seems to be a common one.

As for D'Addario's, if you're using their original `ukulele strings, they pretty much suck. Mellow would be nice word. Their Pro Artes (which is derived from their Classical Guitar sets) on the other hand, mellow would not be something I would use to describe those.

I'm using the Pro Artes, they seem fine. I expected a huge difference from my GHSs but so far I haven't noticed much. They are thicker, feel smoother and sound a bit better on some notes. They definitely sound more mellow than the GHSs.

Oops, I forgot, you're probably using the J46 Pro Artes. I use the J50, unless the instrument is begging for J46. The J50 is way different, and yes, I would say the J46 is sweeter compared to the J50.

Both are great strings - have fun.

Top Bottom